Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 133 36.14%
Leave them up. It's history. 235 63.86%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:16 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Hmmm, although General Jackson is very controversial, he did win a major battle in New Orleans. Does that monument specifically commemorate his American victory there?
The Jackson Statue in New Orleans' Jackson Square celebrates not only the important American victory at the Battle of New Orleans over a large British invasion force in 1815, but it also celebrates Jackson's emphatic opposition to succession from the Union by individual states:

<<The inscription on the granite base of the monument was cut by General Benjamin Butler's orders during the federal occupation of New Orleans during the Civil War. In 1830, at a celebration for Thomas Jefferson’s birthday, President Andrew Jackson had made the following toast: “Our Federal Union: It must be preserved!” In 1862, General Butler changed Jackson’s famous statement, whether intentionally or unintentionally, to read: "The Union must and shall be preserved.">>

Battle of New Orleans: Jackson Square - Stop 2 of 10 in the Battle of New Orleans tour | New Orleans Historical

<<
Many people expected the states’ rights Jackson to side with Hayne. However once the debate shifted to secession and nullification, Jackson sided with Webster. On April 13, 1830 at the traditional Democratic Party celebration honoring Thomas Jefferson’s birthday, Jackson chose to make his position clear. In a battle of toasts, Hayne proposed, "The Union of the States, and the Sovereignty of the States.” Jackson’s response, when his turn came, was, "Our Federal Union: It must be preserved.” To those attending, the effect was dramatic. Calhoun would respond with his own toast, in a play on Webster’s closing remarks in the earlier debate, "The Union. Next to our liberty, the most dear.” Finally Martin Van Buren would offer, "Mutual forbearance and reciprocal concession. Through their agency the Union was established. The patriotic spirit from which they emanated will forever sustain it.”

Van Buren wrote in his autobiography of Jackson’s toast, "The veil was rent – the incantations of the night were exposed to the light of day.” Senator Thomas Hart Benton, in his memoirs, stated that the toast "electrified the country.”[67] Jackson would have the final words a few days later when a visitor from South Carolina asked if Jackson had any message he wanted relayed to his friends back in the state. Jackson’s reply was:
“ Yes I have; please give my compliments to my friends in your State and say to them, that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach.[68]>>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullification_Crisis

Like George Washington (see post 181) before him, Andrew Jackson had no tolerance for those contemplating succession and the dismantling of the Union.

The confederate statues in NOLA are coming down

Old 05-28-2017, 12:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,586,979 times
It is as they say, 'pride goes, before the fall.'

Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It is as they say, 'pride goes, before the fall.'
That could applied to the Civil War over all.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:12 PM

345 posts, read 249,939 times
I was thinking you could just name every single street after MLK.

A bit confusing, but maybe give them all different numbers.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:31 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
I think that it's a real shame that these statues are being removed. The Civil War was not just about slavery. There were other issues involved and including how much say the Federal government has over State rights. Civil War buffs also get into the military strategies of the battles. And all of US history ought to be preserved so that we never forget and to not repeat past mistakes. America is NOT like Russia or China where past leaders statues get removed and sold as scrap metal. What next? Should we demand to take down the Egyptian pyramids and other ancient sites who were built using slave labour?

Slavery is bad, but 400-500 years ago, it was the norm. Actually, slavery was practiced in most older civilizations in one form or another. Mankind and all living creatures have a natural tendency to bully the weaker. With humans, the less advanced tribes and societies, or the less armed ones would always been pillaged and raped by the stronger people. The Vikings did it to the British Isles. The Brits were terrible to the Irish. Look at what happened to the Native Americans, Australian aborigines, the New Zealand Maoris... and what is still happening in South America to the indigenous peoples living in the rain forest. And in Africa, the stronger tribes sold their weaker enemy tribes to the Westerners. And had the Westerners not bought them, I'd think that it was most likely that those weaker peoples would have been slaughtered instead. At least the menfolk, with the women being raped. Look at what the Boko Haram did with those captured school girls or stealing young boys to turn into child soldiers. Africa still has a slavery problem.

What happened to the black slaves in America was bad, but going forward we all should be putting our energies to not obliterating the past, but stopping all current forms of slavery globally. It's really a waste of time to wallow in the past and have tantrums over it.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:49 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,406,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
On one hand, I don't think we should hide from our history. On the other, I'm not keen on celebrations of traitors on public property.
Agreed, they should be moved to museums, which as I understand it, is what is being planned for them.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:14 PM

345 posts, read 249,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleyCouch17243 View Post
You do realize that slavery in the Americas was far, FAR worse than any form before it, right?
OK, I'll bite. How so?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,550,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There were other issues involved and including how much say the Federal government has over State rights.
Like how the Federal Government was utilized to override Free State doctrines like "Once Free Always Free" and made it illegal for anybody even in the Northern free states to help slaves?

Like how the South was able to use Federal Law to deputize anybody, judge, sheriff, layman, regardless of their feelings towards slavery, and compel them by law to help capture "fugitive slaves", or even kidnap free blacks and send them back South into slavery, or risk punishment themselves?

Like how the Federal Law banned black people's right to a trial to prove they were not a "fugitive", regardless of the fact there were many Northern laws that guaranteed their freedom?

You're right, Northern State's Rights were definitely being trampled by the Federal Government leading up to the war.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:06 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleyCouch17243 View Post
You do realize that slavery in the Americas was far, FAR worse than any form before it, right?
No. You are wrong. In the whole history of mankind, there is no way that you can say or prove that.

And since, then there are probably worse situations of slavery currently going on. Like the women who are victims of sex trafficking or abducted girls as child brides being raped every day. Also what is happening in Africa with the child soldiers.

And what about the pimps in America making their women prostitute themselves and they (the pimps) take all of the money? That is slavery also, and many of the pimps are black men.

Stop thinking that Africans have had it worst of all. And especially when slavery is going on still in their home country (and other parts of the world).

Old 05-29-2017, 10:34 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,550,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. You are wrong. In the whole history of mankind, there is no way that you can say or prove that.

And since, then there are probably worse situations of slavery currently going on. Like the women who are victims of sex trafficking or abducted girls as child brides being raped every day. Also what is happening in Africa with the child soldiers.

And what about the pimps in America making their women prostitute themselves and they (the pimps) take all of the money? That is slavery also, and many of the pimps are black men.

Stop thinking that Africans have had it worst of all. And especially when slavery is going on still in their home country (and other parts of the world).
Yeah, raping slaves nowadays is way worse than raping slaves throughout history. Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.