Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Crime in NYC was already declining prior to when Giuliani took office in 1994, murders peaked in 1990
Not significantly. The significant drop took place after 1993. Look at how the murder rate only dropped from 2262 to 1927 between 1990 and 1993. But then it dropped a huge amount between 1993 and 1998, from 1927 all the way down to 629.

You will also notice most other violent crimes had their largest declines during that time period..

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-city.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
I'm literally in NYC as we speak. NYC has a crap ton of diversity and for the 99.9% everyone gets along. There are looooooots of immigrants and nearly every single block you can hear languages that are NOT English, yet almost 100% of the time I feel incredibly safe in NYC as opposed to say the slums in Philly or Baltimore. NYC is also insanely wealthy they don't have anywhere near the levels of poverty and incessant crime like we see in say Baltimore.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I'm literally in NYC as we speak. NYC has a crap ton of diversity and for the 99.9% everyone gets along. NYC is also insanely wealthy they don't have anywhere near the levels of poverty and incessant crime like we see in say Baltimore.
I ate at Carbone with my wife tonight. Best vodka sauce ever made! If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

Oh, and since this is the politics forum, the people at the table next to us said Obama ate there last night.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Crime in NYC was already declining prior to when Giuliani took office in 1994, murders peaked in 1990
How so?

New York Crime Rates 1960 - 2015

Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
The link you provided (which shows the entire metro area and not just NYC fwiw) shows the declines in the early 90's before Giuliani took office. The declines sharpened after Giuliani took office, no question about that, but the declines started prior.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:40 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The constant influx of immigrants brings it down. I'm sure there are many other reasons but this is a big one.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/2...nts-crime.html

FTR...

Legal and illegal immigrants are incarcerated at a rate twice that of the general population.

U.S. GAO - Criminal Alien Statistics: Information on Incarcerations, Arrests, and Costs

Last edited by momonkey; 03-12-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't know, having lived through it, I can tell you, it all took place under Giuliani. Maybe this stuff would have come to fruition under Dinkins and maybe it wouldn't. We will never know. You will notice, I didn't blame Dinkins. I only said that he was seen as being soft on crime, which I don't think many people would argue. Right or wrong, he was definitely seen that way. Why else do you think liberal NYC elected a dictatorial republican Mayor not once, but in a landslide the second time around, after the people of NY got to see what he was capable of.
Giuliani would take credit for the sun coming up if he could, I do give him credit for cleaning up some of the pan handlers around Penn Station, Museums and other government buildings but his impact is constantly overrated. He took action on non-violent crime but there are many things that go into the trend not the least of which is a health economy and the flow of money into new construction.

Violent crime has been on the decline since the 90's nationwide, in spite of what Trump says. I don't attribute NYC's decline to DeBlasio, Bloomberg or anyone else.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:52 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Stop and frisk, pro-active policing, and "profiling" that are no longer allowed. The crime rate is already on the rise.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
It's a combination of New York having a very limited gang culture, lots of police per square mile and strict gun laws both in New York and neighboring states. Illinois' strict gun laws are negated by the fact that the South Side of Chicago is only a couple miles from the Indiana border, making the influx of illegal guns incredibly easy. Most illegal guns in New York have to come all the way from Virginia.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Stop and frisk, pro-active policing, and "profiling" that are no longer allowed. The crime rate is already on the rise.
Yes, it is all due to agressive policing. Cops are every-fukkin-where in NYC. I'm yet to see a cop here on the street in Minneapolis where I moved last year.

The "Broken window" policing style was introduced under Gulliani and he made great strides in lowering crime rates considerably. There are still gangs and there are still drugs, but criminals are not coddled. Petty crimes are punished quickly and swiftly which sends the message that cops won't mess around and will come down on you even harder if the crime is more serious.

New mayor DeBlasio is a typical bleeding heart softie far left liberal. Under him, quality of life crimes started coming back, homeless everywhere, **** and **** all over the streets, people hassling people in subways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies