Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
I'm not asking you to like what I wrote...
Doesn't matter whether I "like" or "dislike" what you wrote.

What matters is that you are wrong, in fact.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:16 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
If I subsequently remained in Mexico permanently, you could call me either.
As I said in my post - if you were abducted across the border and lived in a Mexican basement against your will until you died, would you then consider yourself an immigrant to Mexico or a kidnapped American citizen?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:31 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
A successful, likeable, respected, Republican, black man who was raised in poverty by a single mother praises this land of opportunity for all who arrive on her shores.

Is it a surprise the purveyors of victimhood, Leftists, hate him and attack him?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
As I said in my post - if you were abducted across the border and lived in a Mexican basement against your will until you died, would you then consider yourself an immigrant to Mexico or a kidnapped American citizen?
Again. Here is another citation:

The article entitled Colonial Immigration was written by Ben Marsh at the University of Stirling, Scotland in 2006, and was reviewed on the New Georgia Encyclopedia:

Immigrants to colonial Georgia came from a vast array of regions around the Atlantic basin—including the British Isles, northern Europe, the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and a host of American colonies. They arrived in very different social and economic circumstances...

Immigrants... from Africa... arriving in different social and economic circumstances.

It does not matter what I, in your hypothetical, or what a poor African slave arriving in colonial Georgia would have considered my / himself.

The fact is, we would both be immigrants, forced to a foreign land.

But, I suppose in todays world, some folks believe that if a man considers himself to be a woman, well, by golly then, he is a woman!

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 03-07-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
A successful, likeable, respected, Republican, black man who was raised in poverty by a single mother praises this land of opportunity for all who arrive on her shores.

Is it a surprise the purveyors of victimhood, Leftists, hate him and attack him?

I wonder if Dr. Carson would view those fleeing war in the Middle East, that come to this county, in the same light?

If we go with his statement that African slaves may be viewed as 'immigrants', would not refugees from the Middle East likewise be considered immigrants? Do they not want simply to come to this land of opportunity?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:53 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

The problem with the good Dr. is there are countless probably thousands of African Americans who too have pulled themselves up by their boot straps. Ben Carson wants Republicans to think he is a rare breed. He is not. Most successful African Americans have routinely accomplished what Ben Carson did in regard to escaping the hood and chasing their dreams. He can’t even use the word slave because he thinks it might upset his host.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How do you know this? Their choice if they stayed where there were, was certain execution by the African country that captured them. Many may have very willingly walked onto those slave ships as the alternative.

Your argument fails on two accounts. You first make unproven assumptions. Second, you seek to redefine the word "come" to limit it to someone who makes a choice.

Ben Carson was 100% correct when he called slaves, immigrants.
Carson said:
"There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less, but they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land,"

Do you think that the people crammed into the hold of a slave ship were thinking, as they were chained and whipped, that one day their descents "might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land"? The land run by the people that owned them? That beat them?

In the same manner that a farmer or blacksmith could dream their children could pursue a calling higher than them?

You are really defending Carson's stupid utterances?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Well, some people got drafted into the Vietnam War.

Most were taken there on ships.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Who cares. Emotional yapping is not part of the natural sciences. Dr. Ben Carson made medical history and in terms of applied sciences in medicine and the surgical field he'd run mental laps around both of us.

Go out and make history yourself before you try in envy to steal the thunder from an overachiever who is also ethnically Black-American. I don't care for Dr. Carson's religious affiliation but you don't see me trying to denegrate him because of that.
Wanna explain what you just said?

Nobody said he wasn't an accomplished surgeon.

Still doesn't change the fact that what he said was stupid.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Lol, this thread proves how brain dead cons are. Not to be taken seriously at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies