Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I was thinking the same thing, they want them to vote on this tomorrow but they don't know what it costs or how many people may lose health insurance, how can they possibly expect a vote.

There several GOP senators that sent a letter indicating their disapproval because their constituents would lose coverage, then there is the Freedom Caucus that wants a clean repeal and then a replace whatever sense that makes.
IMO it won't pass. The Freedom Caucus/Tea Party types hate it becuase they hate everything that involves spending money (unless it's to bomb or deport Brown people or build a wall to keep them out), the moderate Republicans hate it because many of them are on thin ice and represent relatively moderate/swing districts so they are vulnerable to a Democrat challenger, the Democrats all hate it so there goes the strategy of using Democrat votes to cancel out the Freedom Caucus. This will die in committee in it's present form.

BTW: I see you live on Long Island as well. Who is your congressperson? King? Zeldin? Rice? I am in King's district.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

Fact is that people can be doing more to help themselves. We need the government to fix (hopefully by getting less involved) the pricing problems and we need people to be more accountable for making smart financial decisions. Its a shared responsibility at this point. Just relying on the government or anyone else to solve your problems is never the answer. You have to be willing to make sacrafices and do what you can to improve your own situation...thats just reality, its not a talking point. The government doesn't care about me or you until a few months before election cycles.

Quantify a "large or sufficient amount" and stop being intentionally dense.

I've never advocated for abandoning personal responsibility, never claimed people couldn't/shouldn't make better financial decisions and never wanted .gov to "solve my problems".

The cell phone bit is just a poor analogy, period.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Don't be obtuse. My last phone, the LG G4 had an MSRP of ~$600, I paid $200 because I was "due for a new phone" on my plan. The VAST majority of these devices are purchased that way or via an insurance claim for replacement. Yes, yes, I understand that the cost difference between MSRP and what your upgrade cost is gets offset by your monthly contract dues.

The amount of people paying MSRP for phones is very, very small.

Some pertinent info here:

A Portrait of Smartphone Ownership | Pew Research Center
You paid full price.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Yes, yes, I understand that the cost difference between MSRP and what your upgrade cost is gets offset by your monthly contract dues.
Respectfully, I don't think you do.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Respectfully, I don't think you do.

Well, educate me, then.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You paid full price.

A distinction without a difference, but you knew that when you started down this hair-splitting path...

Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Quantify a "large or sufficient amount" and stop being intentionally dense.

I've never advocated for abandoning personal responsibility, never claimed people couldn't/shouldn't make better financial decisions and never wanted .gov to "solve my problems".

The cell phone bit is just a poor analogy, period.
Its a moot point, neither of us has exact figures to back up either side of the argument, and thats partly due to the obfuscation of the carriers and hardware manufacturers to make it hard to know how much you are really paying for a phone with the subsidies and monthly contract prices.

Plain and simple the point is that people are prioritizing fancy technology and consumer purchases over health care costs or doing things to improve their health care situation...the cell phone is one example. Our government enables this, and the health care pricing model is broken, so between those factors nobody is off the hook in terms of blame.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:

Fact is that people can be doing more to help themselves.
This new bill will entourage people to do less to help themselves. The mandate to have insurance is going away, and they can still get subsidies, so people are more likely to be more dependent on the government rather than buy their own insurance.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Hypocrites can NOT make arguments that anyone cares about.

We are 20 trillion in debt and the GOPs plan is more debt but damn if this guy isn't going to make sure that he doesn't have to sacrifice.

This is the same argument I've made to those on the left. You can not have hypocrites leading the charge. The problem is, outside of maybe Paul that's all the GOP has..
Again, I don't disagree, but if Chaffetz told me that I needed to tie my shoe or I might trip, I wouldn't discount that advice.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Its a moot point, neither of us has exact figures to back up either side of the argument, and thats partly due to the obfuscation of the carriers and hardware manufacturers to make it hard to know how much you are really paying for a phone with the subsidies and monthly contract prices.

Fair.

Quote:
Plain and simple the point is that people are prioritizing fancy technology and consumer purchases over health care costs or doing things to improve their health care situation...the cell phone is one example. Our government enables this, and the health care pricing model is broken, so between those factors nobody is off the hook in terms of blame.
This is not new behavior for the American people, however. To act like it is would be disingenuous.

Enact serious tort reform and allow interstate competition and those two things would go a long way to reducing costs for the healthcare consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies