Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh, I'm not sure where these artificial lines are drawn. I'll have to look it up. I know I'm a "boomer" (born in 1958) with a daughter (born 1991) who I thought was a millennial.
Yup -- generation x'ers would be 1960- 1980 ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
as a Gen X, we are in between, laugh and shake our heads at the boomers and millennials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What are you? The beloved generation before or in between.

Silly to think your generation is any better.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Meals on Wheels ran over my grandfathers dog in his driveway on his way out. He looked at the dog and sped off.

Good riddance.
you should have called them and reported him....it wasn't meals on wheels, it was the guy driving, who I for one, wouldn't think twice about firing him.....

That is really sad....

Old 03-17-2017, 09:28 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
They don't care. This is why I wait in glee for the horrible well deserved karma that is coming the cons way. I'll actually clap.
Eventually they'll be voted out for their "extreme" views and the other side voted in, and round and round it goes...

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Meals on Wheels ran over my grandfathers dog in his driveway on his way out. He looked at the dog and sped off.

Good riddance.
Oh, man, I wasn't going to mention it, but:

I had to report the Meals on Wheels guy in my area. It's a retirement community with several crossings clearly marked to drive slowly. Lots of people here are in wheelchairs or walkers, and many of us walk our dogs. We are of the age that we can't run or sprint to get out of the way. The guy who was delivering here was told repeatedly to slow it the **** down. He would literally go around corners on 2 wheels, screeching as he went. I finally called MoW and told them if I ever saw him here again, I would call the cops.

I was always afraid he would hit someone or run over me and my dog. He delivered to just one lady at that time and she fell and went into a nursing home, so he hasn't been around. THANK GOD!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
“We can't spend money on programs just because they sound good,†said Mick Mulvaney
Totally side-stepping the fact that they DO good.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Despicable. Heartless. Cruel.

Ten of Trump's budget's cruelest cuts (opinion) - CNN.com

Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM

I think the problem with talking about funding of Meals on Wheels is that it varies drastically from state to state.

The portion the federal govt. funds is probably in those states that just don't have the same resources -- charitable or tax revenue.

It will shift - I believe it will be picked up by the local communities -- either through charity or tax money......

I think it is the callous nature and presentation that gets us. So the budget guy so much as said he needs to cut this program because the single mom in detroit with 2 kids .shouldn't have to pay for someone's Meals on Wheels.

Well now that's a big old duh?~ If this guy really was addressing that comment to liberals --he would know liberals want folks who make more than 400K a year to pay not some single mom struggling in Detroit with two kids.

It was his comment - no evidence these programs are effective. What a stupid thing to say. Of course they are effective......of course they are needed.

Just say it like it is. We are shifting the burden to the states and communities. End of story.

I kind of agree that federal funding should shift that kind of burden because it varies so much from state to state.

Sometime is is how you give the message....

Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Eventually they'll be voted out for their "extreme" views and the other side voted in, and round and round it goes...
Honey.........your side got voted out for extreme views.

And deservedly so.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Totally side-stepping the fact that they DO good.
Yes his implication that they aren't doing good is off putting.

Let's not pretend these programs aren't being well used and aren't needed. They are.

It is just time for them to be local/state programs.

And I am a fiscal conservative -- I believe budget cuts and tax increases are what we need to reduce the debt.

BUT -- they aren't cutting these programs to cut the budget -- they are bumping up other areas.

I'm not convinced they are creating a deficit reducing budget yet -- haven't see the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies