Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 06:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not only do most people not read, they don't have critical thinking skills. It's a lot easier to have someone fill their brain with populist garbage, have someone else determine their political thinking, have someone else tell them what are "facts" and what are "alternative facts". This is precisely how we got Donald Trump, nothing more or less than a glorified shyster real estate agent, as President.
Again.... we got Trump because the democrats nominated a career criminal.
You people nominate a better candidate, Trump probably loses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not only do most people not read, they don't have critical thinking skills. It's a lot easier to have someone fill their brain with populist garbage, have someone else determine their political thinking, have someone else tell them what are "facts" and what are "alternative facts". This is precisely how we got Donald Trump, nothing more or less than a glorified shyster real estate agent, as President.
I am a person who strongly disliked both major party candidates as potential Presidents and did not vote for either one. I expected Hillary to win, though, and part of my surprise that Trump won is probably based on the fact that I live in NJ and worked in the city all my life. I never saw his TV show. The idea that DONALD TRUMP could be POTUS seemed ludicrous, yet here we are.

I came to realize that people in other parts of the country apparently have a completely different perception of who he is, and that's exactly because he's good at being the huckster he is. He knew how to sell himself based on understanding what they wanted to hear. I totally get the idea that people want someone other than your standard-issue same-old politician. But THIS someone?

Anyway, I wasn't going to be happy either way, and when he got elected and brought in Roth and Lefrak to look at our nation's infrastructure, I thought hey if he can do just that and leave the issues in which he's weak to the experts, I'll be ok. Maybe he can get something done in an area that's badly needed, and even though he doesn't have that specific expertise, he has related expertise and the connections who can help him.

But so far, with this tweeting nonsense and his silly games, I'm not seeing much of a change from the same loudmouth goofball we've always seen in NYC.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Again.... we got Trump because the democrats nominated a career criminal.
You people nominate a better candidate, Trump probably loses.
We ALL need better candidates. And more than two real parties and more choices. If we didn't learn THAT from 2016, we never will.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Absolutely no compassion.
It's easy to have compassion when you're not footing the bill.

Givers have limits...because takers rarely do.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

But so far, with this tweeting nonsense and his silly games, I'm not seeing much of a change from the same loudmouth goofball we've always seen in NYC.
You don't realize that the media has an agenda and he tweets to get his words out (get around the media). If we had to depend only on the media for the news, we'd really be screwed.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You don't realize that the media has an agenda and he tweets to get his words out (get around the media). If we had to depend only on the media for the news, we'd really be screwed.
Fine. Of course the media has an agenda. They've always had. But think before you tweet, Mr. President, or no one will take you seriously after a while.

You know, I got into trouble a few times at work some years ago because I sent emails without reviewing them with the thought in mind of how they would be read by others. My boss got some calls about me sending rude emails, and they were emails that were not sent with any rude intent but just were very short and to the point. My goal was to inform, but my words sounded condescending to some people.

So, I put a post-it on the side of my monitor that said, "Think before you hit 'send'." Trump needs to think things through before he sends things on impulse. If used correctly, he certainly could use social media to inform.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Fine. Of course the media has an agenda. They've always had. But think before you tweet, Mr. President, or no one will take you seriously after a while.

You know, I got into trouble a few times at work some years ago because I sent emails without reviewing them with the thought in mind of how they would be read by others. My boss got some calls about me sending rude emails, and they were emails that were not sent with any rude intent but just were very short and to the point. My goal was to inform, but my words sounded condescending to some people.

So, I put a post-it on the side of my monitor that said, "Think before you hit 'send'." Trump needs to think things through before he sends things on impulse. If used correctly, he certainly could use social media to inform.
I did that once too, in an organization I belong to. I wasn't trying to be rude, either. The other person didn't take it well. I never did have a chance to apologize, and she moved away. (Not because of that, I'm sure.)

I do think Trump needs to think things through before he Tweets. Politicians have found other ways to get around the media over the years. Plus, I don't see the media as some huge conspiracy, though I have found reporters to not get a lot of health care stuff and stir up trouble inadvertently.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
It's the so-called "mainstream" media whom nobody (save for the Snowflakes) takes seriously any longer.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's the so-called "mainstream" media whom nobody (save for the Snowflakes) takes seriously any longer.
Well...I often wondered over the years why anyone DID, or more accurately, why people did not break down news articles and just took things at face value.

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and our phones were attached to the wall with curly wires, I went to school. No, didn't have to walk uphill both ways.

In elementary school, we had a whole series of records they played called "Fact or Opinion". I remember the voice said the "O" in opinion very distinctly, lol. The teacher would play a reading, and then stop the record, and the class had to discuss and decide whether the passage was factual or an opinion.

Also, in I think 7th grade or so, we had to bring in newspaper articles and have broken them down sentence by sentence to determine what was factual and what was "slant". If something was stated as factual but wasn't substantiated, we had to write down the questions that were raised in our minds about what further information we would require to determine if the statements in the news article were factual.

Do they just not teach this anymore? I raised a kid who is now 25, and I'm pretty sure SHE knows the difference, too.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Well...I often wondered over the years why anyone DID, or more accurately, why people did not break down news articles and just took things at face value.

Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and our phones were attached to the wall with curly wires, I went to school. No, didn't have to walk uphill both ways.

In elementary school, we had a whole series of records they played called "Fact or Opinion". I remember the voice said the "O" in opinion very distinctly, lol. The teacher would play a reading, and then stop the record, and the class had to discuss and decide whether the passage was factual or an opinion.

Also, in I think 7th grade or so, we had to bring in newspaper articles and have broken them down sentence by sentence to determine what was factual and what was "slant". If something was stated as factual but wasn't substantiated, we had to write down the questions that were raised in our minds about what further information we would require to determine if the statements in the news article were factual.

Do they just not teach this anymore? I raised a kid who is now 25, and I'm pretty sure SHE knows the difference, too.
I sure hope you are using these same parameters with Trump's speeches and Tweets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies