Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to stop racism? Do you think it is possible? How about starting early on, pre K, or grade school? Would it work? The only problem is at home, if the parents are racist, they will teach the children to be racist.
Any ideas?
First of all, one has to define exactly what is meant by the term "racism". It is hard to try and "eradicate" something when there is no clear idea and/or agreed upon definition of what all it entails...

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-07-2008 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
This is actually a thoughtful post and appreciated. You have broken this down into a simple, and understandable logic.
What?? LOL I don't mean to be sarcastic or disrespectful, but in my own redneck Texas/Southern opinion, I am not the least bit sure of what the heck was even said to being with. But then again, I never figured out why a mixmax of paint thrown on a canvas passed as "art" either...

Oh well...

Quote:
I agree. I never lived in the south, although when I traveled through there and was constantly berated as a "Yankee," I vowed to never return! (I know that's not racism, but I have a point.)
I am sure you do.

Quote:
I know people whose families live in the south (this is the barometer for my opinion), and they either came out west on their own, or their families moved them here while they were young.
Yeah, I just bet it is (the barometer for your opinion, that is). And likely all you know about the South or Southerners, or ever care to find out first hand. Something you heard third hand or from your own pre-conceived notions.

This is a prime example of sheer ignorance about the South and race relations down here.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
First of all, one has to define exactly what is meant by the term "racism". It is hard to try and "eradicate" something when there is no clear idea and/or agreed upon definition of what all it entails...
In the end, "racism" really isn't a scientific term. It isn't like "gravity" or weight" or "density". It's more a subjective term, like "kindness", or "rudeness" or "honesty". As such ITS DEFINITION is subject to the viewpoint and beliefs of those who WITNESS IT... (or who believe they PERCIEVE it)...

Obviously, there are 'textbook" cases of blatant, out-and-out racism that NO one could argue with. Segregation, "KKK" harasment, and much societal mean-spiritedness are pretty clearly caused by racism. Few would question this.

The problem begins when racism becomes entwined with OTHER subjective, inexact terms..like "behavior", or "feelings", or "personal taste"...Eventually, racism becomes impossible to 'prove', any more than unkindness, stupidity, or meanness can actually be 'proved'. It becomes a matter of ethics and morality.

Does the absence of ANY group in a small town--or in an industry--or in a social club--in a school-----or even in a FAMILY....constitute evidence that these 'institutions' are 'racist'? They COULD be, of course..no question about it. But they could just as easily NOT be, and that's the problem--for while some folks will INSIST that the scarcity of blacks in North Dakota---or Hispanics at Harvard---or Whites in the District of Columbia---or Asians in the offshore Oil industry..is absolute PROOF that these "things" are racist ("if they WEREN'T, there'd be more of 'us' ")....It's also possible that the racial imbalance of these things and places are not due to 'racism' at ALL, and there are plenty of OTHER reasons that people simply choose to 'distribute' themselves unevenly.

If I have a problem with a mugger of my own race, it's pretty well understood I'm objecting to him, and angry with him, because he robbed me. If he's of a DIFFERENT race, I STILL don't want to be robbed...but in this case, some will attribute any objections to THAT mugger, and my anger toward him, as evidence of my 'racism'. Makes no sense, but it's often assumed just that way.

Racism is a loaded word. It can mean anything from the most egregious abuses of fairness, to simple poorly-founded 'charges', to nothing more than 'the actions of anyone I happen to disagree with, as long as he's of another race". ALL of these have been called examples of 'racism'. Obviously, some should be taken seriously, while some are silly..

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Racism is a loaded word. It can mean anything from the most egregious abuses of fairness, to simple poorly-founded 'charges', to nothing more than 'the actions of anyone I happen to disagree with, as long as he's of another race". ALL of these have been called examples of 'racism'. Obviously, some should be taken seriously, while some are silly..
Exactly right, Macmeal. Which was my original intended point. As was written in Lewis Carrolls "Through The Looking Glass" (Alice in Wonderland) Humpty Dumpty explained that the meaning of a word is no more nor less than what "he" intended it to mean in the context of the point being made. That is why I ask of those who toss the term "racism" (or any other "ism" or "phobia") around so righteously and casually, to explain EXACTLY what they mean by it...

Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 PM

626 posts, read 992,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to stop racism? Do you think it is possible? How about starting early on, pre K, or grade school? Would it work? The only problem is at home, if the parents are racist, they will teach the children to be racist.
Any ideas?
LOL

When will have world peace?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:35 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Implement the society described by Aldous Huxley in "Brave New World." We're about halfway there; finish the job.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i can't stop "racist", its usually name calling. happens a lot when people get called on their stuff.
another name people will use, they will call themselves "victim" i am afraid of victims. they are usually
mad and wana get even with somebody. ask anybody in prison for violent crime if they are a victim.
i have a dream.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-08-2008 at 02:24 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Well, racism will always be here. My family is loaded with BM/WW couples and hard-core racists at the same time! What binds us tho is our love for each other regardless of our choices in life.

Also, some racism can come from bad experiences. Most of the White kids I know who grew up in ghetto Black hoods became quite racist. Same with Black kids who grew up in the Deep South. Even I have racist thoughts from time to time, and I'm Bi-Racial!!!!!

Everybody is a little bit racist. Maybe instead of trying to artifically suppress it, we should air what we feel out in the open and have a real discussion about it. Maybe when the Black guy understands what makes the White guy tick and vice versa, we could come to an understanding.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Racism is more prevalent now, than 30 years ago.
It's very profitable to be "discriminated against." When people are rewarded for their claims of "racism," that "inspires" others to also feel that they are discriminated against, as well.
So being a victim of racism is very popular these days!

It isn't going away.......

Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,277 times
Racism, and all forms of bigotry and prejudice, are in our genes. They are a survival adaptation; as long as there are different looking people, there will be some sort of racism. And even when we are all one brownish, mutt of a species, there will still be bigotry and prejudice...it will be short versus tall or old versus young or X region versus Y region.

In other words, it's a pipe dream, so you might as well get over it and get back in touch with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies