Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
The diagram is a joke. To even consider CNN as neutral bias is enough said and say no more in that regard. As a conservative I can say Fox news is partial bias . What is wrong with Liberals, can they not own up to anything without a scratch and cat fight over it. Just be honest and nothing wrong with it in the slightest. CNN is full on anti conservative bias. Admit it, and enough of the propaganda.
Global corporatists" who own the major media companies. We have to remember that the unpopularity of the liberal and mainstream media was a part of Trump's election.

Last edited by petch751; 03-13-2017 at 12:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
PBS, Reuters, AP, NPR - news only, no opinion shows on PBS and NPR.

I also enjoy watching the round tables on Face the Nation and such.
Yeah, I really enjoy listening to NPR in the car, but as soon as the opinion shows come on, I change the channel.

The opinion pieces are overwhelmingly liberal and elitist.

PBS has some good stuff, C-Span. The BBC/Reuters is the equivalent of NPR.

I don't really watch TV, because 90% of it is garbage, regardless of the channel. I mostly watch videos on Realclearpolitics. And then check places like here, and 4chan /pol/.

You have to be able to wade through the BS though. Because everywhere you go, you're bombarded with it.

I know enough about "how things work", that I can spot BS pretty easily. But a lot of people I know are pretty gullible. I'm constantly having to "deprogram" them after they read or heard something.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I think maybe C-SPAN may not be too bad. But NPR and BBC have slanted to the left in their tone and what they cover.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Drudge Reports
Like I want to go there and read a headline such as this:
The Ivanka Trump effect: Women flock to plastic surgeons to copy blonde bombshell's looks

Old 03-13-2017, 12:24 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Fortunately, I learned how to read when I was a boy, so I'm able to take advantage of unlimited amounts of news online and in print. I feel bad for people here who can't read and depend on the TV to give them the news.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Christian science monitor. Without a doubt some of the best reporting I read. And not religion based near as I can tell.

Other then that...I ppay attention to both sides of it, investigate, and find out which is lying the most. But it DOES take checking sometime, and im not perfect at it. Other then that I debate with folks where the majority point of view is held by people I disagree with. That occasionally helps as well.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:26 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Some are certainly better than others, but knowing no news is totally objective, I've always made it a point to watch liberal and conservative media, along with major networks. But it's reached the point that CNN, Fox News, MSNBC anchors and guests are so dominated with hyperbole and predictable partisanship that I can't watch them - for now at least. There's nothing to learn there! They just pander to folks who want nothing more than to reinforce what they already believe.

ABC, NBC & CBS are more neutral, but not totally, and they don't offer news 24/7 - thank goodness. Turns out 24/7 news was/is a bad idea IMO.

Needless to say I don't watch or listen to any of the many obviously opinion or biased sources and their blissfully ignorant audiences (both sides). Also in existence only to pander to folks who want nothing more than to reinforce what they already believe.

So my news MO now is tune out Trump where possible (even though I'm a lifelong center right conservative), focus more on what actually happens instead of hollow words, and watch sources that try to remain neutral or openly provide both sides views.
  • PBS Evening News tries to be neutral, though PBS often goes (way) left in some other programming.
  • The Charlie Rose show seems to offer both sides views on political issues, usually without dwelling on the hyperbole or Trump shooting himself in the foot every other day.
Are there other balanced or neutral sources with reasoned, thoughtful reporting in these days of proliferating fake news?

Typical liberal question, deals with absolutes, no concept of degrees of objectivity. Academic theory either objective or not. Reality bites academic theory in the butt everytime.

Bias is expected in the media. We do not expect a government propaganda machine as we have seen support the dems and obama.

Word games weaponized for political advantage. Easier to group the good with the bad.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
This is fairly accurate, tho I believe CNN to be "skews liberal," not "minimal bias."

Really! Did you created this yourself? Thanks for letting me laugh and see how dumb this cartoon image is.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I read Reuters and the BBC online. Lately read CBS too. TV news is a waste of time.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
I don't watch American news sources to be informed. I watch them for entertainment. If I want to be informed, I'll refer to credible non-American sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies