Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's real and not some bias.

The math competitions in my area would often end with my kid being the only "white kid" in the top tier of the competition with the rest being the kids of tech workers from India, Pakistan and China that work for companies like Cerner or Garmin etc. in the area.

Has nothing to do with race, just basic cherry picking of the top 1% from other countries with a billion or so people.

As some have correctly noted, this is the benefit of LEGAL SELECTIVE IMMIGRATION and I 100% support it.
I don't doubt the fact that many of the top student performers in math and science (and spelling!) in America are the children of immigrants. This has been demonstrated over and over. But the fact that this particular competition produced 52% girls as finalists is a red flag indicating that the selections may have been political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 07:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Children of legal immigrants like most Americans here.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 PM

381 posts, read 177,145 times
Pretty cool. I've seen first-hand the effort, time and money Asian parents put into their kids so this is not surprising; has more to do with what is valued within the community rather than superior intelligence. They put their kids in programs like Kumon as well. On the other hand, these communities in the U.S. also have the money and resources to put their kids into great schools and extra help like Kumon that many others don't...that's a big advantage. I knew a girl from a wealthy family who could afford to hire private LSAT tutors for her to the tune of $1000 or so...her test score went up and she got a 100% scholarship into one of the top law schools. Not everyone can afford these kind of resources which is sad because there are many kids with potential who can actually benefit from these.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 787,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
For a slightly different take, Here's a thought-provoking letter published in today's Wall Street Journal:

Treasured American Values Are Slipping Away

The fact that 83% of last year’s science competition finalists were the children of immigrants points more to the collapse of America’s education culture than the skills of immigrants’ children.

As the son of an immigrant, I am proud to see the children of immigrants do well. But the fact that 83% of last year’s science competition finalists were the children of immigrants points more to the collapse of America’s education culture than the skills of immigrants’ children. The values that Mr. Anderson says deliver outstanding results for immigrants’ children—perseverance, independence, a love of learning and interest in innovation—used to be common American values that all of our families treasured. Tragically, today we have replaced those critical values with such things as therapy puppies and “safe zones” that shield our kids from getting their feelings hurt in competition.

American excellence used to be based on the concept of everybody reaching up to grab the brass ring. Now our schools are based on bending down to the lowest common denominator to make everybody happy. The children of immigrants have the blessing of not being contaminated by this decline in our culture. Immigrant parents presumably heed Rousseau’s warning that “the surest way to make your child unhappy is to accustom him to get everything he wants.”
I think it is less that if the children of immigrants are attending the same schools as the other children in America are.

India has a large problem with illiteracy. A larger problem than Brazil has. But poor Indians, Pakistani, and Nigerians rarely move to the United States. They come to the US from the middle-classes and upper-classes.

But I do think it is a matter of cultural differences. I kind of had a discussion with an Indian teacher of mine from India. In the conversation was a young Pakistani man that was a student like me. This conversation took place some years ago.

There is strong direction given in Indian families by the parents when they come here to the US. They just don't throw their children in school and tell them to swim and find their way. Plus, they come here to the US in a foreign land to see their children succeed.

The white middle-class of Milwaukee never had the attributes you give. They were often blue collar workers and assumed a person was either born talented in math or art or learning a second language or changing oil in a car or they were not.

Wealthy Americans typically only spoke and read in one language and when I was growing up few of them ever left the country. But the young kids in the Brazilian upper-classes in Brazil were different. They spoke and read in two languages if not three or four. They typically traveled Europe by at least their twenties. F

So, different cultures.

But in a democratic sense of education the US has a far better culture of education. By democratic sense I mean how well a nation accomplishes sending all its children and teenagers to school and graduates them. In the case of American schools you also have to ask how many of them they graduate that are literate or how well they can read if they are literate.

I really don't think Democrats or Republicans put forth the best conceptions of cultures of education. At least in terms of how to produce these overachievers in the sciences and math like the kids from Indian and Chinese families in the US. Although, I suspect kids from generations of Americans probably overachieve in the visual arts, music, poetry, film, probably even in auto shop.

Americans underestimate the propelling power of community and family environments. This is particularly true of middle-class and poor Americans. Only a tiny fraction in those groups get it. The parents of the Williams sisters got it. The father and uncles of Floyd Mayweather got it. And the children of Indian parents, the children that become science stars, were directed by parents that pushed them and put them in the hands of the best teachers, not so unlike the Williams sisters and Floyd Mayweather.

No one that becomes great even among the best only puts in five hours a week in their field. It's the American middle-class and poor that think they do. Because they are taught, have drilled in their head, people are born great. It's all in their genes.

At the college level some of these Asian families, certain ethnicities of them, have cultures in which the whole family works to support one son through college and medical school. That one son never works outside of school. His schooling, his studying outside of class is his work. His brother and sister are told by mother and father to work their blue collar jobs, give money to their brother in college whenever he needs it. And in turn that son and brother is expected to pull the rest of the family up once he becomes a doctor or successful. The whole family places great hope in him and he carried a heavy burden and sense of responsibility.

This is in total contrast to the Republican conception of college in which students should work full time jobs and school is like part time work. A culture where everyone is an individual.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't doubt the fact that many of the top student performers in math and science (and spelling!) in America are the children of immigrants. This has been demonstrated over and over. But the fact that this particular competition produced 52% girls as finalists is a red flag indicating that the selections may have been political.
Are you a high school science teacher involved in these types of science fairs?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 AM

Double

Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Are you a high school science teacher involved in these types of science fairs?
No, I'm just someone who is aware of the data indicating that the pool of people occupying the far right tail of the bell curve for aptitude and achievement in math and science are overwhelmingly male.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No, I'm just someone who is aware of the data indicating that the pool of people occupying the far right tail of the bell curve for aptitude and achievement in math and science are overwhelmingly male.
Given that this aptitude is not fixed (i.e., spatial IQ can be improved with practice) it should not be a surprise if the daughters of STEM workers, who do not subscribe to societal gender role expectations, excel in the sciences. They likely have more opportunity for exposure.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
How did the illegals from Mexico score?

Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did you note the link also reported a poll which showed 30% of Republican primary voters would bomb the fictional city from Disney’s Aladdin?
Did you note that 30% is less than 44%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies