Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Trump just called Erdogan today to applaud him on his win in gaining more dictator powers. Obviously Trump wants the US to be like Russia and Turkey.
Would that be just normal protocol? or does it mean Trump approves of it. Not that he really understands it.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People in the US probably don't hear much about this, but here in Europe there is so much trouble with Turkey now, a regular conflict between the EU, particularly Germany, and Turkey.

Really, I don't understand it. Turkey was booming up until just a few years ago, it was a kind of role model for the Muslim world, an upcoming tiger, educated Europeans of Turkish ethnicity were moving back to Turkey, founding companies etc.
Then all of a sudden and without any reason I know of, president Erdogan started his authoritarian backwards culture revolution, undoing much of the previous progress and the reasons for that progress. Meanwhile the indicators for the country are all down, investments is down, educated people are trying to emigrate, instability of all sorts is on the rise.

Is there anything one can learn from that mess in order to prevent the same from happening in other countries? I do see certain similarities between Erdogan's character and that of people like Putin and Trump, for instance. Turkey also had what was considered a solid democracy, but somehow Erdogan managed to wear it down without violating the law/constitution if I am not mistaken. (I am no expert on Turkey, mind you.)
I see the same similarities in the United States. If someone like Trump has wide appeal with conservatives, someone like Erdogan has wide appeal with Turkish conservatives. And one thing both groups have in common: Both are willing to sign away their democratic rights to a strongman who makes them feel safe, even if that alleged safety comes at the expense of civil liberties and freedom of expression.

The lizard brain is alive and well in both the United States and Turkey, as the recent electoral results prove.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People in the US probably don't hear much about this, but here in Europe there is so much trouble with Turkey now, a regular conflict between the EU, particularly Germany, and Turkey.

Really, I don't understand it. Turkey was booming up until just a few years ago, it was a kind of role model for the Muslim world, an upcoming tiger, educated Europeans of Turkish ethnicity were moving back to Turkey, founding companies etc.
Then all of a sudden and without any reason I know of, president Erdogan started his authoritarian backwards culture revolution, undoing much of the previous progress and the reasons for that progress. Meanwhile the indicators for the country are all down, investments is down, educated people are trying to emigrate, instability of all sorts is on the rise.

Is there anything one can learn from that mess in order to prevent the same from happening in other countries? I do see certain similarities between Erdogan's character and that of people like Putin and Trump, for instance. Turkey also had what was considered a solid democracy, but somehow Erdogan managed to wear it down without violating the law/constitution if I am not mistaken. (I am no expert on Turkey, mind you.)
You have that wrong, Turkey has boomed under him, hence his popularity.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:06 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Would that be just normal protocol? or does it mean Trump approves of it. Not that he really understands it.
Trump is the only western leader to call Erdogan, so I'd say no it's not normal. Just like his meeting with al-Sisi of Egypt, Trump praises dictators.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Meanwhile, the State department is throwing shade about it.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/stat...69417306730496
If this is a nuance because we need Turkey on our side I would understand, but the statement by Trump could have been crafted better. The UN has been silent.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Trump just called Erdogan today to applaud him on his win in gaining more dictator powers. Obviously Trump wants the US to be like Russia and Turkey.
Yeah, sure Trump is a good buddy of Erdogan and the religous fanatics of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Trump is the only western leader to call Erdogan, so I'd say no it's not normal. Just like his meeting with al-Sisi of Egypt, Trump praises dictators.
Thank goodness he didnt have a Muslim Brotherhood freak, Morsi, in the Whitehouse like Obama did. El-Sisi's overthrow of Morsi was supported by the majority of Egyptians or it would not have been successful.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
It's so weird that liberals who seem to love government power are against dictators (at least they claim to be against them).

Big government sucks.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's so weird that liberals who seem to love government power are against dictators (at least they claim to be against them).

Big government sucks.
In the case of some middle eastern and north African countries they are better off with Secular Dictators than Religous leaders.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,646,991 times
countries are their own worst enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies