Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:45 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Glass and aluminum is simple imo what gets more complicated is the plastics. The fact that they don't even try is very telling. The red cities and states just don't care, it will never happen that's why we need a federal program push.
Now you have a platform to run for president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Red states don't care so why should blue states help pay to clean them up? Let red states deal with their own problems.
Unfortunately, our trash doesn't stay where we want it to stay. Otherwise we wouldn't have things like the Pacific garbage patch that exists in the North Pacific Gyre (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_..._garbage_patch).

There are reasons we should care about the way other people handle things (because their behaviors can affect you and your environment)...even if it seems "wrong" because it takes away local control (which I don't necesarilly like).

In other words, "their own problems" can easily become your problem, too. Trash and pollution don't stop at borders.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Red states don't care so why should blue states help pay to clean them up? Let red states deal with their own problems.
What does that have to do with anything? This is a stupid statement.

The facilities for recycling are already in place. The problem is the gathering of it is not incentive based.

Your posts always end in some sort of retar,ded "blue state does such and such for the red states" argument it's pretty annoying to be honest.

Go away please.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
I have lived in a couple of small towns that needed no curbside program. The city installed a recycle center behind the local McDonalds and had an 85% participation rate. We took papers, plastic, glass, cooking oil, motor oil and electronics.. The city made money. You always ran into a friend or neighbor while recycling. It was also a social gathering.

We now live in the Houston suburbs with around a 30% participation rate in curbside.

Before you ask for a nationwide program, find out about those warehouses in China full of wet paper from the USA.

I remember taking milk and soda bottles back to the store for them to be picked up and sanitized and refilled.

Recycling is one thing. I would like to see products frontloaded with the cost of clean up. Most of our trash is packaging.

I would love to see plastic grocery bags bite the dust. Or a 20 cent charge for each one to go to the person who picks them up from all over town. A couple of dollars charge for those damn rings that hold beer and soda cans together and kill all kinds of widelife would great.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? This is a stupid statement.

The facilities for recycling are already in place. The problem is the gathering of it is not incentive based.

Your posts always end in some sort of retar,ded "blue state does such and such for the red states" argument it's pretty annoying to be honest.

Go away please.
Personal attacks for disagreeing? Sorry, I do not want a nationwide recycling program that means I pay to clean up red states that don't even care about their own trash. Why should I care more than they do? I don't even live there, let them deal with it themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

We now live in the Houston suburbs with around a 30% participation rate in curbside.
Exactly.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Personal attacks for disagreeing? Sorry, I do not want a nationwide recycling program that means I pay to clean up red states that don't even care about their own trash. Why should I care more than they do? I don't even live there, let them deal with it themselves.
You really show how uneducated you are sorry this has nothing to do with blue states and red states. How would blue states be paying for it exactly???

Glass is a non-traded commodity, it is 100 percent reusable. Recycled glass has a market value, as does aluminum.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
You really show how uneducated you are sorry this has nothing to do with blue states and red states. How would blue states be paying for it exactly???

Glass is a non-traded commodity, it is 100 percent reusable. Recycled glass has a market value, as does aluminum.
The entire thread is based on the premise that somehow liberals (blue states) are responsible for creating a nationwide recycling program because - Republicans can't? Won't? It's a Republican president and Republicans are in complete charge of the country. Why should liberals clean up their mess?

I want the country to live with the results of a Republican government. Look at the title of this thread and look at the OP. It's entirely based on "blue states and red states". Go tell Republicans to push for a nationwide recycling program, they run the country now. They won't? Color me shocked.

Recycling--Seattle Public Utilities

Let's look at the best states for recycling (1-10):

Vermont, Oregon, New York, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Washington, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Hawaii

Let's look at the worst states for recycling (50-41):

Louisiana, Texas, Kentucky, Indiana, Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, Delaware, Oklahoma, Wyoming

See a trend? It is not the job of liberals to create programs that Republican states apparently don't even care about. Let them live in their own self-created environment.

The 10 Best and Worst States for Waste Diversion, Reduction

Last edited by Seacove; 03-06-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 04:18 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I be for a program that offered States money if they invested in programs turning recycled material into energy

Old 03-06-2017, 04:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
I'll never understand this just more proof they're complete hypocrites.

All glass, aluminum, steel, and plastic should have some sort of a nationwide recycling program tied to it...similar to the bottle deposit law in Michigan.

It's extremely hard to find anywhere in my area that will even take glass. I have to take it to a special dumpster that is taken care of by a local church.
I'm not sure what they do with it after that but they must take it to a facility in a bigger city or something.
What are YOU doing to promote recycling in YOUR area? Presuming you're not a liberal by the way you bash them, I would think you'd prefer local solutions to problems over a big, national program.

Quit whining. You can't find a place to recycle glass? Give me a break.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Glass and aluminum is simple imo what gets more complicated is the plastics. The fact that they don't even try is very telling. The red cities and states just don't care, it will never happen that's why we need a federal program push.
the problem with plastics is that some are and some are not recyclable. and where the real problem lies is that people have to look for certain symbols that are rather hard to see on various bits of plastic.

but again i admonish against going with a federal program. we have enough federal programs that are either inefficient, or just plain dont work, we dont need another. but i do agree that states and localities should be encouraged to establish or expand recycling programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies