Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,044,412 times

Advertisements

With democrats fearing the next supreme court nominee, we all know that Gorsuch will be voted in as the next supreme court justice.

How soon before some court decisions are swung to the right due to a 5-4 majority due to Gorsuch's arrival?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 PM

16,756 posts, read 8,190,870 times
I think the POTUS and his EO's will be filling the docket of the SCOTUS so not much will make it to the court.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,150,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
How soon before some court decisions are swung to the right due to a 5-4 majority due to Gorsuch's arrival?
While his personal views tend to be more on the right, his opinion on case matters tends to be more on the literal-interpretation side. Which, with the current 4-4 split is, imo, a good thing. Four judges with conservative bias, four judges with liberal bias. One judge capable of setting aside personal bias to interpret the Constitution as-is.

Means that some decisions from the Supreme Court will appear more liberal while others will be more conservative... which is really best in the long run.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,724,210 times
The court won't be fundamentally different from the one that allowed Obamacare to stand and legalized same sex marriage. It isn't like Gorsuch is replacing a liberal justice.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,628,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
With democrats fearing the next supreme court nominee, we all know that Gorsuch will be voted in as the next supreme court justice.

I thought republicans didn't like activist judges? Or it is ok, when it is the "right activism"?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,568,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I think the POTUS and his EO's will be filling the docket of the SCOTUS so not much will make it to the court.
And some of those executive orders, such as the travel ban, may cause the Democrats in the Senate to mount heavy opposition and obstruction to Gorsuch's confirmation. If he were to swing the court to the right, those kinds of orders might be upheld, after being blocked by lower courts. So they would resist letting him onto the court as long as possible. And with the fallout of some republican senators that Trump is causing, who knows if they will be able to win even simple-majority votes there?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 PM

16,413 posts, read 8,507,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I thought republicans didn't like activist judges? Or it is ok, when it is the "right activism"?
This is a classic mistatement of the leftists. Their radical agenda pushes to change fundimantal/traditional law, morals, values etc. to the extreme. Then when a moderate to consevative comes along and undoes the aforementioned, they are accused of being activists. Nothing could be further from the truth, in that undoing activism is not being an activist. Rather it is going back to the original intent of the framers.

But don't take my word for it, just read what the actual FF's wrote in the Federalist Papers to see for yourself how warped the activist leftists on the court are.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 PM

31,968 posts, read 14,979,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinesOfDrift View Post
Automatically...within a week....gun cases,immigration cases,abortion cases....I can't wait! OH and I am hearing Kennedy is expected to retire this spring.... I hope its true! Imagine him retiring and Ginsburg croaking! Oh man! 6-3 advantage for Americans! SWEET! You think the hissy fit they liberals threw on November 8th was something wait until all they have is 3 people to help them destroy America on the SC!
Why would you want abortion to go to back alleys again. And this is exactly what will happen. That just blows my mind that some would want to go back to dark ages. We need to go forward not backwards.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 PM

30,584 posts, read 18,099,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
The court won't be fundamentally different from the one that allowed Obamacare to stand and legalized same sex marriage. It isn't like Gorsuch is replacing a liberal justice.
True, but that's also the Court that recognized an individual right to own a gun. Due to Scalia's death, many important cases were deadlocked in the last year. Gorsuch being appointed will merely restore what had been, which will mean good things (in my view) on many issues.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:47 PM

30,584 posts, read 18,099,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would you want abortion to go to back alleys again. And this is exactly what will happen. That just blows my mind that some would want to go back to dark ages. We need to go forward not backwards.
Sure, some would get abortions in a back alley, so the speak. But, let's be clear, the total number of abortions would also drop. Many don't have a problem with this. For many, a decline in the number of abortions is not a bad thing and is moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies