Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

It seems like a common thing for celebrities to claim sexual abuse when they were younger.

I'm not saying she's lying, but in several of these instances, the claims of being abused are always very vague and non specific. Hopefully it's not a 'sympathy' ploy since Fonda will never ever get rid of the stigma and hate of being "Hanoi Jane."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...se-brie-larson

Quote:
Jane Fonda has revealed that she has been the victim of a a history of sexual abuse, beginning when she was a child.

Speaking to fellow actor Brie Larson in Net-a-Porter magazine, Fonda said: “I’ve been raped, I’ve been sexually abused as a child and I’ve been fired because I wouldn’t sleep with my boss.

“I always thought it was my fault; that I didn’t do or say the right thing.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Call me skeptical. I think she's just feeling like she hasn't had enough attention lately. The real shame is that there have been so many fake claims lately, that the real victims of damaging, life-altering sexual assault are cast under a pall of suspicion. I think every single woman found guilty of making up fake claims should be subject to serious penalties and/or jail time.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:42 AM

189 posts, read 110,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It seems like a common thing for celebrities to claim sexual abuse when they were younger.

I'm not saying she's lying, but in several of these instances, the claims of being abused are always very vague and non specific. Hopefully it's not a 'sympathy' ploy since Fonda will never ever get rid of the stigma and hate of being "Hanoi Jane."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...se-brie-larson
I not that you are a Suburban "guy" so I think this might color your view. Many women, of a certain age, can identify with this. If we weren't molested ourselves, we probably know someone who was, among our female acquaintances. It's more common that you would ever guess. It was especially common, in a earlier, age (and maybe still is) for women to be expected to "play to pay" for acting parts, job promotions, etc. I don't think, at this point in her life, Jane Fonda needs sympathy from you or anyone else.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
My initial reaction is that she is being truthful.

I don't really like the woman, but I have no reason to doubt her.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
I believe her, it makes sense in the context of her life. Yes, it does seem that a lot of celebrities (actresses) claim it but have you considered that maybe acting appeal to them as a way to avoid reality?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:46 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I don't like this woman and I think she has lied quite a bit in the past (regarding Vietnam)

This said, I doubt many women lie about being raped and sexually abused as a child. So I choose to believe her and feel really bad for her. Hopefully, she can use her celebrity status to do some good this time.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
I read the interview Fonda gave and it rings true for the era (1960s) she was talking about. It is short on specifics, so there is no accusation against any individual or details of the abuse.

I still recall my sister talking about her time taking modeling lessons at Babizon Modeling in the 60s. Part of the training was education (disclosure/warning) on how she would be treated by men in the fashion industry. I guess if you consent then perhaps the behavior would not be illegal, but it is definitely abuse. This is what Fonda was talking about and how many women including herself would just comply with the demands.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
I believe it. Women go through this a lot and until recently were even expected to keep quiet about it. Good for her for speaking up.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
I am inclined to believe her on the sexual abuse charge, but I find it strange on the "I’ve been fired because I wouldn’t sleep with my boss" statement? Since she is an A list celebrity in the public eye who would fire her? A Director maybe?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A disturbingly high percentage of people in general were sexually abused as children at some point. The older I get, the more friends and romantic partners confess to me that they were abused at least once or repeatedly. It's heartbreaking how common it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies