Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:27 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
No, it's stupid logic to think that taxes are evil. Only the pampered people of the United States would look at taxes as being "draconian".
In this case, money is taken from people and nothing is given in return. They are simply made poorer with nothing to show for it. I'd say this fits the definition of evil quite nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
No, it's stupid logic to think that taxes are evil. Only the pampered people of the United States would look at taxes as being "draconian".
Boy if that isn't about the biggest load of crap I've ever heard...

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
If you want soda, there are two choices:

Soda Stream machine where you make your own.

Make Koolaid and add some soda water.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:32 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Ah, not American, that makes sense as only free people see taxes as oppressive.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Zero Hedge!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Many people are fat for many different reasons. Some have various problems that cause them to retain weight, regardless of how they eat or drink. Some can eat and drink all they like and will never gain because of it. Some moderate and eat more or less at different times.

Who the hell are you to dictate to them? I know people who drink TONS of soda but gain no weight. Explain that Dr. Genius!

The fact is, you can not legislate "one size fits all" as not everyone is the same and if you had a clue, you would understand this.

But hey... lets make laws for everyone and measure EVERYONE by the same standard! Brilliant! Intelligent!

Oh, and never mind that it urinates on individual liberty at the same time, but hey... you don't give a crap about peoples freedoms now do you?
I'm sorry but preventative diseases have a quantifiable cost. I don't see this a liberty thing although I could make the argument that obesity is subsidized by the healthy through insurance. How is that liberty by not paying one's fair share?

Quote:
So is stupidity, but I think putting a stupid tax on people would be a bit oppressive. Wouldn't you find it insulting to pay such because some bureaucrat blanket categorized you as such?
Because you can't see the forest through the trees that you're "version" costs more money while my "version" saves money.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:48 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
No, I'm American. I pay taxes all the time; I just don't b*tch about it. And I'm not so myopic to consider it "draconian".

Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
My dad sees taxes as oppressive and coincidentally my dad is very cheap.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In this case, money is taken from people and nothing is given in return. They are simply made poorer with nothing to show for it. I'd say this fits the definition of evil quite nicely.
Pre-K education is being given. Health care costs will be avoided. You got all that for 18 cents per 12 ouncer of Jolt Cola. Pretty nice deal.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Pre-K education is being given. Health care costs will be avoided. You got all that for 18 cents per 12 ouncer of Jolt Cola. Pretty nice deal.
Govt daycare for those with no children and many can drink soda with no health detriment. Like I said, nothing of value in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies