Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think the young subsidize us old bastards too much already. It looks like I will continue to work for corporate America until I am 63.5.
You are lucky. I will be that old geezer in the blue vest giving you your shopping cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This is real freedom right there for the elderly. According to the CBO, headed by a republican, a 64-year old has to pay $14 600 for insurance under Trumpcare. Today, he or she pays $1700 on average. The young healthy generations are compelled to subsidize the elderly under the current mandate system. Thats what insurance is. The healthy subsidize the sick. Just like the drivers with no accidents subsidize the ones who do get into accidents.

Trumpcare would devastate rural, elderly America. Thats freedom right there.

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/841405527116656640
Don't forget the $7,150 AFFORDABLE out of pocket under the ACA per person. - https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...-oop-caps.aspx total for your loving person now is $8,950.

Assuming of course the CBO mismanaged it's estimate per Obmamacare, it is likely a Trumpcare premium of $0 with a copay of $0 will apply to our imaginary friend, just a minor rounding error by our partisan CBO.

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The thing is, the baby boomers are a massive demographic that's going to be needing healthcare, and who are going to be priced out of healthcare.

The legislation has to be about cutting costs off at the knees. Either insurance companies and the healthcare industry are going to take a massive hit, or we're talking about leaving an entire generation to die.

That's the bald truth.
This bill doesn't do that though. It kind of just exacerbates the problems with Obamacare. I don't see how this bill does anything but make insurance more expensive for everybody. If this is the best the congressional GOP can come up with, maybe trump should release his own bill.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
I'm fine with hospitals turning people away, or if they choose to treat someone they have to eat the costs, not the taxpayer.

The only people I want my tax dollars to go towards helping are those who gave something to their country, like veterans. Too many poor people in this country are basically parasites.
Fortunately the majority of us disagree with letting people die in the streets. Like it or not you are part of society and there will always be poor people, especially as AI takes over more jobs and things just get weirder. We may have to pay people just for existing.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:08 PM

416 posts, read 253,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
And how would that work? You want to tattoo medical statuses on people's forehead? In a car accident, its a life or death situation. Its impossible to go look for people's medical status at that point. "they have to eat the costs"? What does that mean? If they cant pay, everyone pays. Your third world solution is not an option. No person with an iota of compassion or sanity believe that could work.
It can work fine.

Homeless people are fairly easily identifiable. Everyone else has some assets that can be seized if they don't pay. Their paychecks can be garnished. Etc.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Fortunately the majority of us disagree with letting people die in the streets. Like it or not you are part of society and there will always be poor people, especially as AI takes over more jobs and things just get weirder. We may have to pay people just for existing.
The interesting thing is that the people who hate the poor are often working stiffs themselves, just scraping by and an accident would totally devastate their livelihood and they'll be out on the streets themselves.

Instead of voting for people who serve the people, they vote for puppets of big money who serve the billionaire class.

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Bad example. I happen to be 64 years old, and spent over $5,000 last year on healthcare costs with my employer plan. Early 60s are typically the highest earning years, and that's the case for me. Someone making only $26,500 regardless of their age would be getting a large subsidy under Obamacare, though one would expect the 64 year-old to have more medical needs than a 25 year-old. The median American male age 55-64 had an income of $53,508, more than double the example used. For women, it was still much higher at $41,080. That was 2014 data, likely higher now. It's (64) also an interesting age to use, since it's only one year before they would go onto medicare. I'd be more concerned for the people in their 50s on low income.

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...last-ye-2.aspx

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
I'm fine with hospitals turning people away, or if they choose to treat someone they have to eat the costs, not the taxpayer.

The only people I want my tax dollars to go towards helping are those who gave something to their country, like veterans. Too many poor people in this country are basically parasites.
At least he admits it. Poor people can go die. Thumbs up. I hate the attitude but at least Iguana says it clearly. I salute Iguana. No that is not sarcasm. Iguana says what too many on the right here wont.

Too many people here say no tax payer dollars for the poor but they will get care magically because the market will bring prices down.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I believe that you also insisted this was true too when responding to one of my posts. I take note that you avoid it now. (start with post 5)

Could Michigan and Pennsylvania flip red this November?
News flash, the election is over Trump won.

Do you care to discuss the actual topic of this thread or do you want to discuss elections? There is a subforum for that at the top of the page.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:11 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Don't worry, Trump will bring jobs back so the 64-yr-old can continue to work until he/she dies.

Make America Great Depression Again!

yea looking at what p/t jobs I will need after retire-- Costa Rica!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies