Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
OK....

So why force insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions?

Isn't that kind of like forcing auto insurance companies to cover wrecks when you had them before you bought your auto insurance?

See how this works?
If you lose your job and you have a preexisting condition there was no requirement for another insurance company to cover the condition. It's not as if most of these people never bought insurance in the first place and there were situations where companies did not review a policy for whatever reason, where does that leave these people with critical illnesses.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:25 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,050,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Your comparison is faulty.

By simply breathing, you are participating in what's known as life. Just like by driving, you are participating in what's known as the American highway system. Here is the correct comparison.

Living -> Driving
Dead -> Not driving
Heath issue -> Car accident
Health insurance -> Car insurance
Healthcare -> Car repair

So, by simply living, you are actually driving. While you are driving, there's always a chance you will crash. Just like while you're living there's always a chance you have a heart attack or contracting cancer.
My comparison is not faulty.

Why?

Very simple.

Mandated auto insurance (liability coverage) is to protect others.

Mandated health insurance is to protect you.

In the concept of self ownership, no other person may demand what you must do to protect yourself.

Mandating that I protect myself by purchasing a product that I do not want to buy is unconstitutional regardless of how the SC rules.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM

18,415 posts, read 7,050,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
What if you had been in an accident, and had latter complications? Was not planned... You were healthy, but oh snap. Well maybe you not been able to work, had go on Medicaid and file bankruptcy if had bills, prop etc.. There just went 10 year penalty ( bad credit) it took a split second...unless mom n pop got a nice egg nest to dip into... Medical can run $1 million in Less than a month. Easy .... Happens more and more every day. but if mom n pop can't bail you out? My taxes will, one way or another...
I would have been screwed, yes.

But that would be my decision and my fault alone.

I was young, healthy and didn't make much money....

So not paying for health insurance out of my merger paycheck was a calculated risk.

But....it was my risk to take, and if someone told me that I must spend a huge chunk of my paycheck on something I did not want and could not afford if I did.....I would have been pretty po'd.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:46 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,663,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
You understand the lie going around the media (24 Million would lose insurance) they voluntarily would lose it...media leaves the voluntarily out.... Most of them are eligible for Medicaid anyway, so they're good. The poor ones would get tremendous tax breaks.
I am enjoying your posts (rep'd you, too) which have been sensible and rational. But I don't know where you got the info that the poor would get tax breaks. I heard the opposite.

The plan I heard discussed by people who supposedly know say that if you're 40 years old and making $70K, you will get tax credits. If you are 65 and making $30K, your taxes will go up.

That's not exactly a plan where "poor ones would get tremendous tax breaks". Sounds like our elderly will be crushed (required to subsidize those making more).

Quote:

Why?

Very simple.

In the concept of self ownership, no other person may demand what you must do to protect yourself.

Mandating that I protect myself by purchasing a product that I do not want to buy is unconstitutional regardless of how the SC rules.
I'm not a fan of mandates. Not at all.

However, mandated health insurance is not just to protect you. It is also protects me against having to pay for you when you get sick and don't pay for treatment. Sounds fair that you pay your share.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 AM

9,471 posts, read 9,348,693 times
Quote:

Why?

Very simple.

But if you use the Emergency Room at the hospital when you get sick or injured, there are 2 issues:

1) If you cannot afford to pay the bill for services rendered, then we, the taxpayers, end up paying the cost for your care, while you freeload.

2). If you use the Emergency Room for health issues that are truly not an emergeccy (ear ache, strep throat, sinus infection, etc.) then you are using services that in fact, clog the medical system and people with actual emergencies have delayed care while you get free service.

So if you don't want to purchase health insurance, you should have at least $50,000 to $100,000 saved up to cover your catastrophic care and for a hospital stay or surgery and also be able to pay cash for any doctor you need to see or Emergency Room you need to visit (for emergencies only).

Most of us are not interested in paying for your medical care just because you want to have the freedom not to pay for health insurance.

Actually, you ARE protecting others when you have medical insurance, so in a very real way, it is the same concept as auto insurance.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,947,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
If I recall, Ryan did not want this to go through the CBO in the first place while aggressively demanding the ACA go through. And lo and be-****ing-hold, the CBO viewed the ACA more favorably the the AHCA. Who could have guessed. At the very least, Ryan's squirming every time someone asked about things like this could have given it away.

Paul Ryan is a spineless *****.

PS
I for sure remember the GOP saying the ACA was 'pushed through.' That took the Obama administration a year to get hammered down. Trump's plan took weeks. So... is being pushed through good or bad (I ask knowing that Paul Ryan is a man void of principle).
Given how the CBO ranked ACA I've got no faith in how they rank this one. Not saying the current plan is good or bad, just that the CBO doesn't have a good track record when it comes to predictions...

Old 03-14-2017, 07:10 AM

416 posts, read 252,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They will respond by raising premiums. How else can they make up for the loss of income?
Since it's no longer penalized to not have insurance, they can only raise premiums so much before losing profit.

By leveraging a penalty as Obama did, he essentially provided the insurance companies a minimum they could charge.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Can I get rid of my car insurance too? the Ins cos are the most greedy monsters of them all-
Yes you can. You don't need car insurance provided you don't drive your car on public roads.

Meanwhile, there is no way to exist under Obama's plan without being penalized for not having health coverage.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:12 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,545,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
But if you use the Emergency Room at the hospital when you get sick or injured, there are 2 issues:

1) If you cannot afford to pay the bill for services rendered, then we, the taxpayers, end up paying the cost for your care, while you freeload.

2). If you use the Emergency Room for health issues that are truly not an emergeccy (ear ache, strep throat, sinus infection, etc.) then you are using services that in fact, clog the medical system and people with actual emergencies have delayed care while you get free service.

So if you don't want to purchase health insurance, you should have at least $50,000 to $100,000 saved up to cover your catastrophic care and for a hospital stay or surgery and also be able to pay cash for any doctor you need to see or Emergency Room you need to visit (for emergencies only).

Most of us are not interested in paying for your medical care just because you want to have the freedom not to pay for health insurance.

Actually, you ARE protecting others when you have medical insurance, so in a very real way, it is the same concept as auto insurance.
Emergency rooms do not take an eat ache before a gunshot wound or a heart attack, it's not first come first serve. That ear ache gets seen when the ER is filled with nothing presenting much greater in importance than that ear ache.

The only time I go to the ER is when it's a true emergency, and on those very rare occasions, we don't wait forever.

Do I pay for those uninsured people in the ER? Sure, but IMHO, I'd rather pay for their long sit in an ER for that ear ache than pay for them to be sitting in line in front of me at my regular doctor.

If you are forced to buy a car for a poor person, do you want to pay for them to drive the same car as you or a bare minimum car that gets them by?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Going to an emergency room because you didn't buy coverage, is that an American value, going on Medicaid for the same reason are these American values
If you don't have coverage, and go to an emergency room you should be forced to pay out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies