U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 88 32.23%
Leave them up. It's history. 185 67.77%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2017, 06:51 AM
 
4,263 posts, read 919,309 times
Reputation: 980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Take them down, period.
Perhaps take them down & put in a museum. Teach the Constitution of the Confederate States of America alongside the Constitution of the United States of America to demonstrate how the CSA intended to be different from the USA:

Quote:
...We can get a good glimpse into the founding principles of the Confederacy by taking an in-depth look at the Confederate constitution, which was approved, and came into use by the rebel states on March 11, 1861. The document is largely a word-for-word copy of the United States constitution, but with several key changes. The changes offer the clearest window of insight into how precisely the CSA intended to be different from the USA, and why. ...
Constitution of the Confederate States of America- what was changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Here
10,314 posts, read 10,355,761 times
Reputation: 5384
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Good perspective. We cannot change history. However, we can decide who should and shouldn't be honored. Confederate soldiers should NEVER be honored, period.
And it's up to people like YOU and other PC snowflakes to decide who should and shouldn't be honored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 AM
 
39,532 posts, read 37,021,415 times
Reputation: 12540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
And it's up to people like YOU and other PC snowflakes to decide who should and shouldn't be honored?
Call me PC all you want. I don't care. It is a fact that the desire to keep and expand slavery was a major reason for the desire to secede. That is not honorable. It is also a fact that the right to keep slavery was spelled out in the Confederate Constitution. I will decide that honoring Confederate soldiers is a bad idea because of history. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 AM
 
39,532 posts, read 37,021,415 times
Reputation: 12540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Perhaps take them down & put in a museum. Teach the Constitution of the Confederate States of America alongside the Constitution of the United States of America to demonstrate how the CSA intended to be different from the USA:



Constitution of the Confederate States of America- what was changed?
Indeed. Teach people where things went wrong as a nation. Teach them "this is what was wrong with the nation in those days".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
17,679 posts, read 7,654,980 times
Reputation: 6436
The people of NOLA should vote on it. It's their home, they should decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 AM
 
4,263 posts, read 919,309 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Call me PC all you want. I don't care. It is a fact that the desire to keep and expand slavery was a major reason for the desire to secede. That is not honorable. It is also a fact that the right to keep slavery was spelled out in the Confederate Constitution. I will decide that honoring Confederate soldiers is a bad idea because of history. Period.
I'm with you Green, although it's worth noting the Lost Cause 'historians' sought to be way more PC than you or anyone in the present day can ever hope to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 AM
 
28,700 posts, read 9,488,840 times
Reputation: 14194
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Call me PC all you want. I don't care. It is a fact that the desire to keep and expand slavery was a major reason for the desire to secede. That is not honorable. It is also a fact that the right to keep slavery was spelled out in the Confederate Constitution. I will decide that honoring Confederate soldiers is a bad idea because of history. Period.
At the time of secession Slavey was also a part of the US Constitution too. So your point fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Here.
10,758 posts, read 9,518,442 times
Reputation: 12894
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomerroomer View Post
No he'll last. But it will be said he followed the rules and was an orderly leader in a sea of chaos.

I don't know...he was a slaveowner. He was also wealthy (that means he stole from poor people, you know). He was also a member of many "white men only" organizations: Constitutional Congress, U.S. Army, Masons, etc. He should have refused to be a part of such racist, mysogynist organizations. He also was a member of the military and we all know they are bad people who use guns to kill innocent people.

So you see, there is a lot for liberal revisionists to work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:36 AM
 
7,902 posts, read 2,203,033 times
Reputation: 5306
Good. There should be no statues honoring traitors in our public squares. This, like the removal of the Confederate flag flying over our federal and state government buildings, is long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Status: "Livin' it up in the United States of Russia" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Bel Air, California
16,933 posts, read 16,350,103 times
Reputation: 25298
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The Democrap Party should be required to apologize to everyone for their support of slavery, racism, and violence from inception till today.
ok, sorry.


and...those that can't look at statues are condemned to repeat bad history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top