Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM

62,432 posts, read 28,688,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I think the poll and the thread here tells the same story; we are not in agreement with what defines the identity of the U.S. I have never equated US. Identity with "Christian values", but apparently a majority of republicans in this poll did. The comments posted here seem to address hobbies and personal interests, as if one's interest in drinking beer and off road terrain riding is somehow intrinsic to being an American. We are one entitled and narrow minded group.

This country started out and has been based on basic Christian principles and there is no denying that. It's not about Republicans or Democrats. That's a political affiliation. English has always been our national de facto language. It is one of the identifiers of our culture. Much of the other things mentioned are regional practices but that doesn't make us less Americans nor does it divide us.

Let's put it this way, we are not Asian, Hispanic, Muslim, Swedish, etc. in identity as a nation even though we have those minority groups living among us. We do have a mainstream language and culture that does identify us as a nation, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM

19,390 posts, read 12,036,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Having fun and not caring what others opinions are of your brand of fun is over compensating?
Lifes too short to be uptight. Make it and spend it when you can. Cant take anything to the grave.
Hobbies and recreation is fine but too many only think of themselves and their own interests rather than sacrifice or contributing to the future. That isn't uptight it is what made America great in the first place.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 AM

14,659 posts, read 14,758,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

...... Thats the America I lived in. Not one sheltered from a good time...
Your idea of freedom and a good time is disturbing the peace, destroying things and killing things for pleasure. That kind of moronic, destructive behaviour got the perpetrators exiled or executed in any society in any country in the past when populations were smaller. Why should that kind of barbaric disruption be tolerated now in America or any other civilized society when populations are hundreds of times more than what they were in the past?

Personally I think that the barbarians who behave that way should still be getting exiled or executed today the way they were in the past, them and the people who support and enable them.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM

27,895 posts, read 29,709,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If you read the article above, all you need to do is imagine a neighborhood that was 100% Mormon, or even 100% Muslim. You would probably see children playing together. Most of the people on the block would probably know each other. They would go to Church together. The kids could probably play outside without much worry(especially if it was gated to keep everyone else out). They might even celebrate holidays together. With all the families coming together together to throw some block festival/parties.

Now imagine you took the Mormons and Muslims and tossed them together on the same block, what would happen? It would be just as the article explains. People would stop interacting with each other. They would begin to hide in this homes, shutting themselves off from the world.
On my block, there are Mormons, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, completely non-religious families and who knows what else. Among these groups are Caucasians, Asians, Hispanics and Middle-easterners. Every summer we have a backyard barbeque together and have a great time. We also all exchange small, inexpensive gifts with each other at Christmas. Maybe we're just lucky, but we get along fine for the most part. We keep an eye on each other's homes when someone is away on vacation, shovel the snow for the older couples who would find it difficult, etc. And this, folks, is in Salt Lake City.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,500,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This country started out and has been based on basic Christian principles and there is no denying that. It's not about Republicans or Democrats. That's a political affiliation. English has always been our national de facto language. It is one of the identifiers of our culture. Much of the other things mentioned are regional practices but that doesn't make us less Americans nor does it divide us.

Let's put it this way, we are not Asian, Hispanic, Muslim, Swedish, etc. in identity as a nation even though we have those minority groups living among us. We do have a mainstream language and culture that does identify us as a nation, however.
This country was BASED on religious freedom - that was the impetus of settlers coming here to begin with. Many of our founding fathers held agnostic views. And although many of our forbearers were of various Christian faiths, our religious freedom (that includes freedom from religion) was paramount to the making of this country. That fewer folks hold any religious affiliation as time goes on is a reality that some wish not to recognize. I'm pushing 60 and have never lived in a religious community (that is, I have never lived in an area where most folks attended church or framed their lives around religion). I have no issue with those that do, but one of the things that makes this country great is the fundamental principle that we are all free to choose our religion or not be religious at all. I know that is hard for those who oppose Islam and other religions to accept but that is the reality.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,461,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Your idea of freedom and a good time is disturbing the peace, destroying things and killing things for pleasure. That kind of moronic, destructive behaviour got the perpetrators exiled or executed in any society in any country in the past when populations were smaller. Why should that kind of barbaric disruption be tolerated now in America or any other civilized society when populations are hundreds of times more than what they were in the past?

Personally I think that the barbarians who behave that way should still be getting exiled or executed today the way they were in the past, them and the people who support and enable them.

Was my property I raised hell on. So you go on being miserable. Youll die a haggard fool with hardly any attendees at your funeral and being remembered as the clint eastwood from grand torino confronting kids for stepping on your precious grass.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,461,546 times
Lol execute me good luck in the words of a hood rat cash me oussside how bout daht

Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM

19,390 posts, read 12,036,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

The loose marbles roll down to Florida. Let them have at it.

Fortunately there are noise ordinances in some places and enforcement. There is simply a lot of rudeness and lack of consideration for others as society becomes more narcissistic.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:08 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,534,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
If America has lost or is losing its identity, it started long before Trump became president. It started when we had a president that apologized for everything America ever did. It started when we had a president that scolded Americans for not being Muslim sympathizers, and it started when we had a president that ignored the law and let illegal immigrants run amok in this country.

We became a country where America was not first. We became the nanny of the world with a president that gave away the farm with our taxpayers footing the bill for every person that stepped across our borders.
The loss of our identify came into full-swing, when Sam Walton began expanding his store. He was on 60 Minutes, back 25 years ago or so and made the bold-faced lie that about 88% of what he sold was made in America. CBS did some fact-checking and found that actually, about 88% of what he sold, was not made in America. Was he Trump's mentor, for using the "Big-Lie Technique"?

Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 PM

62,432 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
This country was BASED on religious freedom - that was the impetus of settlers coming here to begin with. Many of our founding fathers held agnostic views. And although many of our forbearers were of various Christian faiths, our religious freedom (that includes freedom from religion) was paramount to the making of this country. That fewer folks hold any religious affiliation as time goes on is a reality that some wish not to recognize. I'm pushing 60 and have never lived in a religious community (that is, I have never lived in an area where most folks attended church or framed their lives around religion). I have no issue with those that do, but one of the things that makes this country great is the fundamental principle that we are all free to choose our religion or not be religious at all. I know that is hard for those who oppose Islam and other religions to accept but that is the reality.
I said it was based on Christian "principles". The Ten Commandments come to mind. I would think that all or most religions or atheists would adhere to that idea of living a life that doesn't harm others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies