Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:54 AM

304 posts, read 160,368 times

Advertisements

Now I was born in the early 80's well after Watergate, too young to remember Iran-Contra but obviously do remember the scandals of both Clinton's and a pseudo-scandal Benghazi

All of these have one odd thing in common. 2 of these individuals were basically open and never faced charges, impeachment, etc the other 3 faced certain impeachment & conviction (nixon), impeachment (bill) and a loss of what should've been an easy election (Hillary). Now from a VERY VERY general way of looking at it, I was always taught that in the cases of Nixon and the Clinton's if they shut-up and admitted lapse of judgement for a better word 99% of how far these things went would've never gotten that far.

If Nixon just said something along the lines of "these guys were trying to help, they crossed the line breaking into the building, they will be fired and dealt with by the proper authorities" the whole mess that followed would've never happened, those guys would've gotten probation/suspended sentence and Nixon most likely would've quietly pardoned them down the road instead he tried to cover everything up and it got him.

If Bill Clinton said from the start "yes, I had an inappropriate relationship with Monica (and others) and I am sorry" it would've taken a lot of wind out the GOP sails..remember the impeachment was obstinately over perjury not the affair...cheating on your wife is not an impeachable offense..sleazy but not "high crimes and misdemeanors"

If Hillary said "yes I have a server because it was not explicitly illegal to have one, but since it is obviously frowned upon I am willing to work with the proper people to make sure nothing was compromised" (remember it was all about classified documents getting into the wrong hands not having said server, if it was solely Clinton having the server Obama/FBI would've had no choice but to arrest her) instead she tried to Deflect and Distract and it blew up bigger than it had to.

Now Reagan and Obama were smart how they handled things. Regan basically said (again abridged and being general) "I didn't know what was happening but as President I should've and I am sorry and will correct this" now whether or not this is 100% truthful will always be up for debate but the point is he was open about everything and avoided problems..and George H.W. Bush quietly pardoned the people who fell on their swords for Regan just before he left office.

Obama has Benghazi, now I know I am opening the gates to hell on this but lets face it..there were 8 investigations, and even though Briet Bart, Infowars, Alex Jones World News Daily and others promised they obtained "the smoking gun of the cover up" and "impeachment was all but certain/unavoidable" Obama will be finished before the end of 2013, 14, 15 the GOP never even got close to impeachment, nothing even went to committee, even after a big win in 2014 midterms where dems might of went along with impeachment nothing happened...why because despite what the aforementioned websites said Obama never stopped or tried to obstruct and investigation, he let them do their things and every time they was no smoking gun or anything.

So what does this have to do with Trump, well Reagan and Obama despite what people feel personally about them were open and never tried to stop anything and even though its a "black mark" on their respective presidencies no impeachment and oddly enough both left office with high marks. Nixon, and the Clinton's kept trying to deflect, distract and hinder and it cost them (although Bill avoided conviction and left office with high marks its something that will always plague him, plus if the economy was crappy in the late 90's when it happened he would've been gone).

If Trump did do something wrong or even remotely shady he should hurry up and be honest about it. The people are generally forgiving if you just admit a lapse in judgement. No president is infallible, hell if he just said he was played for a fool many people will be more willing to move on. If he did nothing wrong let people investigate. Let them look like fools when nothing shows up. If he continues to obstruct and pull what the Clinton's and Nixon did this could get really bad for him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Now I was born in the early 80's well after Watergate, too young to remember Iran-Contra but obviously do remember the scandals of both Clinton's and a pseudo-scandal Benghazi

All of these have one odd thing in common. 2 of these individuals were basically open and never faced charges, impeachment, etc the other 3 faced certain impeachment & conviction (nixon), impeachment (bill) and a loss of what should've been an easy election (Hillary). Now from a VERY VERY general way of looking at it, I was always taught that in the cases of Nixon and the Clinton's if they shut-up and admitted lapse of judgement for a better word 99% of how far these things went would've never gotten that far.

If Nixon just said something along the lines of "these guys were trying to help, they crossed the line breaking into the building, they will be fired and dealt with by the proper authorities" the whole mess that followed would've never happened, those guys would've gotten probation/suspended sentence and Nixon most likely would've quietly pardoned them down the road instead he tried to cover everything up and it got him.

If Bill Clinton said from the start "yes, I had an inappropriate relationship with Monica (and others) and I am sorry" it would've taken a lot of wind out the GOP sails..remember the impeachment was obstinately over perjury not the affair...cheating on your wife is not an impeachable offense..sleazy but not "high crimes and misdemeanors"

If Hillary said "yes I have a server because it was not explicitly illegal to have one, but since it is obviously frowned upon I am willing to work with the proper people to make sure nothing was compromised" (remember it was all about classified documents getting into the wrong hands not having said server, if it was solely Clinton having the server Obama/FBI would've had no choice but to arrest her) instead she tried to Deflect and Distract and it blew up bigger than it had to.

Now Reagan and Obama were smart how they handled things. Regan basically said (again abridged and being general) "I didn't know what was happening but as President I should've and I am sorry and will correct this" now whether or not this is 100% truthful will always be up for debate but the point is he was open about everything and avoided problems..and George H.W. Bush quietly pardoned the people who fell on their swords for Regan just before he left office.

Obama has Benghazi, now I know I am opening the gates to hell on this but lets face it..there were 8 investigations, and even though Briet Bart, Infowars, Alex Jones World News Daily and others promised they obtained "the smoking gun of the cover up" and "impeachment was all but certain/unavoidable" Obama will be finished before the end of 2013, 14, 15 the GOP never even got close to impeachment, nothing even went to committee, even after a big win in 2014 midterms where dems might of went along with impeachment nothing happened...why because despite what the aforementioned websites said Obama never stopped or tried to obstruct and investigation, he let them do their things and every time they was no smoking gun or anything.

So what does this have to do with Trump, well Reagan and Obama despite what people feel personally about them were open and never tried to stop anything and even though its a "black mark" on their respective presidencies no impeachment and oddly enough both left office with high marks. Nixon, and the Clinton's kept trying to deflect, distract and hinder and it cost them (although Bill avoided conviction and left office with high marks its something that will always plague him, plus if the economy was crappy in the late 90's when it happened he would've been gone).

If Trump did do something wrong or even remotely shady he should hurry up and be honest about it. The people are generally forgiving if you just admit a lapse in judgement. No president is infallible, hell if he just said he was played for a fool many people will be more willing to move on. If he did nothing wrong let people investigate. Let them look like fools when nothing shows up. If he continues to obstruct and pull what the Clinton's and Nixon did this could get really bad for him

quote- even remotely shady he should hurry up and be honest about it. The people are generally forgiving if you just admit a lapse in judgement

It might be an action with consequences- even if forgivable, may be NOT with out penalty

Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
quote- even remotely shady he should hurry up and be honest about it. The people are generally forgiving if you just admit a lapse in judgement

It might be an action with consequences- even if forgivable, may be NOT with out penalty

True, but its still early to repair damage that could happen during the midterms and a potential re-election bid if he chooses to run (or at the very least help out Pence who would all but certain go for it if trump refuses) it all depends on what he admits to if he so decides but if prevents people from looking at anything it won't help at all.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
If Trump had nothing to hide, he would release his tax returns like every president has in the last 30 years.

Between 2012 and 2016, Donald J. Trump said he would release his tax returns if he were president 13 times. here is a detailed breakdown of every time Trump said he would release them:

#ShowUsYourTaxes: Here

Quote:
May 2014: "if I decide to run for office, I’ll produce my tax returns, absolutely and I would love to do that." - Donald J. Trump
Quote:
May 8th, 2016" "I have no problem releasing the tax returns" - Donald J. Trump

Old 03-09-2017, 08:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Come on. Trump has said he's never asked God's forgiveness for anything, a rather central tenet of the Christian faith he claims to hold so dear. If he's incapable of admitting he made a mistake to God, what on earth makes you think he will admit it to us lowly humans?

This man simply cannot acknowledge wrongdoing or failure on his own part. It is ALWAYS someone else's fault. Sadly, he is greatly aided in this by his base, who refuse to admit even the barest possibility that he could be wrong about anything. If...no...when they are confronted with evidence, they will undoubtedly say the whole thing is a vicious plot by the media to bring down his administration.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Obviously, tRump is hiding a bunch of things and he's acting guiltier than the puppy that peed on the carpet.

He's very amusing.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Come on. Trump has said he's never asked God's forgiveness for anything, a rather central tenet of the Christian faith he claims to hold so dear. If he's incapable of admitting he made a mistake to God, what on earth makes you think he will admit it to us lowly humans?

This man simply cannot acknowledge wrongdoing or failure on his own part. It is ALWAYS someone else's fault. Sadly, he is greatly aided in this by his base, who refuse to admit even the barest possibility that he could be wrong about anything. If...no...when they are confronted with evidence, they will undoubtedly say the whole thing is a vicious plot by the media to bring down his administration.

That is the biggest problem.
The Trump voters can be reasonably split into 3 groups.

The people who voted against Clinton and he reaped the benefits, they don't care much to defend him they just didn't want Hillary in.

The evangelicals who voted for Pence, figuring that Trump will either do something dumb or just quit when he can't get his way like he has done in the business world and "their guy" gets elevated to president...so they won't really care what happens to Trump

Finally the hardcore Trump base who literally believe he is the second coming. Or who spent so much time defending him that they can;t admit if he did something wrong. A Trump Tweet is all the proof they need...(see wiretapping with no evidence, millions of illegals voted with no evidence) and we are committing treason for doubting trump, and obama had to of tapped his phone because (because is the reason)

Old 03-09-2017, 08:49 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Trump obviously has something in his income tax filing statement that he doesn't want the American people to see.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

Are you saying Hillary Clinton should go to jail?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Trump obviously has something in his income tax filing statement that he doesn't want the American people to see.
I hope he never releases it cause I know how mad its makes you anti-Trumpers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies