Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Of course Reagan and Bush Sr. screwed the American worker. They were Republicans. That's what Republicans do.

The Democrats were the party that represented American workers, but that ended with Bill Clinton (if not before).
I don't agree. World GDP has more than doubled in twenty years with most of that growth going away from traditionally developed nations. These developing countries are creating their own industries and manufacturing like we did. Eventually we will reach an equilibrium, but supply side policies just exacerbates the issue. With so much growth, US companies want to sell to these new customers which means setting up manufacturing closer to where their customers are and selling products that they can afford. Technology has made developed nations with skilled and educated workforce more cost effective, but alas.... America doesn't follow the German model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Regan was never POTUS.

Reagan was.

spelling must be one of those 21st century skills some folks lack.
LOL. A spelling error..... I guess you can't deny that Trump let Wall St in his administration just like Clinton would have. Deflection noted.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The reasons they don't make sense to you is because you think black vs white, no in between.

I was born and raised in lower middle class but got out. I see how people in the middle class bust their butts to make ends meet and since people in the MC don't understand a lot, they end up putting themselves in debt (rat trap). On the other hand, the poor, who care only about what they can get having no concern who is working to pay for it, don't understand that the middle class uses debt to support their lifestyles so they demand more because they want the middle class lifestyle.

For the middle class, the first step in climbing out of the rat race is to understand terminology. Once you understand terminology of basic finance then you know when someone is selling you a bunch of crap. I'll give you an example. When Obama and Democrats used income as a measure of wealth. High income is not wealth. And the big banks have their hands in it as well but it's also partly the MC's fault too. They did not educate themselves and thought they were getting a great deal.

The middle class must build their nest egg but to do that your income must be above and beyond your expenses. The catch is, as you build your income, you climb into higher tax brackets. Two steps forward, government pushes you back. It increases the time needed to build a decent investment account. As it stands today, many don't have any hope of ever getting to retire. And with government constantly wanting to dig into the middle classes wallet using the poor as their excuse, it is even harder.
For someone who accuses me of seeing only black and white, with no nuance (something anyone who actually knows me would tell you is absolutely not the case), you seem to be making an awful lot of blanket statements yourself.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
For someone who accuses me of seeing only black and white, with no nuance (something anyone who actually knows me would tell you is absolutely not the case), you seem to be making an awful lot of blanket statements yourself.
Ok feel better? So what's your take on this?

Quote:
I was born and raised in lower middle class but got out. The middle class bust their butts to make ends meet and since people in the MC don't understand a lot, they end up putting themselves in debt (rat trap). On the other hand, the poor, who care only about what they can get having no concern who is working to pay for it, don't understand that the middle class uses debt to support their lifestyles so they demand more because they want the middle class lifestyle.

For the middle class, the first step in climbing out of the rat race is to understand terminology. Once you understand terminology of basic finance then you know when someone is selling you a bunch of crap. Example. Obama and Democrats used income as a measure of wealth. High income is not wealth. And the big banks have their hands in it as well but it's also partly the MC's fault too. They are not educated in basic finance and because of that were easy targets. Knowledge is power.

The middle class must build their nest egg but to do that income must exceed expenses. Reducing expenses is the best way, but you can increase your income (or do both). The catch is, ..as you build your income, you climb into higher tax brackets. Two steps forward, government pushes you back, increasing the time needed to build a decent investment account. As it stands today, many don't have any hope of ever getting to retire. And with government constantly wanting to dig deeper into their wallets, using the poor as their excuse and of course are in support of the government grab even though they only get the bones.

Government can not legislate your prosperity but Democrats have convinced the masses vote for them and they will. It's a lie.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Yep, demand, created by people who have money to spend. Welfare only goes so far you know. I had a good laugh when Nancy Pelosi said that welfare was an economic stimulant LOL.
To the extent that those dollars remain in circulation, she is correct. When someone at the grocery store pays with SNAP, do you think that means the grocer gave the food away? They got paid for it, and that money helped them to pay the rent, utility companies, and their employees.

Disclaimer: I am not inviting, nor will I engage in, an argument about whether or not food stamps are a good thing in the context of this conversation. That is a whole other discussion.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
To the extent that those dollars remain in circulation, she is correct. When someone at the grocery store pays with SNAP, do you think that means the grocer gave the food away? They got paid for it, and that money helped them to pay the rent, utility companies, and their employees.

Disclaimer: I am not inviting, nor will I engage in, an argument about whether or not food stamps are a good thing in the context of this conversation. That is a whole other discussion.
uhm, food stamps is money that was taken from someone else who worked to earn it. They could spend it too.

Welfare in any form including food stamps is redistribution of money. It is government forcibly taking money from the person worked to earn the money and giving it to another who didn't work for it. The person who worked to earn the money can spend it too, that money would be in circulation spent by the person who worked to earn it.

Food stamps is NOT an economic stimulus.

Last edited by petch751; 03-13-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
uhm, food stamps is money that was taken from someone else who worked to earn it. They could spend it too.

bingo.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Ok feel better? So what's your take on this?
I think getting deeply in debt is a mistake, for anyone. Beyond that, I stand by what I said: you are generalizing far too much about what "the middle class" and "the poor" do and believe, as if they are all the same, with the same beliefs, motivations, and circumstances.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So in other words, you can't counter a single point they made?
I did actually counter it back on the first page....

Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:

Welfare in any form including food stamps is redistribution of money. It is government forcibly taking money from the person worked to earn the money and giving it to another who didn't work for it. The person who worked to earn the money can spend it too.

Food stamps is NOT an economic stimulus.
But with no redistribution, those poor, who probably can't get a job anyways, will either turn to crime or starve. Welfare is better than those alternatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies