Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You keep saying that. Lay out for us how one delivered meal a day keeps elders in their homes longer.
Is one delivered meal the key to independent living.
No, its part of it. We helped after work and weekends. No one was around during the day and she would skip eating but not for the deliveries. We donated more than we used, but there were also less fortunate people who could not pay. I heard the program was in trouble in some areas recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You aren't asking me but I'll tell you my experience with trying to keep my dad out of a nursing home...and we did keep him at home for five years, until he died. One important part in our system was using (and paying for) meals on wheels; it was as much for the mid afternoon human contact stopping by as it was for the food. His driver was a peach of a guy who always spent 15 minutes chatting. It didn't happen often but if he saw something we should know about, he'd call my brother or me. (Dad lived in the country, no neighbor to check in, in case you're going to suggest that alternate.) My brother checked on dad every night 6 days a week, on his way home from work. (My S-I-L hated that and put a lot of stress on my brother over it.) My nephew cut his grass, my niece cleaned his house. I lived 75 miles away and would go spend two days a week with him, staying over night and when I was there I put up his medications, took him to appointments and the store and got him out of the house as I ran his errands. (My husband was very supportive of our effort to keep dad at home.) It takes a village to keep an elderly person at home and Meals on Wheels is a tool that helps a lot of families with this goal.
Great example - thanks for sharing.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That one meal a day wont save them. As that percentage of federal money funding the program wont destroy them.
Lets not forget the food stamp and various other programs they can receive.
My MoW clients would be highly unlikely to enroll in SNAP. They have no way of doing so or getting to /from a store. They are housebound and the "oldest of the old" with multiple disabilities and chronic conditions.

SNAP benefits do not cover prepared food and most of my clients have no access to a microwave .

Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
I have no problem with government cutting programs, especially something like MoW, because a great many of us will step up to the plate and keep these community programs funded and going. But if they're going to cut, as a cost saving measure, don't just re-allocate the money elsewhere, no savings and more cost to us to keep our programs going.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:14 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Unless the Republicans in congress just bend over for Trump and facilitate him in putting it to us, this so-called budget proposal is just pandering to his brain-dead, ultra-right supporters. They'd like to destroy every type of social benefit program. He couldn't be so ignorant that he'd think that this copulation of a budget bill would actually get passed. He just wants to be able to claim that he's trying to live up to his pledge, to further enrich the rich and disenfranchise those with low to moderate resources.
It says right in the 3rd paragraph of the article that many of the things in that budget will be dead on arrival with the Republican leadership.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:17 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I have no problem with government cutting programs, especially something like MoW, because a great many of us will step up to the plate and keep these community programs funded and going. But if they're going to cut, as a cost saving measure, don't just re-allocate the money elsewhere, no savings and more cost to us to keep our programs going.
If a "great many of us" are willing to step up to the plate and keep community funded programs funded and going, where are you now? Why aren't you out there with me and others who are CURRENTLY stepping up? If you were, you'd know that even with federal and state funding, current community funding and volunteers just aren't cutting it for the amount of unmet need that is out there.

So where are you?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
yes it takes a village to keep an elderly person at home but even if you paid taxes and are a middle class person who fell into poverty in your elderly years, the government won't give authorization for the village people to help. You got to be dirt poor and the income limits are so low that you'd have to be in the system and poor all your lives.

I don't know how else to spell it out.
Not entirely true. If a person has assets they are expected to use them up before the government steps in to help. You can't have it both ways. You can't hold on to a house or other assets to pass on to your kids but still expect the government to pay for your nursing home or support care.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Screw those old people. Let them get a job. Living off of $750.00 Social Security per month is enough.

Let them eat dog food.
Harry Nilsson sometimes ate dog food, as a child, to keep from starving. He grew up poor.

Harry Nilsson | On the Beat | KCRW

Some of his songs...

Without You
Everybody's Talkin'
Coconut
Me and My Arrow
Jump into the Fire

Etc.

Prolific musical genius.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/u...cuts.html?_r=0

In addition to the cuts at the E.P.A. and the State Department, Mr. Trump’s team is expected to propose a wide array of cuts to public education, to transportation programs like Amtrak and to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the complete elimination of the $3 billion Community Development Block Grant program, which funds popular programs like Meals on Wheels, housing assistance and other community assistance efforts.

I remember my husband's 99 year old grandmother getting meals from them. Guess she should have gone out and gotten a job!
First off, seriously, quoting the NYT? Well, at least it isn't about Trump not filing tax returns for 20 years this time.

OK, "expected", what does that word mean? You do realize the NYT is serving up liberal horse poop to continue their attack on Trump right? Again, "expected", you can catalog that with "alleged", "anonymous source", "may", "could", "an unnamed source"..................

I think communities will have more money for such activities within their cities once the illegal aliens are removed. Illegal aliens suck down huge amounts of charitable services meant for US citizens.

New York Times? Someone did post that it works great in the bottom of the bird cage!

Old 03-16-2017, 03:26 PM

569 posts, read 671,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In our area and many others, MoW is 97% funded by donations and local government,
I am not going to get all spun yet about this budget. It has to pass still. But didn't programs like MoW get started because there was a problem of people being food insecure and unable to help care for themselves and that the help that was available wasn't enough? If this goes to a local level doesn't this mean that the poor states/counties that don't have flush budgets are really going to have a hard time? And don't many seniors at retirement age move to less expensive areas that may have less $ in their local budgets to help those in need?

I believe that there is waste in budgets but I also believe if the USA is going to call itself the best we need to treat our residents well. Do I LOVE having a lot of $ taken from my check? No. Would I qualify for any of this help? No. But I also feel that we as a country are better than letting anyone be food insecure, without medical care access (sure anyone can walk in but no $ or insurance means no care), housing, etc. We do NOT need to raise defense spending at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies