Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

78% of people approve of this survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Again - how were they going to get that past the Democrats? They tried that with jobs bills that stalled in the Senate. Any bill anti-Obamacare would have suffered the same fate.
Perhaps you are correct. The "Small Business Fairness in Obamacare Act" had 5 cosponsors all of which were republicans (no democrats cosponsored the bill.)

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil...r3419/details#

Old 03-06-2017, 12:50 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
About 3 months ago Sen. Bernie Sanders put forth a bill to allow Americans to buy perception drugs from other countries, but republicans in congress opposed the law and stopped it from passing.

As Sanders said, "Medicare could save $300 billion a year on prescription drugs if it negotiated prices. We don't do it," Sanders said. "Why? Because of the drug companies" (the drug companies make huge profits by selling drugs for higher prices in America.)

Sanders: GOP blocked 'Trump proposal' to lower drug prices | TheHill
I hope it changes the right's perceptions.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:57 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
About 3 months ago Sen. Bernie Sanders put forth a bill to allow Americans to buy perception drugs from other countries, but republicans in congress opposed the law and stopped it from passing.

As Sanders said, "Medicare could save $300 billion a year on prescription drugs if it negotiated prices. We don't do it," Sanders said. "Why? Because of the drug companies" (the drug companies make huge profits by selling drugs for higher prices in America.)

Sanders: GOP blocked 'Trump proposal' to lower drug prices | TheHill
worse still so did some democrats.

They made excuses but frankly we need everyone on the right (including crazy people) and everyone on the left (including crazy people) to come together and force the US gov to ban all lobbying monies and to ban all donations from groups and place a very low cap on private donations.

lobby and money these are things that matter, yet all we do is fight over Trump's latest BS.

if we got the lobbyists out of pocket from small town councils to DC we could solve healthcare, in a couple of years.

if we got the money out of politics candidates could focus on their jobs instead of raising money and subordinating the public interest, to that of donors.

lobbying
money

and finally we would be able to get to work on fixing our very broken two party system.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
If little old Ireland can do it, why can't we? I mean it. If Ireland a small nation with no natural resources beyond agricultural, they manage to provide full healthcare for everyone in thier country. Not just the rich people, but the poor ones too.

and remember Ireland is a republic, democratic elections , educated citizens etc,.

why is it you think americans are so lame, so weak so selfish they can't provide healthcare to everyone.

Do you just hate your fellow man, or is it that you dont like someone else getting something cheap?

Really what is driving your desire to deny healthcare insurance to poor poeple? Do you hate them? do you think you are better than them?

Do you just hate America?
No. I believe in a basic level of healthcare available to all, not just seniors. Seniors only fund about a third of the medical benefits they receive. That means I pay the other two thirds plus that of my own family. Let's just end it all like Republicans want (ask Paul Ryan) and after five years of seeing the result, we can get serious. The human body is not a car, there is no alternative transportation. Right now, Republicans depend on seniors to keep voting for them as long as seniors have health care for themselves. Except I'm paying for those seniors plus my own family.

I look forward to Paul Ryan taking a machete to Medicare, that shrieking laughter you hear will be me. There is no reason I should subsidize an older generation while I pay for my own family. It's all or nothing. Give them what they paid in, a little interest and then tell them to pay for themselves. A couple of operations and they will be medically broke. Five years of that and maybe we can have a real conversation about health coverage in this country.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
worse still so did some democrats.

They made excuses but frankly we need everyone on the right (including crazy people) and everyone on the left (including crazy people) to come together and force the US gov to ban all lobbying monies and to ban all donations from groups and place a very low cap on private donations.

lobby and money these are things that matter, yet all we do is fight over Trump's latest BS.

if we got the lobbyists out of pocket from small town councils to DC we could solve healthcare, in a couple of years.

if we got the money out of politics candidates could focus on their jobs instead of raising money and subordinating the public interest, to that of donors.

lobbying
money

and finally we would be able to get to work on fixing our very broken two party system.
Laws that would lay the groundwork to accomplish those things have been put forth by the democrats, but the republicans block and stop those laws from passing. And republicans oppose all laws that would regulate campaign spending.
Senate blocks campaign finance amendment - POLITICO

And by using the courts republicans gave corporations the same rights as human beings (corporate personhood.)
When Did Companies Become People? Excavating The Legal Evolution : NPR
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

Republicans then got their "Citizens United" decision that allows large corporations to spend unlimited amounts of money in political campaigns, and this was given to them by "corporate personhood laws" and corporations having the right to "free speech".

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...de-us-politics
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ls-dont/33935/
Senate GOP blocks constitutional amendment on campaign spending | TheHill

But the thing I fear is that more and more democrats are joining (being paid by) these power hungry corporate groups. And today even some publicly popular democrats are joining the republicans behind the scenes to pass these corporate favors. And I fear that in the future many/most democrats will actually be undercover corporate paid republicans, and then America will have -0- chance of changing our big money political campaign system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies