Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You sure do have contempt for the average working person, PCAL! First you referred to "Joe Sixpack", now you're talking about "working stiff(s)". Just what is it you do for a living?

I do not support Trump. Fail.
I never said you supported Trump, but you refuse to accept that private user fees on everything are worse than sales taxes to fund programs for the 99% and thats just ignorance.

Joe Sixpack and working stiff are just normal words to describe a hardworking person struggling to get by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Folks, you realize that MOW is going no where and nobody will go hungry, right?

97% of MOW is NOT from the government.....it's PRIVATE......
wrong, 35% of funds come from the federal government. People will go hungry of course as a result of Trump taking food from the poor elderly to fund tax breaks for himself and massive gifts to the military industrial complex.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why do they have MOW in all those other countries, then? You know MOW started in the UK, no? I think no. What issue do you have with the current MOW, that is meeting a lot of people's needs, economically? Why would paid caregivers, who come and go, be better?
The blind elderly who cant do what they want should get much more support than simply a meal a day delivered to them! They should be given paid caregivers funded by taxes on all of us at no cost to themselves. Thats the LEAST we can do as a nation!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Folks, you realize that MOW is going no where and nobody will go hungry, right?

97% of MOW is NOT from the government.....it's PRIVATE......
Wrong! Here's the truth about Meals on Wheels in Trump's budget
"Every Meals on Wheels affiliate gets money from a different mix of state, local and federal government funds, along with individual donations and philanthropic organizations."

Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How many of your liberals who are whining about the cuts, actually use any of your time, or money, to help your local food bank, or meals on wheels, or a similar type program? I'm curious.
I do! How about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
B]Why[/b] ae all the liberals/"progressives" here so terrified by the prospect of returning programs like MOW to local oversight
Uh ... Meals on Wheels is a local program with local oversight. Do some freakin' research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why do Liberals think that EVREY program MUST be federally funded or it will DIE?
Social services programs in some states, in some poorer regions of the country (but who gives a crap about them, right?) depend more on federal funds than programs in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wrong. They can move in with their kids. I've hosted both my father-in-law until his death, and now my elderly Mom and her husband.
I don't have any kids, and not through choice. I've saved as much money as I can for my elderly years. But I just may outlive that money - then what? I guess I should just go live under a bridge and eat bugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I saw a lot of reporting on the poor and middle classes when that happened. I don't know who watch that it wasn't reported. Once again, it is liberal types like you who are SNEERING at the middle class. Is it convenient thinking that you don't remember liberals calling us stupid, uneducated, deplorable's, even a one calling for the extermination of white people. That's why you're confused why you lost. You just refuse to see it. People are going to put up with it for so long, and it looks like that time came.
What the hell are you going on about? A whole hell of a lot of liberals are middle class. Why in the hell would they be sneering at the middle class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'd be more than happy to have my tax dollars go to the needy. But when I see the lavish office remodels, extravagant conferences and useless art purchased, I'm going to say NO to anything but drastic cuts.
Hahaha! I'd love to have a lavish office at the nonprofit I work for (that gets federal funding for its Head Start classrooms and for adult basic education classes). Instead, I have some corporate office's hand-me-down desk chair and cubicle, a 6-year-old laptop, and a poster on the wall that passes for "useless art".

Nice try. Have you ever visited a nonprofit organization?

Quote:
Aren't liberals always going on and on about the poor having the right to have 3, 4, 5, or even more children they'll never be able to provide for?

Well, guess what? It works the other way around, too. Elders who are poor can move in with one of their kids, a niece, nephew, brother, sister, cousin, etc.
Of course, you're assuming that the family member in question has the capacity for someone to move into their home.

Quote:
That isn't always the case. It frequently happens that they just need regular help, not constant 24/7 supervision. The way our situation worked with my father-in-law when his health deteriorated severely at the end of his stay with us was regular (but not constant) home hospice care paid for by Medicare, and my spouse or I worked from home when we could.
Your father-in-law is not every elderly person who needs help, and not everyone who has a job is able to work from home. More ridiculous assumptions.

Quote:
People choose not to plan for their future, and many choose not to get educated, then they can only find low paying jobs, so they expect those of us that did plan for our futures to subsidize them.
Yeah, because people who don't have the intellectual capacity to go to college or get a better job than working at Wal Mart consciously chose to have a lower IQ or capacity to work.

How ignorant and callous can one post be? This one wins the prize.

Quote:
No, we need able bodied people to get off their asses, and, or stop making babies they can't support and get their butts to work.
Uh, we're talking about old people here. They can't make babies, and a lot of them can't get their butts to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No we don't need federal money. Local money would be enough IF the federal government didn't take so much
Uh ... You do realize it takes the same amount of money to operate an organization regardless of where the income originates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
As for the poor wittle people who pay taxes, too bad. If I have to pay for Donald Trump to flaunt his fat ass around Florida, you can pay for an inner city kid to be safe at an after school program.
Ha! Thanks for the chuckle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I live just fine on Social Security and a small pension. What the hell do you think old people need so much money for? If their houses and cars aren't paid for, it's nobody's fault but their own.
Well, bully for you. Most employers don't pay pensions anymore; where have you been? What do old people need money for? Housing, medical care, transportation, medication, food, medical care, clothing, medication ...

Quote:
Your attitude is sickening.
Do you have a mirror? Just curious.

Quote:
Then get out your checkbook and write a check instead of preaching that others should pay. Make it worth writing while your at it.
How much do you donate to charity every year? Put up or shut up, I always say.

Quote:
And just to set you straight, the poor live in both urban and rural area's but you liberals like to portray people in rural area's as people with missing teeth and playing a banjo. From what I see, there are more poor in urban area's, crammed in like sardines.
You couldn't be more wrong ... as usual.

Rural Poverty - 11 Myths and Realities

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/rura...f-poverty.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_...-United_States

Quote:
Right. Most liberals are too damned stupid to know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid.
Usually, on C-D anyway, it's the Trumpettes that don't know the difference.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Perhaps it has been already posted (I don't want to read 115 pages to find out), but here it is again:

Here's the truth about Meals on Wheels in Trump's budget

Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
MOW delivers one meal per day (apparently only M-F - at least in the state I googled).

These seniors can't make a meal for themselves, but can pay their bills, clean their house, shower/bathe, etc.?

MOW is a way for these folks to maintain their independence?

If you need someone to bring a meal to you, you aren't capable of doing much else.

Is there a tax payer funded program that helps them clean, pay their property taxes, rent, lawn care, etc.?

I would expect that they can do it on their own, otherwise the MOW volunteers SHOULD report them to Adult Services. The stench alone, of someone who couldn't do a thing for themselves, such as make a meal, once a day...

If there is outside care/help, the help can't report on the health/condition of the elderly elder?

Who gets them to the doctor?

Who gets their prescriptions?

If one is so bad off that one can't make one meal per day for oneself, one SHOULD be in a nursing home.

But I suspect that those who have family, don't want to pay for it...so sign daddy/mommy up for MOW. Sign daddy/mommy up for all the free **** tax payers will pay for - because you are a rotten child who wants others to take care of your familial obligations.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Good Grief!

To quote Joseph Welch to Joe McCarthy:
"You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"
McCarthy-Welch Exchange During the Army-McCarthy Hearings - Online Speech Bank

MOW has stood the test of time. It started out in England after WW II, came here in 1954.

My mom got MOW. She lived 1500 miles away from me, about 1000 miles from my brother. She didn't clean a whole lot. The house didn't get all that dirty, either. I'd clean it when I came out to visit. She paid her own taxes, paid a kid to mow the lawn. My aunt took her to the doctor, took her to pick up her prescriptions.

She also worked hard in her working days. She was a veteran of the Army Nurse Corps WW II, served in the Philippines and New Guinea. She and my father were big time contributors to their church, in both time and money.

And IT'S NOT FREE! How many times does that have to be said?

May you or one of your loved ones never need this service, you with the hardest of hearts.

Have you left no sense of decency?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1eA5bUzVjA

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-20-2017 at 11:08 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Not only is he mean and small minded, but he is also ignorant. Deadly combination. His is the same man who said we should improve our nation's infrastructure, yet wants to cut amtrak and transportation progerqms.

Donald Trump is he sickest individual to ever hold office. His administration will not have a happy ending, not for our country, the world, or himself.

Our country will run Nov 6, 2016.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Right. Most liberals are too damned stupid to know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid.

lol. No, they don't know that. As I said...stupid! It's all around us. Someone plants a bee in their bonnets and they go berserk!
LOL

Yes, we do know that.

Its not stupid.

As I said earlier, those of us who work or volunteer with such programs know how tight money is for them. If its "only 3%" of the budget and its SUCH a minuscule amount why are ya'll crying about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies