Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
What I think is interesting is the video has apparently been removed from Youtube, the news wouldn't show it but how many times have we seen alot worse.
If our media were to show the actual day to day raw footage of war, it would be over by the end of the week. People carry on all the time about how the media never presents all the good things our boys do, and I have no doubts that we do many good things. However, I say the media never shows the real face of war, the face that is bodies in pieces laying in streets, flesh splattered upon the walls of cities and the sand stained red in the waste of humanity that is war.

People see a video of a cop using a taser against some unruly teenager resiting arrest and they loose their ever loving minds as they cry out about the inhumanity and injustice of it all. I have to wonder what they would say if they saw the real inhumanity of what our soldiers have to deal with on a good day in Iraq... surviving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
But you also know that this story (about the soldiers killing babies in incubators) was dispelled a long time ago.

The country of Japan has been in lock down for weeks now because of more stupid Marine activity; rapes, aggravated assault, etc.

Isolated incidents in great numbers.
Yes, I was using sarcasm. I am well aware that even our troops do terrible things and commit horrible acts, but I also know we do not subscribe to this kind of behavior and that our troops are professional and humane. In cases where horrid acts occur, it is usually due to the stress from dealing with what I posted above, and someone "snapping".

Nobody on this planet can expect that every soldier pulling two and three, 15 month tours in a place like Fallujah, Baghdad, or Tikrit will keep their minds right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM

94 posts, read 346,431 times
Default "Support Our Troops"

After reading an article on Fox News today, I've heard just about enough of this slogan.

Apparently a Marine was shown on a video on Youtube tossing a helpless puppy off of a hillside to it's death. I can't even begin to explain how upset this made me.

From factual cases of abuse in Guantanamo and Abu Gharib, and all throughout Iraq and Afghanistan, to a Marine being charged in the death of a fellow officer and her unborn baby, and now this among many other instances I could name, any sympathy I had for those that serve is now gone.

They chose a career just like I did, and as every month goes by, it's obvious that they aren't any more respectable of a citizen than anyone else is. Do your job, do it respectfully, live every day to be a good representation of this country, bury your ego and do something to earn the country's respect. Those who serve have lost mine

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheEastEnd View Post
After reading an article on Fox News today, I've heard just about enough of this slogan.

Apparently a Marine was shown on a video on Youtube tossing a helpless puppy off of a hillside to it's death. I can't even begin to explain how upset this made me.

From factual cases of abuse in Guantanamo and Abu Gharib, and all throughout Iraq and Afghanistan, to a Marine being charged in the death of a fellow officer and her unborn baby, and now this among many other instances I could name, any sympathy I had for those that serve is now gone.

They chose a career just like I did, and as every month goes by, it's obvious that they aren't any more respectable of a citizen than anyone else is. Do your job, do it respectfully, live every day to be a good representation of this country, bury your ego and do something to earn the country's respect. Those who serve have lost mine
Assuming you work for a living, do you believe that people in your profession never do bad things? If they do then how do you feel being indicted as not deserving of respect for the bad things that others in your profession do?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Did anyone else notice that the puppy did not blink, move a hair, breathe or cry when being yanked up like that? I've never held a 8 week old puppy that did not make some kind of movement even when held by the scruff of the neck. And the "yelps" never got fainter as the dog "fell" down the cliff? Just a few things noticed..

Sorry, this one needs to be verified before I get upset. Looks like either the pup was already dead or fake or there was some pretty creative editing to me.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
I agree. What exactly is "supporting the troops"?

Is it purchasing a Chinese made stupid looking magnet ribbon to stick on the back of your car? Is it purchasing an American flag to stick on your car roof or antenna? What about hanging a flag outside your door?

What?

I see supporting the troops as supporting or agreeing with bush the Dictator and I will not do that. All the blood of those brave soldiers now gone is on his hands. But he dont care. He is nice and comfy in his big chair with hundreds of guards watching his can.

So what is support?

Sure I wish them the best and hope they all make it home where they belong but what else can we do?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Marines kill puppies. How many marines? All Marines? Just one Marine?
So much for media integrety to report the facts. They can't even get the basics right.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I love animals, don't get me wrong. IF they indeed did this then they should be punished. However, there is far worse going on in Iraq then the death of dogs.

This seems like a distraction tactic from the real disaster that Iraq has become.

I should imagine that certain people are more upset about the dog then they were about prisoners being tortured.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I agree. What exactly is "supporting the troops"?

Is it purchasing a Chinese made stupid looking magnet ribbon to stick on the back of your car? Is it purchasing an American flag to stick on your car roof or antenna? What about hanging a flag outside your door?

What?

I see supporting the troops as supporting or agreeing with bush the Dictator and I will not do that. All the blood of those brave soldiers now gone is on his hands. But he dont care. He is nice and comfy in his big chair with hundreds of guards watching his can.

So what is support?

Sure I wish them the best and hope they all make it home where they belong but what else can we do?
We can send Care packages with items that they can't readily obtain, items they were accustomed to having while in the States. We can send them cards and letters thanking them for their service. We can support their families with things they might need done while their loved ones are overseas. Plenty can be done to express support for them, not necessarily their mission.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Including not flipping them off while in uniform...
A short time after 9/11 my DH was in uniform driving in MA with the windows down. Someone drove up to him, cut him off and flipped him the bird, drove off. Funny thing was "mr patriotic" had 2 american flags on each window and a support the troops magnet on his bumper.

I don't know. Casting blanket statements on an entire branch based on an alleged video which could easily be fake...I'm sure a dog or cat is killed every minute in this country by non-military personell.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
We can send Care packages with items that they can't readily obtain, items they were accustomed to having while in the States. We can send them cards and letters thanking them for their service. We can support their families with things they might need done while their loved ones are overseas. Plenty can be done to express support for them, not necessarily their mission.

Good points.

But a better idea is to get them home NOW !! They have no business policing other peoples business who dont want us there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies