Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

The left is motivated by its hatred for, or at least its desire to replace, the traditional American nation
What exactly is the traditional American nation? How far back are we going? Slavery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No it's not, and yes you are as you keep proving. Why don't you explain why YOU are so blindly partisan as you constantly demonstrate?
In what way am I blindly partisan? Can you even support this claim?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I heard a talk radio host make a comment last night that resonated and made a lot of sense. If people no longer have a sense of right and wrong, and have lost the ability to make their own decisions, they'll follow whatever their political party says is right. If their party says its wrong, its wrong. Our founding fathers wanted the people to question authority and to determine their own destinies. Benjamin Franklin wanted printers of the time to challenge government and to take risks.
But people seem to be happy to be sheeple. It used to be that talk radio had the greatest number of free thinkers and educated people discussing the issues. Now I think that internet users have taken that spot. City Data, Reddit, Voat, ATS, these people are on top of everything. But there are also shills and trolls working in their midst so like with the MSM, we have to be wary.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Off topic.

Also, I'm not blindly partisan.

I ask questions to better understand why Cons believe what they do. But its hard to get answers to questions because the usual response is to just attack Obama, Hillary or liberals. Kind of what you are doing now. Avoiding the question and going straight for the attack.
LOL, yeah. Not hardly.

You titled one of your threads, "Why Do Some People Hate The Environment"..... Another was titled, "Why Are Republicans Ok With Violating The Constitution".... In other words, you aren't trying to learn anything, you've already made up your mind about them, as you demonstrate right in the titles. Those threads have about as much chance of spawning a serious conversation as if I started a thread titled "Why Do Liberals Think It's Ok To Murder Babies".....

From what I've seen, you're as blind a partisan as anyone else on here.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Only the left. Many Republicans didn't like what Megan Kelly and for example Shepherd Smith say and do and therefore they don't buy everything that is said on Fox News so your statement only aplies to the left.
That doesn't demonstrate that they aren't blindly partisan, if anything, it demonstrates the exact opposite.

Trump supporters don't accept any negative thing that is said about him, even if it is clearly, obviously, painfully true. That's why you don't like Megan Kelly or Shepard Smith, because you don't like anybody that criticizes Trump, whether it's a valid criticism or not. Trump supporters are among the blindest of partisans from what I can see...

During the primaries, I posted on here several times that I didn't know who was more delusional, Trump supporters or Liberals.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That doesn't demonstrate that they aren't blindly partisan, if anything, it demonstrates the exact opposite.

Trump supporters don't accept any negative thing that is said about him, even if it is clearly, obviously, painfully true. That's why you don't like Megan Kelly or Shepard Smith, because you don't like anybody that criticizes Trump, whether it's a valid criticism or not. Trump supporters are among the blindest of partisans from what I can see...

During the primaries, I posted on here several times that I didn't know who was more delusional, Trump supporters or Liberals.
"Trump supporters don't accept any negative thing that is said about him,"

This the crust of the matter.

Many on the left THINK they KNOW what people on the right think.

They are usually WRONG.

We see it all the time on here, Repubs hate (fill in the blank), repubs want to ruin the environment, repubs don't want (fill in the blanks) etc.

Being YOU used the phrase, "Trump supports", a some, not most, not many, etc., and made a claim about them.

How many people do you THINK are Trump supporters, 6 million plus, I would guess.

By your "claim" you have spoken to every single one of them and THAT is how you came to the "concussion" that "Trump supporter don't ....".

If you HAVEN'T (we you that you haven't because you never asked me) spoken to every single 1 of them, it just shows how you and your make things up out of thin air to push your own agendas.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
This isn't partisanship. This is miles beyond partisanship. This is a clash of two diametrically opposed value systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
You mean Nixon didn't put party over country with Watergate? I think it's pretty clear that the DNC break-ins were politics over core American values.

I agree with you that Bork's failed confirmation was a new type of partisanship in Supreme Court nomination (but Bork wasn't the country).

Really, I would point back much further, to the nullification crisis as the first instance of politics over country. The politics are baked in.
The divisions are more than political for there really is no "We the People." Never has been. Use whatever label you wish but the time of the Founding this country cobbled together two very diametrically opposed "value systems" or maybe call it underlying cultural bases. It only took a few generations before we were at each other's throats during a bloody Civil War.

At it's simplest, there are dramatically opposing concepts of the target relationship between the individual and the larger society. Hard here to really the appreciate the level of emotionality that becomes attached to these concepts but it plays out in the rampant bitterness that we see today.

Sure, there are periods of relative calm - the most recent during the last fifty years or so with the economic expansion after WW2. Current economic stressors ... the rapidity of recent social changes ... benefits accrued to those who flame the divisions (corporate, talk radio) all work to weaken already fragile underlying bonds.

Here, I'm pessimistic. Maybe some of that comes from spending time on the board the last few months to see how most just talk past each other. But it's far deeper.

All the concern about immigrants be they Hispanics or Muslims changing "American" culture totally miss the point. Most newcomers adapt over time to their neighbors - their underlying way of looking at the world. That some may keep speaking Spanish or others wearing the hijab are but surface details.

Gradually, we are falling into a war of words. If there is any hope, it is to accept that the division is deep seated and permanent and so try to minimize the fallout.

Last edited by EveryLady; 03-08-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Why?

Because humans are tribal apes. Truth is whatever the tribal leader (guy on tv, AM radio, or website) says is the truth.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Off topic.

Also, I'm not blindly partisan.

I ask questions to better understand why Cons believe what they do. But its hard to get answers to questions because the usual response is to just attack Obama, Hillary or liberals. Kind of what you are doing now. Avoiding the question and going straight for the attack.

You're not blindly partisan? You really believe that?

Well of course you believe it because you can't see it. You, and many others, suffer from a form of confirmation bias.

Someone says something you agree with, no matter how outrageous or radical, you don't see how preposterous it is because it confirms your belief.

That why you can start those threads I highlighted and not see the rank partisanship embodied in them.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Trump supporters don't accept any negative thing that is said about him,"

This the crust of the matter.

Many on the left THINK they KNOW what people on the right think.

They are usually WRONG.

We see it all the time on here, Repubs hate (fill in the blank), repubs want to ruin the environment, repubs don't want (fill in the blanks) etc.

Being YOU used the phrase, "Trump supports", a some, not most, not many, etc., and made a claim about them.

How many people do you THINK are Trump supporters, 6 million plus, I would guess.

By your "claim" you have spoken to every single one of them and THAT is how you came to the "concussion" that "Trump supporter don't ....".

If you HAVEN'T (we you that you haven't because you never asked me) spoken to every single 1 of them, it just shows how you and your make things up out of thin air to push your own agendas.
Sure, profound misunderstanding. But again, it's deeper. Most folks don't deal well with ambivalence or parsing conflicting input. We adopt a position then reject any evidence that conflicts. There must be numerous psychological experiments that demonstrate this.

So how to keep functioning as a country? Here, as faith is lost in underlying institutions essential differences come to the forefront. And that weakening has been happening for some time. So-called traditionalists see the dysfunction and attribute it to the left. The left on the other hand blames the rampant individualism of traditionalists.

And both try to use the label "morality" - which further inflames and pushes buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies