Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Incandescent Light Bulbs be Legal Again?
Yes 65 65.00%
No 17 17.00%
Dont Care 18 18.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) has submitted a bill in Congress that allows for the manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs again. IMO, the banning of these bulbs was a prime example of environmental overkill. And there is good evidence that Chinese made LED bulbs are a health hazard. See link.

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health
Problem is that since the ban, GE has closed it's manufacturing plant and the incandescent bulbs that can be bought today all come from China, and they do no last nearly as long as those that were manufactured here in the USA by GE (and others). I've had some that burned out within a couple of weeks. And they are more expensive than the old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 01:36 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) has submitted a bill in Congress that allows for the manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs again. IMO, the banning of these bulbs was a prime example of environmental overkill. And there is good evidence that Chinese made LED bulbs are a health hazard. See link.

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health
pretty sure this is a state level thing.

I have been able to buy them non stop all my life. My state WA, does not ban them, but does offer discounts on other types.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
pretty sure this is a state level thing.

I have been able to buy them non stop all my life. My state WA, does not ban them, but does offer discounts on other types.
The state has nothing to do with the ban. All incandescent light bulbs of 40 watts or higher are banned from manufacture or import by the federal government.

I would have rather seen the government ban the manufacture and import of cigarettes, a truly harmful product. But the mealy mouths in Congress and the intellectually challenged George W. Bush were convinced that light bulbs were destroying the world. "Make America sane again," should have been Trump's slogan.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I can still buy them.

I don't want them, but I can still get them.

This^

I can still buy a buggy whip.......

But the money might better serve me by placing it into my gas tank, instead.

I can buy an incandesant bulb, or something far more efficient than that for the stated goal of obtaining light.

Now, If I want to cook with an E-Z Bake oven, or keep my well pump shed from freezing in the winter, incandesant is the way to go.

CN

Old 03-06-2017, 04:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I switched to LED as a choice.

My most expensive utility bill in Houston Texas is my electric bill due to my air conditioner. It makes sense not to have over a hundred tiny heaters eating up my ac. Put your hand close to an incandescent bulb and a LED bulb.

I'm against laws forcing people to not use incandescent bulbs. People will learn it's usually better to get LED.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Fluorescents and LEDs can actually cause seizures in some people. They can cause migraine and migraine auras. Those are canary in the coalmine people, but indicates those sources of light are unnatural and unhealthy.
Yes, they are horrible. I have trouble even spending time in a store without getting migraines/auras from them. Fluorescents are everywhere.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I don't think they were ever taken off the market. I assumed they were but when I go to my local warehouse lumber place (like a Home Depot) they are still being sold.
A lot of the bulbs people think are incandescents are actually halogen bulbs. They are not as good and get a lot hotter. It was a halogen bulb that started the mobile home fire that burned me out of my home several years ago. They get hot and catch fire easily.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:12 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We tried several different types including warm white. As I said earlier, those work great in the kitchen. Elsewhere, they look awful. That could be in part because our home has several large antique Tiffany lamps with delicate leaded glass shades. They just look like crap with LED's.
One thing about LEDs is they give off a very powerful white light, even more powerful than what it might say on the package. In my experience, "40 watt" LEDs work well with decorative lighting and frosted shades, and "60 watt" LEDs go good with traditional shaded lamps.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
I switched to all LED lighting. My electric bill is half of what it used to run.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:39 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
LED's pay for themselves in a little over a year, best to change out all your bulbs. If you want to pay more for electric be my guest but at some point incandescents will disappear because of lack of demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies