Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:19 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What is happening to this country

People are trying to change it. Instead of just going to the places they want to live, they are trying to change the US to those places.

They go to a great steak restaurant and insist it switches to the same menu as the vegan place down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Again, your rattling off BS. We, the people, get to decide, based on our Laws and our way of life. You can claim that all Religions, like Mormons, Buddhists are the same as Muslims, and we know thats just BS. When Mormons and Buddhists start lopping off heads, burning people alive, and stoning people to deaths, you can come back and make another speech. Muslims don't have to be taken back to the Stone Age. They lever left there. Their Sharia Law has no place in the Western world. Period.

Do you seriously believe that "You and Yours" would be spared because you "Tolerate" people that are not fit to be in Modern Society?
Tolerance of other religious faiths/beliefs, including that of Muslims does NOT equal Sharia Law having a place in the Western world anymore than Christian beliefs and/or the Bible makes the law here.

What's next? Deportation of all Muslims from America? I'd rather see the deportation of the sort of twisted thinking you insist upon.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
There is such a thing as being too Tolerant.
Yes, but there is no such thing as being too racist or too xenophobic, because neither should be tolerated period.

As for being tolerant, of course! "Balance is key," and your thinking is simply imbalanced.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You are quick to call others "ignorant" and accuse them of living in bunkers. However, it's very clear that you are clueless and live in an ivory tower.

You obviously have not seen your neighborhood and schools destroyed by illegal aliens. I wish that I did actually live in a bunker or like you, in an ivory tower. That way I would be clueless as to the damage illegal immigration has done to our country.

Illegal aliens are parasites who take far far more than they give. I don't care how long they've been here---they have no business being here and taking jobs away from Americans.
I just call 'em the way I see 'em, and sometimes it is easy to do that quickly...

Not sure where or how you live, and needless to say you are also clueless about where I live, but I happen to live in an area known for tolerance, in particular of homeless people, maybe too tolerant people like you will argue, but you know what? From the looks of the homeless I see around where I live, NONE are Hispanic. Curious how you go about telling who around you is legal or not, at your schools or elsewhere. Are you going around checking for I.D.s? If you are in a largely Hispanic community and you were able to deport all the illegal aliens, are you somehow under the impression the demographic at your schools would change?

17% of all Americans are now of Hispanic descent. In states like New Mexico, nearly 50% are Hispanic, legal American born citizens. Total number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. is estimated at somewhere around 4%. You think that if you your wishful thinking came true and all 4% of illegal immigrants were deported over night that your world would change back to whatever version you are wanting?

Thinking that way is what I would describe as "clueless."

Look. I am NOT for illegal immigration. I am for the proper manner in which to manage immigration in the manner that makes the most sense all considered, for all concerned, without going off the deep end. Without going the way of insulting ethnic groups or religions in the process. No need for that to get it right.

I am for what works and against what doesn't. That's all.

Also with regard to just how much a problem this is for this country, I have always been interested in that equation you keep going on about, but always folks like you only know what negatives or burdens illegal immigration brings -- real and imagined -- while apparently without any sense or knowledge about the positives.

Not that the positives make illegal immigration anything but illegal, but in terms of accurately measuring what sort of problem these people represent to American society, what I know tells me we have far more serious REAL problems to contend with. One perhaps is the shortage of necessary labor to do what typical non-Hispanic workers are willing to do, like working on our farms just for starters. We certainly need not insult all Hispanics, fellow Americans, by describing their family members who might be here illegally to find work as "parasites."

We can all do better than that...

Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you would deliberately aid and abet illegal aliens. How nice/sarcasm.

Check you homeowner's insurance policy. In my state, if you hire someone to work on your property that isn't licensed, bonded and insured and they get injured, your homeowner's policy won't cover that. If you think that "Pedro y Juan" won't sue you because they are illegals, think again. There are lots of bleeding heart groups that love illegals and would gladly help "Pedro y Juan" find a pro-bono lawyer to take their case. Suddenly, that cheap labor isn't so cheap, is it?

We gladly pay extra to have Americans and legal immigrants do work on our property. Unlike you, we don't aid and abet illegal immigration and aren't cheapskates.
My wife and I have been trying to remodel our home ever since buying it about four years ago...

We had quite a bit of crap to move from our old home to our new one, and I found myself in serious need of extra hands to help us move all that crap. I checked with a moving company, and by the time they were even willing to come give me an estimate on cost, I had to move on to plan B. I picked up a few guys waiting for free-lance work, hanging out at the local hardware store. I told them I needed help, and I would pay $20 per hour. They said okay. I didn't ask for I.D. Why should I?

I probably used 8 to 12 different guys to help us move by the time all was said and done on both ends. When we were unloading our stuff and moving some temporary furniture into an apartment, a bunch of my wife's jewelry spilled from a hanging bag that I didn't know was intermixed with her hanging clothes. Valuable jewelry/gold spilled onto the truck floor without me knowing. One by one these guys came out of the truck with hands full of this jewelry, handing it to me, and explaining it had fallen onto the floor of the truck.

Back to the remodeling, we have had electricians, plumbers, sheet rockers through licensed contractors here in the local area. Not a one of these guys has yet been other than Hispanic, and though I suspect they are all American citizens, again I don't ask for I.D.

What I do know is the work gets done fast, honestly, at a reasonable rate and in high quality manner.

I can also honestly say I've had some white guys, contractors, who did their best to rip us off. Had a white contractor redo our kitchen, through Home Depot -- a freaking disaster! Had to fight to get our money back through small claims court.

There's another side of the story in any case...

Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
BS....There are more than that, and they hold Jobs that Americans would have in many, many, more positions that what low level paying jobs you quote are. I don't need a "Poll" or some "Liberal Fake" Report thats smoke and mirrors. All I need to do is look around me in my own area and you can see who works where. You can't spin that.
You don't need a "poll" or some "Liberal Fake" report. All "alternative facts" according to you. Funny...

Okay, but what DO you have?

I am okay to consider anything reasonable, any worthy source of what numbers or statistics to be considered, but just your word or comment is simply not good enough. Right?

Be reasonable, provide justification, facts, sources to back up your notions. At least try. You might learn something...

Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 AM

Hey, but at least some don't resort to the immature Ignore feature when they also can't tolerate an opinion different from there's. I give credit for at least that to those people maybe willing to consider other than their preconceived notions in any case...

Old 03-23-2017, 02:38 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Apply for a visa to dig ditches? Lay cement? Pack chicken into cans for minimum wage? Good one!

Some have been here for years, packing that chicken, with kids, family, making a living such as it is, good enough for them, working in any case, not raping anyone or murdering anyone...

"The "deport them all" crowd are considered awfully militaristic and inhumane in some respects, mostly just impractical and unthinking, ultimately pretty well ignorant about all they fear or concern themselves with when it comes to immigrants, legal or illegal.

But hey, when you've got an axe to grind no matter the justification, and someone like Trump to lead the way, we end up "cutting our nose to spite our face." How about we go after real rapists and murderers instead?
Apparently locals will work those jobs. From NPR...
After Immigration Raid, Locals Line Up For Jobs

August 28, 20082:08 PM ET

Laura Conaway

Job applicants gather at the Howard Industries plant in Laurel, Miss., two days after an immigration raid.

Rogelio V. Solis/AP Photo/

Job seekers have been lining up at the Howard Industries electronics plant in Laurel, Miss., where federal agents on Monday arrested 595 suspected illegal immigrants. The workers came from several Central and South American nations — the list includes Brazil, El Salvador, Mexico and Peru — as well as Germany.

After Immigration Raid, Locals Line Up For Jobs : Planet ...

Old 03-23-2017, 05:23 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
After Immigration Raid, Locals Line Up For Jobs

August 28, 20082:08 PM ET

Laura Conaway

Job applicants gather at the Howard Industries plant in Laurel, Miss., two days after an immigration raid.

Rogelio V. Solis/AP Photo/

Job seekers have been lining up at the Howard Industries electronics plant in Laurel, Miss., where federal agents on Monday arrested 595 suspected illegal immigrants. The workers came from several Central and South American nations — the list includes Brazil, El Salvador, Mexico and Peru — as well as Germany.

Same thing happened when a meat packing place was raided awhile back. Americans lined up around the corner for those jobs. Yet the pro-illegals claim that illegal aliens are only doing jobs that Americans won't do.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

These are not the jobs I've been referring to...

Of course there are companies that purposely hire illegal workers to avoid paying higher wages that more typical average Americans are willing and wanting to do, like in this case with Howard Industries Electronics with union workers. I am not arguing there are no exceptions. Of course, there are always exceptions.

This is not a case of thousands picking fruits and vegetables in the fields, or a meat packing plant, or roofers, painters and all those other jobs on the list previously posted. Those are the jobs represented by the millions of illegal workers, not these 600 reported by a union representative. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies