Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
This includes different viewpoints as well, but the immediate topic is disparagement based on certain widely unpopular traits – being weak, timid, sensitive, eccentric, or strikingly poor in judgment. We all have these traits to certain degrees and we all get triggered by certain acts or expressions – including the bashers themselves. This makes the bashers of such people hypocrites. The Politics and Controversies subforum has no shortage of bashers hurling insults and other disrespectful behavior at people who disagree with others' political viewpoints, so I think this topic could apply here.
Remember when leftist attack people for supporting Trump, below is a girl going to a Trump rally. How about the kid they beat up because the they thought he voted for Trump. Remember calling people who dared to disagree with you racists, bigots, misogynist, deplorable's, uneducated and on and on? Remember leftist being offended at everything. And now, just like the left projected racism here you are, attempting to PROJECT the disgusting actions of the left onto people who couldn't believe who claim they are for free speech acted like this.

Remember when the left had a melt down because Hillary lost?

http://media.breitbart.com/media/201...ated-Press.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-10-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Why? Are they in kindergarten? Political correctness is the cause not the symptom.
What I would like to know is when the definition of "political correctness" expanded to include behavior once considered common good manners: speaking civilly to other people, listening to their opinions and then offering your objections in a rational way, and not stooping to name-calling in place of actual debate.

I am not defending the small number of students who shout down those with whom they disagree, but I would like to offer as an example one thing I am 99.9% certain everyone here is familiar with: Donald Trump defending his habit of calling women he dislikes "slobs, animals, losers," etc. To him, refraining from using such words is political correctness. To me, it's just good manners. Doesn't anyone remember the stuff their mothers taught them as toddlers?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:53 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
I'm starting a new class: Respectionism.

It's going to require a lot of work.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yes, those who throw the insults are generally guilty of being what they accuse of others. Worse, they're of the Milo mentality where they think "triggering" others by trolling them is an acceptable replacement for civil political discourse.
This is no different than Democrats being the party of slavery, Jim Crow laws and terrorizing blacks in an attempt to prevent them from voting Republican. The party that supported all these terrible things then projecting their views on others.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is no different than Democrats being the party of slavery, Jim Crow laws and terrorizing blacks in an attempt to prevent them from voting Republican. The party that supported all these terrible things then projecting their views on others.
I'm pretty sure most of the pro-slavery Democrats are dead now, but if you want to come to Tennessee, I can probably find a nice graveyard for you to dig up if you want to fight with them about it.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Snowflakes started out as the whiny pseudo liberals on college campuses. I say pseudo because many of them have NO clue what they believe and just follow what feels good at the time. Its the age of safe spaces & micro aggression for these wannabe social justice warriors that creates the entitled, easily offended snowflake.

The definition of the snowflake has expanded and run like wild fire through the left, its the attitude of entitlement, rudeness and blatant hypocrisy that is rampant on the far left.

Lets have a sit in, whine and cry because we didn't get our way! Next we will burn things, call you a racist and punch you!

Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
This thread got pretty long for being up only 12 or so hours!

Anyway, first to some themes lots of people talk of on here.

First, about “Snowflake”, the term itself. I do not see it as meaning strictly “liberal”, even though that’s what AnywhereElse said in Post 28. I see (and meant) “snowflake” to be independent of ideology – namely a personality, disposition, temperament, etc.; especially when liberals increasingly used the same term to describe conservatives who react confrontationally, if not angrily, at what liberals have to say. That’s why I put “snowflakes” in the thread title. So while AnywhereElse is correct in saying the epithet is usually fired at liberals, it’s also true that it’s increasingly used against conservatives as well.

Also, while it’s inevitable the topic would segway sharply into politics and related issues (indeed, this is the subforum for it!), I also stated the issue goes beyond political discussions, even if it definitely is relevant to such discussions. A lot of people use disparaging remarks in the OP in ‘everyday’ matters just as readily as in politics. So while I’m all for focusing on the politics and relations between different ideological camps, it’s also applicable to any other topic you can think of – and even topic-less content.

As for Milo, I don’t watch him much, so that’s for people more familiar with him than I am to discuss. However, I have seen Bill Maher in meaningful detail, and I can tell you that – a liberal, progressive, leftist, etc. myself – I am appalled at his contribution to the public discourse due to his vile putdown of those who disagree with him (broad generalizations, character assassination). I refuse to click on any YouTube video of his because I don’t want to contribute to his kind of discourse. If Milo is even half as cutting and degrading as Maher, then he is another one I’m glad I stay away from.

Don’t get the wrong idea. I’m all for political comedy, exposing the absurdities of certain positions, particularly when comemdians use a “reducio ad absurdum” to expose politiicans and other public figures who need calling out (this is actually a softening of my previous stance of political comedy as of the past two or so years, believe it or not). Yet, there’s still a big difference between that and outright mean-spirited personalized degradation. Physical appearances and ad hominem names (“big orange”, “old hag”, etc.) are just, way, WAY beyond the pale of respectable discourse.

Last but certainly not least is the word “offense” itself. I used to think it obvious what it means, but even this one’s now degraded into a verbal weapon – a distortion of the actual spirit of the term. Put simply, there’s a HUGE difference between an actually offensive comment and a merely uncomfortable or controversial one.

Controversial statements are simply expressions of views that are unpopular or uncomfortable to hear, but cannot in any way be reasonably be seen as a personalized insult, belittlement, or degradation of the people who hold those views.

Offense necessarily includes a statement whose tone and/or content the average person is likely to see as hurtul, harmful, or demeaning to the dignity of others – especially if said with intent to do so, or with clear willful indifference (practically any example of an ad hominem qualifies, but Style Over Substance also qualifies, as does any other aesthetic-based argument for that matter. The list is potentially endless). This conflating of “offense” and “controversial” only breeds distrust of “the other”, making any helpful exchange of view far more difficult – and I’d say outright toxic for democracy, republics, or whatever you care to call our system of government.

Last edited by Phil75230; 03-10-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Snowflakes started out as the whiny pseudo liberals on college campuses. I say pseudo because many of them have NO clue what they believe and just follow what feels good at the time. Its the age of safe spaces & micro aggression for these wannabe social justice warriors that creates the entitled, easily offended snowflake.

The definition of the snowflake has expanded and run like wild fire through the left, its the attitude of entitlement, rudeness and blatant hypocrisy that is rampant on the far left.

Lets have a sit in, whine and cry because we didn't get our way! Next we will burn things!
Do I really need to point out that the words in bold describe to a T the current occupant of the White House? I really didn't want to get into that aspect of the discussion, as I honestly believe that there are too many people on both sides of the aisle who engage in this kind of behavior, but I really can't ignore this comment.

Trump's opinions, as he himself has expressed them, have been all over the map. He seems to have no core beliefs, save for those that will garner the most adulation from the largest number of people. He now holds the most powerful office on the planet, yet continues to engage in Twitter wars with other celebrities, private citizens, and members of his own party. This is not only unbecoming, it seems to me to be a serious waste of time and mental energy for someone who has far more serious matters to deal with than what's going on with "Celebrity Apprentice." It is astonishing to me that anyone who voted for Trump could accuse other people of being too thin-skinned.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:16 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Of course, but the millennial generation is unique in that being sensitive to minor slights is cultivated as a virtue.
The president is not a millennial.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What I would like to know is when the definition of "political correctness" expanded to include behavior once considered common good manners: speaking civilly to other people, listening to their opinions and then offering your objections in a rational way, and not stooping to name-calling in place of actual debate.

I am not defending the small number of students who shout down those with whom they disagree, but I would like to offer as an example one thing I am 99.9% certain everyone here is familiar with: Donald Trump defending his habit of calling women he dislikes "slobs, animals, losers," etc. To him, refraining from using such words is political correctness. To me, it's just good manners. Doesn't anyone remember the stuff their mothers taught them as toddlers?
Seriously, you never heard of the casting couch or locker room talk? How about the Jay Z's music lyrics (ex below) who by the way, gave a concert (singing this trash) for Hillary election campaign. You don't think these lyrics are disgusting and it makes you and leftist hypocrites?????

Big Pumpkin - Jay Z

You know I thug 'em, f*ck 'em, love 'em, leave 'em
‘Cause I don't f*cking need 'em
Take 'em out the hood, keep 'em looking good
But I don't f*cking feed 'em

First time they fuss I'm breezin'
Talking 'bout, "What's the reasons?"
I'm a pimp in every sense of the word
B*tch, better trust and believe 'em

In the cut where I keep 'em
'Til I need a nut, 'til I need to beat the guts
Then it's "beep beep" and I'm pickin' them up
Let 'em play with the d*ck in the truck

Many chicks wanna put J*gga's fists in cuffs
Divorce him and split his bucks
Just because you got good head
I'ma break bread, so you can be livin' it up

Sh*t, I part with nothing, y'all be fronting
Me give my heart to a woman?
Not for nothing, never happen; I'll be forever mackin'
Heart cold as assassins, I got no passion, I got no patience
And I hate waitin'; ho, get your ass in and let's ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies