Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 10:21 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sorry, your nonsense has lost any credibility for me to discuss it further, maybe someone else is willing to give you time on the topic. I have an issue with certain forms of thinking that does not allow me to reply properly to express what I think on this site, so I will just leave you to your words. Very Informative though, that is always a good thing to know who is what here.
Good Day

I could give a rat's a$$ what you think of me with your high morality guilt trip.

the feeling is mutual how we feel about each other.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Wow, I've rarely seen so many people ignore the actual definition of a word because they somehow found that it was offensive to their sensibilities even though it fits the definition.

Slaves were immigrants. Were they forced to immigrate? Yes, but they still fit the definition of the word.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:38 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Carson's use of the word "immigrant" is correct.

...is not a word that describes the movement of people from one place to another.
You forget that the English and the Americans did not believe slaves were human. The slaves were PROPERTY. They were thought of as farm equipment. Pure and simple. So, they CANNOT be considered immigrants.

The Spaniards believed that slaves were human and that they had a soul as evidenced by the Roman Catholic Church's baptismal records. No such thing happened in North America. To this day, the Spaniards do not think slaves were immigrants.

I don't give a rat's behind about Carson's education and profession. He's an embarrassment to physicians everywhere. He has no historical perspective or understanding.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You forget that the English and the Americans did not believe slaves were human. The slaves were PROPERTY. They were thought of as farm equipment. Pure and simple. So, they CANNOT be considered immigrants.

The Spaniards believed that slaves were human and that they had a soul as evidenced by the Roman Catholic Church's baptismal records. No such thing happened in North America.

I don't give a rat's behind about Carson's education and profession. He's an embarrassment to physicians everywhere. He has no historical perspective.
So, when Nat Turner is referred to in history, you feel he shouldn't be thought of as a person but as an object.

Wow, that's pretty F'D up.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wow, I've rarely seen so many people ignore the actual definition of a word because they somehow found that it was offensive to their sensibilities even though it fits the definition.

Slaves were immigrants. Were they forced to immigrate? Yes, but they still fit the definition of the word.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Ben Carson Calls Slaves

“That’s what America is about, a land of dreams and opportunity,” Carson said, USA Today reports. “There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less.”

You can not make this stuff up!
Did the slaves immigrate to America or not? Simple question.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I would call them hostages, not immigrants. They were considered property, not human.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:49 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would call them hostages, not immigrants. They were considered property, not human.
So they were illegal immigrants then?

Old 03-06-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Did the slaves immigrate to America or not? Simple question.
Let's break this down:

Quote:
a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country
First, were slaves people? Other than white supremacists and some liberals, the general consensus is yes.

Second, did they come to the US to live permanently? For the vast majority, yes.

Third, was the US a foreign country for them? Once again, for the vast majority, yes.

So, unless you feel slaves weren't people (klan and some liberals), the definition fits exactly.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

The Spaniards believed that slaves were human and that they had a soul as evidenced by the Roman Catholic Church's baptismal records. No such thing happened in North America. To this day, the Spaniards do not think slaves were immigrants.

I don't give a rat's behind about Carson's education and profession. He's an embarrassment to physicians everywhere. He has no historical perspective or understanding.

so you are saying to be an immigrant you have to be view as EQUAL in society?

Where the Spaniards immigrants when they came by invasion and conquest?

you sound silly when you want to slice immigrants into many groups and definitions to fit your morality guilt trip.

the Definition of immigration is a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.......it doesn't matter if they came on their own, by force or by a legal or illegal transaction or a prisoner.

and if doesn't matter if you don't have rights under the law...you are an immigrant, legal or illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies