Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,765,524 times

Advertisements

I was born into a family that always voted for the best people they were given.

They voted for

JFK only to be screwed by Johnson
Nixon only to be screwed by Nixon
Reagan only to be screwed by Bush Sr.
GWB only to be screwed by GWB because of Bush Sr. and Chaney

Now, I am a dues paying Libertarian because being screwed by Pubs and Dems equally is no longer acceptable.

The one thing I can say is that Trump is more like a moderate Dem than an establishment Dem or Pub. Leaving me with a shoestring of hope for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 05:23 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,063,570 times
I make a point never to vote strategically. My vote goes to the party who's platform agrees most with my beliefs. Lately it's been Ontario and Federal Green Parties.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,074,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I make a point never to vote strategically. My vote goes to the party who's platform agrees most with my beliefs. Lately it's been Ontario and Federal Green Parties.
I live in area that has always been left -even if I were to vote outside of that, it would take a significant swing to change. So, when I vote - I concentrate more on my Senate vote. I don't like a majority in both houses - regardless of the party in power.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM

25,780 posts, read 21,935,064 times
Of course I know what the other side believes. I started out in 1972 as a Democrat, voted for McGovern. Have voted Democratic, couple of 3rd parties and Republican over the years. This election was an easy one, Trump for sure as the Dems ran a candidate that I wouldn't vote for if my life depended on it, and I felt like my life depended on her not being elected!

Younger people tend to be swayed by their groups, by the time one gets older, they are thinking for themselves and weighing all the options.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,051,674 times
From age 15 to 20 I was a Republican because that is what my parents were.

From age 21 to 28 I was a Democrat because that is what the electrical union (IBEW) said was best for me and my career in the union.

From age 29 to 31 I pondered things, read and paid more attention not claiming an allegiance of any kind.

From age 32 to 45 (current day) I have been a conservative Republican because I finally discovered common sense as it pertains to how things should be run so as not to become a 3rd world country. This last epiphany happened organically through life experiences.

Last edited by Texas Minded; 03-13-2017 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM

52,004 posts, read 52,451,085 times
We live in sound bite times now. Many people don't research things on their own, but just gobble up the soundbites, most of the time the soundbites and article headlines are heavily liberal based and of course are completely biased with some media outlets. It happens on the other side a bit too. You almost need to cross reference a few outfits to get a more informed understanding and people should listen more to their own thoughts and not put as much weight in others.

You got the Rachael Maddox's and the Hannity's of the world and half the time the truth is some version of either of those people's opinions.

In terms of what party to side with, both of them suck majorly, I think I went independent a couple years ago, I'll have to double check because I was registered as a republican in the past.

I find the dems are a little more wacky then the repugs in my opinion, but neither one floats my boat because I can find lots of fault with both.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,273,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm proud to be an independent and mostly a centrist who doesn't pledge allegiance to any political party. I can find something to agree with (or disagree with) in any political platform.
This!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,709,772 times
I figured out years ago that both Democrats and Republicans are just nuts. Closest thing to my viewpoint is Libertarian, but I don't think it's a good idea to "join the team" for any party. I'll register as a Libertarian whenever it's possible in Illinois because their point of view needs a bigger voice and more numbers. It won't stop me from voting for another party's candidate if I believe that candidate is the best option for America.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:14 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,024,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I haven't 'joined' a team yet. I became an American in 2008 and with each election I weigh the most pressing issues and vote based on that.

Yeah I tend to lean socially liberal but I find most of my 'conservative' friends do too so you can't label me a liberal.

I feel the same. Socially I think we should let people be but it should never be required to accept and condone what people do. That's one of the major places the left loses me.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,273,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I figured out years ago that both Democrats and Republicans are just nuts. Closest thing to my viewpoint is Libertarian, but I don't think it's a good idea to "join the team" for any party. I'll register as a Libertarian whenever it's possible in Illinois because their point of view needs a bigger voice and more numbers. It won't stop me from voting for another party's candidate if I believe that candidate is the best option for America.
And also this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies