Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
A lot has happened since I last posted obviously. When Obama cut the program back in 2009 by 50% it was because at least 50% of the fund could not be accounted for. We still have 26% that goes to "handling" the money allocated. Another 24% still can not be accounted for - some of which are bad records.
Do you have a source for that because I can't find it anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:13 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
This is pretty typical of the way many Federal grant programs operate.

Counties receive so much Federal money from so many sources that the intended purpose of money is sometimes lost. I used to manage a $100 million Federal grant program, and, every year, I would get calls from recently hired county treasurers asking where the money was for. I couldn't tell them much aside from their state contact because I had allocated the money to the state, and it was the state that decided to fund some project proposed by the county (which I knew nothing about). The treasurer saw money in the county's bank account and they no idea who in their office had requested the funds (or they knew but that person had since recently left/retired). County treasurers would often say, "can I use the money for {X} instead," and all I could do was refer them to their state contact.

At the end of the year (after the fact), I received a report from the state summarizing the funded projects in each county, but I had no way of knowing whether the counties actually spent the funds on those projects. One could argue that there should be more oversight of taxpayer dollars, but that would create more bureaucracy. Generally speaking, there's probably one Federal employee for every $100 million in money granted to all 50 states, and then one person in every state who is responsible for doling out those monies to counties.
When was that around 40 years ago before there were audit requirements? My son is a public accountant and what you are describing simply doesn't happen. They don't close their books unless they investigate a missing roll of postage stamps let alone millions in missing grant money.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
The states are the ones who administer the money they receive from the Federal Block Grants. Federal Block Grants come from the Federal Government.
Yes, the far right is trying to gloss over that. And I saw no evidence of "fraud and abuse" (LOL!) in the Wire article that was supposed to be proof positive of same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
We have to make cuts to stop adding to the huge debt burden we have. But things like Meals on Wheels and education should be last, not first, on the cutting block. And military certainly should not get more money.
We always run a deficit. Yet there always seems to be money for the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And our local news reported that volunteers and donations have seen a huge increase after this news. People and churches will pick up the slack when they think it's needed, and actually do a much better job.
The "slack" will be picked up for a while, then people will forget about MOW and they'll be back where they were. "People and churches"? Aren't churches run by people? Something came across my Facebook yesterday about a pastor in my hometown being investigated for financial malfeasance re: his church. There's no guarantee they'll do it better.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM

18,339 posts, read 18,947,943 times
Quote:
And our local news reported that volunteers and donations have seen a huge increase after this news. People and churches will pick up the slack when they think it's needed, and actually do a much better job.
if people and churches picked up the slack and earned their tax free status there would not of been a need for MOW in the first place.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:18 PM

336 posts, read 376,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When was that around 40 years ago before there were audit requirements? My son is a public accountant and what you are describing simply doesn't happen. They don't close their books unless they investigate a missing roll of postage stamps let alone millions in missing grant money.
No, this was recent. There was no "missing grant money." Every cent was provided to states and the states were responsible for disbursing the funds to local governments for program purposes. At the end of the year, we received a report from each state with a list of local government projects and the amount of funding the state allocated for each. But we relied on the states to report accurately and to ensure that local governments spent the funds as reported. This is the way most Federal grant programs work. The states (and their elected representatives in Congress) don't want Federal bureaucrats inserting themselves into state business or questioning state decisions.

Last edited by VAGeek; 03-18-2017 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 07:51 PM

41,816 posts, read 74,868,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Your (Feeding America) food insecurity and Michelle Obama's food deserts - I'm not buying it.
You need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Most of these federal funded programs are operated by people who get paid giant salary but the books are made to look like they don't make any profit. The entire program was thought up by someone who was connected in washington they sell it to the stupid news media. Lot of these non-profits have lobbyist working for them who used to be in government. Dems usually end up in these places just like GOP ends up working for defense company.
Most ridiculous post of the day! Congratulations.

Programs like Meals on Wheels generally are run by local or regional senior citizens or family service organizations. No one there makes giant salaries. They sure wish they did, I'll wager. I know I sure wish the non-profit I work for paid better!

Give up the conspiracy theories, but I guess I should thank you for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I don't need it, and voted for Trump, but I also help my mom and her elderly friends out with food, shopping and errands. The Food Pantry many of them go to has weekly delivery + a 30 lb. extra box of foodstuff. It is Church based, relies on public donations and also gets a whole lot from local grocery stores.
Your mom and her friends are lucky. Not all senior citizens have family or friends or churches to help them out. The real beneficiary of Meals on Wheels are the isolated elderly who are trying to stay in their homes but need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Total and complete b.s.
LOL. Wrong again!

Quote:
Well, according to my Grandma (who passed away several years ago), neighbors helped neighbors.
How wonderful that your grandmother had such a great life. But what does this have to do with Meals on Wheels?

Quote:
Whatever happened to Corporate Donations to local Charities?
OMG, seriously? Corporations give tons of money to local charities; not all of them choose hunger as their focus for charitable giving.

Quote:
I think I agree with the poster who says it's more of a Shift of funds than a cutting of them. Or maybe putting the responsibility on State and Local as opposed to Federal.
If you think your federal taxes are going to be reduced after CDBG funding et al are cut to the states, I have a bridge to sell you.

Quote:
I found some articles just searching on google, and they say Government Charities give out less to people than private ones do, because they use more of the funding grants and donations to pay overhead, salaries, etc... Private Charities don't pay for all of this extra stuff, so most of their money ends up going where it is needed most...to those in need.
What are "government charities"?

Private non-profit organizations most certainly pay overhead and salaries - do their employees not deserve to be paid? Do private charities not need to pay the electric bill and buy paper for the copier? It's not "extra stuff" - it's what is needed to run an organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I love how the anti-Christian libs suddenly become "Christians" when subjects like this are discussed.
Most 'libs' I know are Christians. Try again.

Quote:
That said, I would argue that it's not the Federal Government's responsibility to fund this type of assistance for the elderly and poor. IMO, financial assistance for these programs should be funded from local and state taxes, not Federal taxes.
And if you, too, think that your federal taxes will be lower after the federal government no longer contributes to assistance for the elderly and the poor, you've got another think coming.

Wake up, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Help the fat cats what? What do you think you're paying that they are not?
Um, taxes? How many large corporations get away with paying little to no federal tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That would be those on the left... Always wanting SOMEONE ELSE to pay and SOMEONE ELSE to volunteer instead of stepping up themselves. Just read this thread... It's crystal clear. And it's disgusting.
What's disgusting is your ignorant version of what a "lib" is. All my "lib" friends volunteer at their church, at senior citizen centers,at homeless shelters and women's shelters, in schools, at animal rescues and after-school programs for kids ... What about you? What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I think most people know, at least by now from reading this thread, that federal funding is only 3% of the MOW program. However, it's the pure nastiness of trying to cut a program like this that shocks people!
For me, it wasn't the nastiness -- although it is! -- but the assertion that Meals on Wheels doesn't show results. How stupid and/or heartless does someone have to be not to know that if you feed people, they don't starve. That's the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Meals on Wheels should not be a FEDERAL government program.
It should be LOCAL/COMMUNITY and voluntary charities including family.
Meals on Wheels is a local/regional program - the federal government supplies a small amount of the funding, which helps keep it going.

And how many times does the fact need to be underscored that not all older people have family or friends that can help them?

Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM

8,137 posts, read 6,875,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Meals on Wheels is a local/regional program - the federal government supplies a small amount of the funding, which helps keep it going.

And how many times does the fact need to be underscored that not all older people have family or friends that can help them?
I said INCLUDING family.
I didn't say EXCLUSIVELY family.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
Quote:
No, this was recent. There was no "missing grant money." Every cent was provided to states and the states were responsible for disbursing the funds to local governments for program purposes. At the end of the year, we received a report from each state with a list of local government projects and the amount of funding the state allocated for each. But we relied on the states to report accurately and to ensure that local governments spent the funds as reported. This is the way most Federal grant programs work. The states (and their elected representatives in Congress) don't want Federal bureaucrats inserting themselves into state business or questioning state decisions.
Are you saying her fictional son was lying?

My fictional son worked for Obama and tells me that Obama did tap Trump's phones.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times
I've been schooled royally today and glad for it. Unlike most of you here -- when I discuss I discuss to learn. I found out that while many Meals on Wheels programs don't rely much on federal funding..some rely on it big time. We can argue to the ends of the earth why...but in a simple form for simple mines...some communities are richer than others and pay their own way.....

Having said that -- for some of the programs it will mean people will go hungry. They have waiting lists...not all...but some will suffer.

We don't measure the benefits of Meals on Wheels because it is hard to do a real study -- you know do without it and see how many old people die of malnutrition and then let's reassess our situation.

I say - -cut the health benefits of congress and feed those in need.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,785,304 times
Quote:
Yes, I have heard this as well. This will be difficult to maintain, however. I haven't donated yet, but when I do am wondering whether there is an option for a "sustaining membership", as you can do with Planned Parenthood or NPR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies