Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:00 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Don't you hate that Obama wasted all that money on things like "Cash for Clunkers". If he had not done so the government wouldn't be forced into cutting programs now.

is this sarcastic? or just willfully ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Got any information beyond just your words?

If true, shouldn't NIH be raking billions of dollars?

Wow, it is absolutely shocking there are Americans this ignorant.....

Emil Frei III, Who Put Cancer Cures in Reach, Dies at 89 - The New York Times

But it must be fake news right? It's the NYTs.....

Old 03-16-2017, 04:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
is this sarcastic? or just willfully ignorant?
Calling me names doesn't address what was said. It simply means you lack argument to address it.

Obama wasted huge sums of money on nothing. Those bills don't go away because he isn't in office now.

How much money did Obama waste on Cash for Clunkers?

How much money is being cut from the NIH Budget?

The math speaks for itself.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Calling me names doesn't address what was said. It simply means you lack argument to address it.

Obama wasted huge sums of money on nothing. Those bills don't go away because he isn't in office now.
you know what- you're right I shouldn't have done that- but I just can't tell your goal with that post- do you honestly think cash for clunkers was bad, but helped our atuo industry a lot - if he let them die it would be more manufacturing jobs people would be crying over ....? Or are you trying to make some silly point comparing it to Trump cutting billions from vital scientific research? I mean I know Trumpsters are anti-elitist and anti-science, but I thought we are all for curing cancer and infectious diseases?
we could also just to give tax cuts to billionaires and millionaires and keep both?? maybe not balloon an already huge and inefficient defense budget that generals don't even want???

Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because if it was up to pharmaceutical companies, there would be little to no research into drugs for rare illnesses or diseases with low-cost treatments. Not enough money.
And, pharmaceutical companies are hardly unbiased!

Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
....do you honestly think cash for clunkers was bad?.....
When is it ever good to spend hard earned tax dollars, tax dollars that could be used for scientific research, on broken down cars that nobody wants? Who does that?

I'm surprised the question has to be asked.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Dude, don't be so condescending. Nobody here is 3 years old.

If you don't know, just say you don't know. I have no clue what NIH does.
I'm sorry if it came off that way - I was not meaning to be condescending.

I was just trying to show that the answer your question could be found rather quickly with a Google search and a cursory look at a few links.

In brief, they do a lot - especially behind the scenes and in funding basic scientific research. It's hard to really know everything they do unless you work in biomedical research (as I have for my career)...but if you use modern medicine (or even non-modern medicine), you likely are using products that were created with the aid of NIH-funded research.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
When is it ever good to spend hard earned tax dollars, tax dollars that could be used for scientific research, on broken down cars that nobody wants? Who does that?

I'm surprised the question has to be asked.
so I was correct in my initial assessment, you're being glib...glad to see that- so it's a binary thing- cash for clunkers or science? that's the only choice? again if Obama had let the auto industry fail you'd be crying over lost manufacturing jobs....I mean like I said we can't possibly not cut taxes on millionaires and billionaires or look for increased efficiency in defense spending or perhaps not raise spending to a ludicrous level even the generals don't want, right??? it's has to be since Obama spent money saving the auto industry we simply have to cut the NIH budget......

Old 03-16-2017, 04:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what happens when the government was voted in by anti-science voters from flyover country
And these kind of insults aimed at your fellow citizens in "flyover country" is exactly why your side will continue to struggle at the ballot box. Democrat, including Democrat leadership, contempt for those who are not like them has never been clearer.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
so I was correct in my initial assessment, you're being glib...glad to see that- so it's a binary thing- cash for clunkers or science? that's the only choice? again if Obama had let the auto industry fail you'd be crying over lost manufacturing jobs....I mean like I said we can't possibly not cut taxes on millionaires and billionaires or look for increased efficiency in defense spending or perhaps not raise spending to a ludicrous level even the generals don't want, right??? it's has to be since Obama spent money saving the auto industry we simply have to cut the NIH budget......
Ahh.
  • So you claim that when Obama takes money that could have been used for scientific research, and instead spends it on something else, that is OK
  • But if Trump takes money that could have been used for scientific research and spends it on something else, that's NOT OK.
Nice partisan double standard that you have there.

(and you don't win argument by continuing to call me names)

Thanks for participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies