Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Classic Keynesian economics is not really mainstream thought anymore. The truth is Republicans since Reagan have been flogging pseudo-economics. Things like Supply-side economic were correctly describe as voodoo economics.

In the last recession we used both fiscal and monetary stimulation to turn around the economy. That's a blend of Monetary and Keynesian philosophy.
The recession was Keynesian economics at play. Whether you can directly link it to the recovery is a different story. But the stimulus package is a Keynesian fundamental idea, to increase aggregate demand in times of economic contraction to stabilize output (GDP).

It was supported with various programs to stabilize output such as unemployment insurance, help for the needy, etc..

Keynesian is still mainstream and was brought back to life by the recession. Now economists are calling the modern economic thought "New Keynesian".

I don't know what "monetary" philosophy you're talking about. There's no such thing.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
If you think accumulating 20 trillion dollars in debt is great. Well I guess Obama supporters are hopeless!!!
Only $10T of that was under Obama's presidency, and the debt doesn't matter, since realistically it's never going to be paid anyways. Final point, government debt in a country that issues it's own currency is nothing like household debt

Old 03-14-2017, 08:02 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Hmmm...I really wonder who was playing as Putin's puppet?

While Hillary Clinton’s State Department was one of eight agencies to review and sign off on the transfer of 20 percent of U.S. uranium to Russia — then-Secretary of State Clinton herself was the only agency head whose family foundation received $145 million in donations from multiple people connected to the uranium deal, as reported by the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...pany.html?_r=2
I have a bottom line question for people flogging this uranium deal as something important, which it isn't. Where is the uranium today?

I'll help you. Still in the good old U S of A. It didn't go to Russia, it stayed here. We still control it. Russiia can't export it without our permission.

So who came out on top -- Russia or the US?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Here's a relevant FACT you somehow omitted, even though it's THE single most important factor in causing everything on your pessimistic little "glass half empty" list above:

The GOP's tax cuts/trickle-down/deregulation policies led directly to the 2008 Great Recession. It has proven to be a tough one to recover from. But Obama did a good job, even though the Pub congress did everything in its power to torpedo the recovery.

Now the GOP owns all aspects of America.

Let's see how these rugged individualists perform.

Nonsense-

tax cuts stimulate the economy.

The factors that led to the recession were multiple. However, the "eye of the storm" was the subprime mortgage toxic assets that were accumulated in the banking industry due to:

1. federal policy which eliminated "red lining"
2. mandates to fannie and Freddie to make home loans to unqualified buyers
3. elimination (through Clinton) of banking industry regulations

Liberal policy, in an effort to be "altruistic", nearly destroyed the economy in 2008.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Hey...Mr. Potato head...good morning
You started a thread challenging posters by asking how our standard of living improved under President Obama. When a number of posters stepped up and accepted your challenge you changed your argument to the ACA, the national debt or any other straw you could grasp at. And then of course we have the misspell excused as a typo which fooled nobody. While others improved their standard of living as we got out of the recession you somehow managed to struggle.

Given all of this I'm not sure you are in the position to insulting and questioning the intelligence of other posters.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Nonsense-

tax cuts stimulate the economy.

The factors that led to the recession were multiple. However, the "eye of the storm" was the subprime mortgage toxic assets that were accumulated in the banking industry due to:

1. federal policy which eliminated "red lining"
2. mandates to fannie and Freddie to make home loans to unqualified buyers
3. elimination (through Clinton) of banking industry regulations

Liberal policy, in an effort to be "altruistic", nearly destroyed the economy in 2008.
Want to be proven wrong? Take a macroeconomics course.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Because he sure didn't raise my standard of living. As matter of fact I don't know of anyone that said Obama raised their standard of living. So I'm still scratching my head why he's still favored by many...I just don't get it...
For such an anti-Obama person, you sure can't keep him out of your mind, can you?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Hmmm...I really wonder who was playing as Putin's puppet?

While Hillary Clinton’s State Department was one of eight agencies to review and sign off on the transfer of 20 percent of U.S. uranium to Russia — then-Secretary of State Clinton herself was the only agency head whose family foundation received $145 million in donations from multiple people connected to the uranium deal, as reported by the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/u...pany.html?_r=2
I thought NYT was fake news?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
The recession was Keynesian economics at play. Whether you can directly link it to the recovery is a different story. But the stimulus package is a Keynesian fundamental idea, to increase aggregate demand in times of economic contraction to stabilize output (GDP).

It was supported with various programs to stabilize output such as unemployment insurance, help for the needy, etc..

Keynesian is still mainstream and was brought back to life by the recession. Now economists are calling the modern economic thought "New Keynesian".

I don't know what "monetary" philosophy you're talking about. There's no such thing.
Check the Federal Reserve and current interest rates.

When was the last time you heard an economist talk about a wage price spiral or the Philip's Curve? Classic Keynesian philosophy has been replaced. We still use fiscal stimulation, but we no longer try to fine tune the economy with fiscal policy, only monetary policy.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Check the Federal Reserve and current interest rates.

When was the last time you heard an economist talk about a wage price spiral or the Philip's Curve? Classic Keynesian philosophy has been replaced. We still use fiscal stimulation, but we no longer try to fine tune the economy with fiscal policy, only monetary policy.
Are you speaking of MMT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies