Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:08 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Yes, Whites and every other race..........racist.

I can view the clannish behavior of Blacks all day long.....this is natural behavior. Blacks can do it loudly and proudly...other races, not so much.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:00 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
All white people are not racist. However, white people, in general, do believe that they are superior to all others and have no desire to see any other group rise higher than they are. Most are highly invested in maintaining their position in the social and economic hierarchy.
Whether what you write is true or not, do you think this hierarchy will ever change?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Then why were whites so against Affirmative Action?
More divisive language encouraging hate crimes by targeting racial groups.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Whether what you write is true or not, do you think this hierarchy will ever change?
No way, but there are some that believe utopia is achievable, which is why they keep trying to shove propaganda down our throats. But it has an opposite effect. Take the video for example.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
It will depend on each individual and whether or not they believe that they are relegated to an assigned position on the totem pole.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Good points. So partially it is the mind's pre-wired self preservation mechanism working subconsciously. You can probably try to be the most non-racial, non prejudicial, we are all the same person out there. But when you are walking down that street in your scenario, your conscious mind will be telling you "walk through the black guys, to go across the street is racist" while your gut is telling you you will be safer crossing to the other side.

If this is considered racist, I doubt it will ever be eradicated from society. It would be defying 1000s of years of psyche evolution if that is what you believe in.
Exactly. And it goes far beyond race.

If you're going to hire a babysitter for your children, you're going to hire the girl.

I was listening to a guy telling a story about how he was sitting at a restaurant, and someone asked him to watch his laptop while he went to the restroom.

The guy telling the story was an older white gentleman, well-dressed, clean. Someone who looks safe, responsible, etc.

So, if you were in a restaurant, or at fast-food, and you needed to use the restroom. What kind of person might you trust? What about a person makes them feel "safe"?

To a liberal, everyone is equally safe(unless you have hard evidence to the contrary). And if you make assumptions about people based on their appearance(including race/ethnicity/religion/gender/age/etc), you're a racist, or a bigot, or just an evil person.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:12 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Exactly. And it goes far beyond race.

If you're going to hire a babysitter for your children, you're going to hire the girl.

I was listening to a guy telling a story about how he was sitting at a restaurant, and someone asked him to watch his laptop while he went to the restroom.

The guy telling the story was an older white gentleman, well-dressed, clean. Someone who looks safe, responsible, etc.

So, if you were in a restaurant, or at fast-food, and you needed to use the restroom. What kind of person might you trust? What about a person makes them feel "safe"?

To a liberal, everyone is equally safe(unless you have hard evidence to the contrary). And if you make assumptions about people based on their appearance(including race/ethnicity/religion/gender/age/etc), you're a racist, or a bigot, or just an evil person.
Lots of assumptions here. If I had children and was going to hire a babysitter, it would be someone I know personally, most likely an adult or a college student. I knew plenty of girls when I was in high school who had their boyfriends over when they babysat, so if the idea is to keep boys away from the kids, you can forget it, unless the sitter is someone you know from personal experience you can trust, in which case gender shouldn't matter (not that it ought to, anyway...do you really think all boys and men are child molesters?)

I probably wouldn't take my laptop to a restaurant in the first place, but if I did, I wouldn't ask a stranger to watch it, regardless of their appearance. I would fold it up and take it with me, just like my handbag. At a coffee place, I'd ask the barista if I could stash it behind the counter. I wouldn't be comfortable being asked to watch someone else's laptop, either. What if someone walked by a spilled a drink on it, or what if the place got robbed? Is it then my responsibility to protect the laptop or pay for the damage? No thanks.

I know perfectly well not everyone is equally safe. I just think that appearance is a poor measure of safety. Ever hear of white collar crime, or of Ted Bundy? He was white, well-dressed, charming...an outwardly very "respectable" young man. That is part of why he was able to victimize and kill so many unsuspecting young women: he looked like the kind of person they had been told all their lives they could trust.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
It is racist, because you are making assumptions about someone, based on their race.

If I was to turn it around and say, "Black people are bad at math". Who wouldn't yell at me for being racist/bigoted/hateful/etc?

And if you then acted out, in the real world, something based on your racial assumptions. Lets pretend for a moment that you were in gym class in high-school, and you had to "pick your team" from a random group of people.

Lets say the team was for basketball, and you chose all the black guys for your team, on the assumption that they were probably better at basketball than the Asian guys, would that not be racist? Or at the very least, discriminatory and prejudicial?

I said, everyone is racist, if racism is defined as having "racial-biases".

Lets pretend you were walking down a street a night. About 100 feet away there are a group of young black men. On the other side of the street, there is another group of young Asian men.

If you think you would be safer walking through the group of Asian men, than the group of black men, people would call you racist.
My understanding is that racism is racial prejudice combined with racial power, which is something white people automatically have in most instances, and people of color do not (at least in the United States.) This would generally mean that by definition, white people are racist whereas people of color cannot be.

I think what people don't realize about this definition is that it's not an all or nothing game. Most white people disagree with the KKK, for example. It's not about being a racist or not, as it's some sort of label with an arbitrary level of racial prejudices that determines whether you are or not. Rather, it's about examining your racial prejudices and seeing how they affect your life, and society at large.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I hate these race threads.
Then why participate?

I agree that discussions about race can get a little tense, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth having. The point is to try to put yourself in the other person's shoes for a moment, and that can only be accomplished by listening.

I am a white woman. I will never have the experience of being anyone else. The only way for me to learn about what it means to be black or Asian or Hispanic is to listen to those who are, and then take those words at face value, rather than to assume that it's all paranoia or hatred of my whiteness simply because it exists.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,624 times
NO !!!!!! There is no such thing as "All" people being any such things. People are individuals. Regardless of skin tone, there are individuals who just don't particular like other individuals.

Read and Think

Perspective and Context Matters to truly make a statement that has the ability to discern between what is racism and what is people simply having personality disagreements, Character variations of difference and lifestyle differences.

No one gets more than 24hrs a Day and Everyone gets their time to live and no one gets forever, and NO ONE takes anything from this earth. "We have the opportunity to communicate, relates,to share and care... in our living experiences.
Why waste it trying to be something more than human and trying to make others less than human.

I'd say the big issue is, be cautious of desperate people, be very careful with greedy people, and keep one's distance from people whom are driven by Avarice. Protect with cautions to avoid harm, and manages ones self so as not to harm others.
Don't let Pretty Blind You, and Don't let Unattractiveness become a deterrent from learning of and about others. Physical beauty does not mean one is honest or true in heart, and a shapely body is nothing more than a shapely body...

Then .... people might be able to actually see and get to know whom another is.
(If you need a blood transfusion, will prejudice bring you to refuse the blood from another ethnicity or ask about the character or the looks of the person the blood is being donated from?)

as to things people may not like: No one in their right mind, takes delight in watching others or another take a crap....

Last edited by Chance and Change; 03-13-2017 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies