Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 08:34 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
I don't have the time to look into the "for profit prisons" but I do know that Kasich has a humbling heart for the poor, is not a fair-taxer and has blasted the GOP for the being against the poor in the past:
John Kasich Blasts GOP For 'War On Poor' - Business Insider.

If getting $700 a month is not enough perhaps you should start a new subject on that. I don't know what the right answer is but I do know Kasich is more willing to help the less fortunate than others in the GOP.
That says more about the GOP than about Kasich though. Just because the GOP is a radical organization bent on catering to the most powerful special interests in the country at the expense of the disabled, the sick, the poor and the elderly doesnt make Kasich a "moderate".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I consider myself a centrist moderate. Many people label me a liberal others a conservative. I'm black so have been called, to my face by quite a few black Democrats a "black Republican" as if it was some sort of slur for me to get offended about lol.

But on your questions. I think moderates just aren't that passionate about politics like the extremists are. I don't think we could create a moderate party due to that. We are not exciting.

On the recent election, I voted for Clinton. For the down ticket, I voted for a GOP for senator and a mix between other persons running in our local area.

In the primary, since I'm a registered independent, I voted for Kasich. I live in Ohio and voted for Kasich in our last gubernatorial race.

On candidates themselves, I don't think any candidate can be 100% great. I don't like Kasich's stance on abortion for instance and I think he does a poor job on environmental issues.

On Obama, I do think he was more of a centrist democrat. One of the gripes I constantly heard from my "super liberal" friends was that he was not liberal enough. Contrary to what many of the right believe a lot of liberals were disappointed in Obama for his lack of liberalism.

On GW Bush, I also thought that he was more of a moderate Republican once he got into office. Both he and Obama played to the based to get elected but moderated their stances once in office IMO.

I personally never thought Trump was a true conservative. I think he is more of a nuttier independent lol. I also think a lot of people who claim to be independents are Libertarian leaning - which I think is the case for Trump and I don't think highly of Libertarianism.

But I do feel that moderates can sway an election. I feel too many of us were not gung ho about either candidate in 2016, I know I was not, and that that kept many away from the polls as they felt neither was a good choice. I think if more would have voted, things would have turned out differently. I also believe true moderates (not really the Libertarian independents as I view them more as conservatives with a few liberal views but mostly conservative Republicans) have a lot of power in our electoral process because we are less likely to fall for propaganda and ridiculous rhetoric bring sanity to the electoral process. I live in Ohio as state above and I feel we have a lot of sane independents here. We are rather rational IMO and have a lot of sway in elections. Many of the independent moderates I know in Ohio did not vote for president in 2016.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
That says more about the GOP than about Kasich though. Just because the GOP is a radical organization bent on catering to the most powerful special interests in the country at the expense of the disabled, the sick, the poor and the elderly doesnt make Kasich a "moderate".
On this, I do feel that Kasich is a rather moderate Republican mostly because I think he is "old school" and a Republican similar to Eisenhower.

I do think he is conservative though and that conservatives who don't think he is have their head in the sand. He is not a Libertarian leaning Republican though and those people seem to be the ones who are taking over the GOP.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
I am the only moderate among my circle of friends/family who tend to be very liberal (mostly recent friendships and family currently living up North) or very conservative (older friendships when I lived in the South).

It is a lot easier to argue the issues on one side or another with a group of like minded people standing behind you. It is a lot more difficult to argue the grey areas of politics and social issues... moderates views vary. There's no one party that they can identify with. So to unify them under a single view is more difficult.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,222 times
McCain Republicans are moderately honest, and only on their best days.

Tulsi Gabbard Democrats are radically honest even on their worse days.

That is the difference between a moderate and radical here.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Tribalism is fun. "Us vs. them" games are fun. It's why college and professional sports are so popular.

Rational discussion of issues? Bor-ing!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Why Are Moderate Political Views Just Not That Popular?

Not sure.

Perhaps we live in a time of passion and outright hysteria? Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with views that are somewhat in the middle.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
The problem is, we have very few in any position of power, that are actually "moderate". We have largely devolved into 3 camps:

1) The far right, religious, "because god said so" type (Cruz)
2) The far left, "gimme free chit, punish the "rich"" type (aka Berniebots)
3) The "corporatist" establishment of both parties, who push to continue to enable the financial industry and corporatists/globalists that are in office primarily to enrich themselves and their benefactors (aka Hillary, Mccain, etc)

There really is no one that promotes a moderate stance that benefits Americans, that puts American businesses (as opposed to global corporations) and American workers first. Well...until Trump. Who in spite of his faults (and there are plenty) is moderate on many issues. His stance on criminal aliens is opposed by the "corporatist" crowd who like to exploit the cheap labor. As is his stance on targeted tariffs that level the playing field for American workers. I just wish he'd abandon the abortion restriction issue. I understand he threw a bone to the religious right for their support, but it still hurts his centrist stance.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The problem is, we have very few in any position of power, that are actually "moderate". We have largely devolved into 3 camps:

1) The far right, religious, "because god said so" type (Cruz)
2) The far left, "gimme free chit, punish the "rich"" type (aka Berniebots)
3) The "corporatist" establishment of both parties, who push to continue to enable the financial industry and corporatists/globalists that are in office primarily to enrich themselves and their benefactors (aka Hillary, Mccain, etc)

There really is no one that promotes a moderate stance that benefits Americans, that puts American businesses (as opposed to global corporations) and American workers first. Well...until Trump. Who in spite of his faults (and there are plenty) is moderate on many issues. His stance on criminal aliens is opposed by the "corporatist" crowd who like to exploit the cheap labor. As is his stance on targeted tariffs that level the playing field for American workers. I just wish he'd abandon the abortion restriction issue. I understand he threw a bone to the religious right for their support, but it still hurts his centrist stance.
I would have less of an issue with Trump if he seemed to be taking his job seriously and if he'd not appointed people like Steve Bannon and Betsy DeVos.

I don't like him, but... that would be irrelevant.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I would have less of an issue with Trump if he seemed to be taking his job seriously and if he'd not appointed people like Steve Bannon and Betsy DeVos.

I don't like him, but... that would be irrelevant.
I have no issues with DeVos. Our educational industry is a disaster-it needs a radical shakeup. And no one from within the industry is liable to do that. Especially someone that has ties to the teacher's unions. She may fail, but I'm willing to give her a chance.

As to Bannon-I think a lot of the attacks against him are far overblown. Just the same, I wish Trump had selected someone else, just so as to not provide ammo to his critics. Thing is, I don't think it would have mattered who he picked. He could have asked Obama to serve in his cabinet and his opponents would have attacked him for it. So, worst case, Bannon is the lightning rod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies