Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:28 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Yes, it is all due to agressive policing. Cops are every-fukkin-where in NYC. I'm yet to see a cop here on the street in Minneapolis where I moved last year.

The "Broken window" policing style was introduced under Gulliani and he made great strides in lowering crime rates considerably. There are still gangs and there are still drugs, but criminals are not coddled. Petty crimes are punished quickly and swiftly which sends the message that cops won't mess around and will come down on you even harder if the crime is more serious.

New mayor DeBlasio is a typical bleeding heart softie far left liberal. Under him, quality of life crimes started coming back, homeless everywhere, **** and **** all over the streets, people hassling people in subways.
Crime in NYC has continued to decline unde DeBlasio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Stop and frisk, pro-active policing, and "profiling" that are no longer allowed. The crime rate is already on the rise.
Starting to rise = record low crime??

New York City Had Record-Low Crime Rate in 2016

Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 AM

270 posts, read 198,470 times
1. Giuliani changed the game with tougher policing and "quality of life" rules (setting aside for the moment that he may have gone a little "too far" at times.
2. Gentrification under Bloomberg destabilized crime pockets in places like Bed-Stuy and Harlem where crime was previously rampant and "normalized."

Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Studies show that harsher sentencing does not deter crime. Many of the people who would have been at prime crime-committing age in the mid-to-late 90s were never born. Fewer unwanted kids = less crime.
Harsher sentencing does deter crime because it takes the criminals off the streets. Those guys in prison are not out there committing crimes. I have no doubt that abortion plays a role, but I think you're putting all the eggs in one basket there. It's a combination of things - Gen X being a small generation, baby boomers aging out, more abortions, increase in sentencing. We are seeing an increase again because the millennials are a bigger group than Gen X. Young people commit violent crimes. More young people, more violence.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's attributable to the Clinton crime bill, but I hear many today saying mass incarceration is akin to slavery in America. I recall people being really mad at the Clintons for that crime bill, and when Bill Clinton defended it as he should have, he was told by the geniuses that ran Hillary's campaign to walk it back and apologize.
It's the US Constitution that says it. The US Constitution says you can't enslave a person unless they are convicted of a crime. It does not take a Constitutional scholar to look at the tiny wages in US prison labor (what is it, 25 cents an hour sometimes?) and private businesses that profit and draw a line.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM

66 posts, read 39,404 times
Without having read the entire thread, two things come to mind - one that right wingers will like and liberals will hate the sound of, the other is the opposite. Stop and frisk and a heavy police presence - everywhere you go in nyc, there are cops. The murder rate in the 90's was in the 2000/year ballpark, and stop and frisk, tough on crime policing brought that down.

The other thing is gun control. The penalties for having an illegal gun in nyc are far more severe than in Chicago. And the bordering states aren't awash with guns like they are in Chicago (Indiana).

Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many from the Pocono region of PA would have no arguments with your theories:

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Crime_...o_Count-391897

Gangs find shelter in Pocono communities - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA

String of Violence for Pocono Mountain Regional Police | WNEP.com

Are the Poconos a safe place to live?

It is amazing at how fast the Pocono and other close areas of PA have gone down hill thanks to high crime resulting from an influx of transplants/commuters largely from New York and parts of NJ.
Yep. Allentown, Hazleton, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Reading. Don't be surprised to see some NYC criminals turn up in Upstate NY(btw, Buffalo is the most murderous city in NY state). Some criminals from NYC have done their own dirt in Vermont and Maine. Some gangs from the NYC Tri-State area have turned up as far west as Minneapolis.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Alot of people want to credit stop and frisk for the drop in crime. Crime was dropping rapidly before the Stop and Frisk policy started.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:06 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
Without having read the entire thread, two things come to mind - one that right wingers will like and liberals will hate the sound of, the other is the opposite. Stop and frisk and a heavy police presence - everywhere you go in nyc, there are cops. The murder rate in the 90's was in the 2000/year ballpark, and stop and frisk, tough on crime policing brought that down.

The other thing is gun control. The penalties for having an illegal gun in nyc are far more severe than in Chicago. And the bordering states aren't awash with guns like they are in Chicago (Indiana).
I'm a liberal, and you're half right: I think stop-and-frisk is abhorrent, but I also believe increased police presence is essential in reducing violence in high crime areas. The key word here is "presence". When police start focusing on drugs and quality-of-life and shoes, they become something of an occupying force. Just being there is enough to reduce violent crime. Engaging with the locals respectfully goes even further.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:09 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm a liberal, and you're half right: I think stop-and-frisk is abhorrent, but I also believe increased police presence is essential in reducing violence in high crime areas. The key word here is "presence". When police start focusing on drugs and quality-of-life and shoes, they become something of an occupying force. Just being there is enough to reduce violent crime. Engaging with the locals respectfully goes even further.
Good post - agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies