U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 999,161 times

Advertisements

Republicans have moved much more left starting this election, so they might have saved themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:39 PM

526 posts, read 106,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
A conservative is a liberal who hasn't suffered yet.
I'm Mexican, grew up poor as *****. I used to get picked on because I always wore the same clothes, had the one pair of shoes throughout high school. I used to collect cans when I was a kid so we could turn it in for money. I'm not an engineer in oil and gas, I've worked for a fortune 500 comapby and a few other related companies. I personally don't understand how liberalism makes sense except for the feelings. I understand how people vote for laws that will cost them money. I work my ass off flyover make my family happy, that includes my parents, they are still poor (legal) Mexican people. I think my dad gets it. I don't understand why anyone wants to leave a ****ty country, come here and wish it was just as ****ty with the same policies.

Conservatives conserve because they suffered.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:43 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,855,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No, just that the entire spectrum will shift over. I have students who consider themselves conservative, one of whose got into the naval academy yesterday (so proud of him), but who believe in gay rights, a woman's right to choose, accept the scientific reality of climate change, and many other things that don't line up well with the current GOP. Most of them did not vote this past election because they felt no one represented them. It is similar phenomenon where many young people find the Democratic Party is not liberal enough for them and doesn't represent their interests.
^ this, alot of people don't realize that younger Republicans tend to have views on social issues that are more in line with the Democrats. Ive seen polling where upwards of 70% of Republicans under 40 support gay marriage (I am one of them). Also, younger Republicans tend to be much more racially inclusive. They grew up with Black friends, Hispanic friends, immigrant friends, etc and the politics of White racial resentment doesn't really have the draw that it has with older Republicans (ie: those who are most supportive of Trump).

And this isn't even including the rapidly changing demographics. Even if we completely ended all legal immigration and deported every last illegal immigrant the United States would still become a majority-minority nation ... it would just take a little bit longer. Current projections are that this will happen in the early 2040s. Half of Whites are over the age of 34, and half of Hispanics are under 18.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:04 PM

2,723 posts, read 1,081,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"If you're 20 and not liberal, you have no heart.

"And if you are 40 and not conservative, you have no brain."
The Churchillian liberal-conservative divide must not be confused with today's Democratic-Republican divide. In the last 30 years, we've seen the Democrats eventually embrace conservative-lite economics, while the Republicans have been hell bent on promoting full-fledge crony capitalism for the ruling class, all while promising the alleged benefits of subsidizing the oligarchs would somehow trickle down to the working class peasants.

Anyway, the seniors (now the Boomers) grew up enjoying the fruits of progressive rewards, a country where one could work 5 days a week, mom stay home, clean water, clean air, minimum wage, interstate highways, benefits of social safety nets, GI bill, etc). They've seen so much of that ended by not only by the new global economy, but also by big business's assault on the New Deal and Republican promotion of supply-side economic policies which redistributes wealth upwards to the top percentages. Many of those who celebrated those policies 25-30 years ago are certainly regretting it now.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:12 PM

16,599 posts, read 10,553,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Young people always start out liberal. But once you work for a living, own property, a car, pay taxes, have kids... once you grow up..... you become republican. Low information voters remain democrats.
BINGO! I voted for McGovern the first time I voted! I did much better this time around.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:24 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,146,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Young people always start out liberal. But once you work for a living, own property, a car, pay taxes, have kids... once you grow up..... you become republican. Low information voters remain democrats.
that is exactly true with me .. i was born and raised a dyed in the wool George Wallace loving Southern Baptist bible toting Democrat .. living off guv handouts/ and being satisfied with not knowing any better .. grew up a little thankfully .. this is a most eye opening thread .. thank you OP ...

Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,650,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
They say since that the next generation is overwhelmingly liberal and anti Republican
Young people get older and wiser. They start having to pay taxes to support the leisure class of welfare dependents.They may be useful idiots now but when the real world slaps them in the face many will grow more conservative.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:01 PM

23,581 posts, read 11,838,000 times
Quote:
They say since that the next generation is overwhelmingly liberal and anti Republican
How do you know what the "next generation" is?

But if the current generation of young people were "overwhelmingly liberal," Trump couldn't have won. The reality is that the younger generation is disgusted with politics as usual, and that's why Trump had such huge turnouts at his rallies, and why he won.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM

11,297 posts, read 7,451,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Some of the poor need a helping hand untill they get on their own feet. This should only be in times of great distress and for as short of duration as possible. Other poor need a kick in the pants. Those who are worthy because they will do what it takes to get on their feet should be helped. Those not worthy because they are lazy and feel entitled to other people's money should not be helped.
No matter how pitiful or needy, slavery is not the solution to their dilemma.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 4,979,907 times
Quote:
It's always been like that. The famous quote..."if you're not a liberal when you're young, you don't have a heart and if you're not a Conservative when you get older, you don't have a brain."

Libs have been declaring since the 60's that the days of the Republicans are numbered and now we have more Republicans elected than at any time in the last 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies