Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The cost never changes. Just who pays does.

America is sitting around the dinner table with the bill placed face-down. Nobody wants to pick it up but believes someone should.

*shrug*
That about sums it up..... nicely.

Bottom line is that, ACA, or no ACA, single payer or no single payer, or whatever plan is eventually put in place.....the best thing people can do is take full responsibility for their own heath! Do your own research, don't go to the doctor unless you are sure you need to. Don't expect the 'system' to pick up everything for you if you're 85 years old. Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Is that really true? I mean 12.2 million people signed up this last enrollment period and there's 20 million in total in the ACA. If people could truly not afford it why are they signing up? Isn't it just cheaper to pay for the penalty?

Remove the subsidies and see how many sign up for it.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Millions more will be left out of the new plan. Low income and retirees will be hit especially hard.
Republicans have used tax credits for years and it has never helped anyone but the top tier.
Same tired, recycled ideas.
I don't want to keep on subsidizing the poor: I pay enough in taxes, now I need to give them free health care?

Old 03-10-2017, 08:50 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I don't want to keep on subsidizing the poor: I pay enough in taxes, now I need to give them free health care?
You do and will continue to. There is no way around it other than refusing care, if they have no insurance we all pay.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Maybe they need to repeal and not replace. When millions lose any health insurance, let it ride.

Just wish a few GOP lawmakers had the balls to say it directly. "$10 an hour dude, you don't provide enough additional GDP to the economy to justify yourself receiving health insurance. If you die... Die. No real loss."

Old 03-10-2017, 09:09 AM

365 posts, read 258,020 times
Default Why not let Obama care run a few more years??

Seriously,

Why not let ACA - Obamacare - run a few more years to see if it succeeds or fails?

Don't change the law one bit from what it was on President Obama's last day in office. Increase funding required by the law only by the national CPI index. Nothing more or less.

If the Republicans are right, the failure would be catastrophic and they will have the nation on their side to repeal and replace. They will have been vindicated!

If the Democrats are right, and it is so wonderful, we will obviously be much better off. They will have been vindicated!

Or, maybe, just maybe, both sides could stop playing politics and find a way to reduce the cost of medical care in this country to about what the same care costs in Europe, Canada, etc. After all it is the excessive cost of medical care that is at the root of the problem.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 AM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I am on Obamacare and signed up to avoid the penalty as well as total financial ruin should a catastrophic medical event happen to my family. I really can't afford to use my policy ($1000 a month for family) as the first $6700 per person comes out of pocket, over $13k per family deductible. We lost employer coverage and since then have avoided going to the doctor at all cost. I do keep our annual checkups for the kids as that is "free", but I don't go to the doctor when I am sick anymore. My sister and family are in the same situation and it's tough. We both make too much to qualify for subsidies. I read these sob stories about how "Obamacare saved my life", but I wonder how many other people like me will die because they avoided going to the doctor as using their insurance was not affordable.
Oh I agree it stinks royally for some, but I blame the reps for not contributing and forging out the ACA back then, and the dam insurance companies! They play us all like a fiddle. We are too afraid to lose a child or family member so we agree to all their demands. Nobody will challenge them. I say cut them in regulations to the teeth. They neither fly, or lose their business.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 AM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Move to your one man island.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Because it was predicted to fail and has failed. It failed the people and it failed to break the country like Obama had hoped.

Why Obamacare failed - Chicago Tribune

Why ObamaCare failed

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...surance-choice

There are endless articles marking the failure, the predicted failure at that, when it comes to ObamaCareNot.

"You'll be able to keep your doctor."

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: trolling

Old 03-10-2017, 09:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
It's already massively failed.
But i think the Rs should have just let it just be for a while as it continues to collapse and eventually democrats and voters
will have to beg the Rs to repeal and replace it. The Rs are doing this now, so that people won't have to suffer with it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies