Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:39 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,976,887 times

Advertisements

I am, and have always been, torn about the NPR issue. However, I do thank them for being the ones to introduce Monty Python's Flying Circus to the United States back in the early 1970s. I would stay up those Sunday nights in order to watch the show.

On the one hand, I have always regarded with suspicion using Federal dollars to prop up NPR. On the other hand, it does serve to support 'art' and such.

Such is life. Full of hard choices, with arguments to be made on each side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 06:20 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,390,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
NPR should get no funding period they are blatantly biased towards a leftist point of view. It's not at NY Times level or anything but it's still quite clearly there.
You obviously still listen so you must be
able to handle the "left" bias. Probably your'e even enjoying
parts of the programming , surely more than what happens when
I listen to "right" wing biased programming, so full of hate and
hype.

I thought about this so called "left" bias
this morning and don't get it, is talking calmly
about social issues considered "left"?

Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 AM

1,640 posts, read 791,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I enjoy listening to NPR also, particularly when it streams the BBC news service, however it regards to its liberal side, why should taxpayer dollars supporting its liberal bias agenda? What about if instead, all the money the Dems donated to Obama's and Hillary's presidential runs were to go towards NPR?

Liberals should be paying for liberal radio shows.
NPR is moderate. Just because something is not bat frack crazy doesn't mean it's liberal.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:39 AM

30,021 posts, read 11,616,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
NPR is the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind when driving. There are NO other radio programs that compare. If they lose federal funding I will triple my contribution. It's worth paying whatever is necessary to have some enlightened civility while surrounded by raging idiots on the freeway.
So why can't NPR as well as PBS throw in enough advertising to pay for themselves? Or let Clear Channel just buy the whole NPR network outright. I agree the era of government sponsored radio or television has long past.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,399,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Oh, it's biased left. It's not completely left. You do hear the other point of view but they are no doubt a Liberal news outlet.
I've listened to NPR on and off for 30 years or so. Up till about 10 years ago, I'd have agreed with you. But in the last 10 years or so they have swung hard left. They no longer offer time to those with differing opinions. They stay with far left talking points.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,784,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
NPR is moderate. Just because something is not bat frack crazy doesn't mean it's liberal.
I agree with this.

IMO they are moderate but slightly liberal. IMO only super right leaning persons feel they are an uber left leaning outlet.

FWIW, I mostly don't like them because I feel they have ridiculous commentary about minorities lol. But I think most shows have ridiculous commentary about minorities, especially black Americans.

My favorite liberally slanted radio program (which can also be streamed) is Democracy Now with Amy Goodman. I like that even though they are liberal, they don't have a lot of mumbo jumbo commentary. Also they bring in real people and not all these so-called "experts" all the time. During the Obama years I also liked that they were very critical of Obama from a more liberal position and especially so about the drone strikes and environmental issues along with illegal immigration issues.

NPR is very...I can only say watered down compared to Democracy Now and due to that they are more moderate but with a slight liberal slant. NPR also has a lot of music programs and cultural programs that have no political slant IMO so you cannot say they are liberal when a large percent of their programming is not even about "news."

Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,524,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I've listened to NPR on and off for 30 years or so. Up till about 10 years ago, I'd have agreed with you. But in the last 10 years or so they have swung hard left. They no longer offer time to those with differing opinions. They stay with far left talking points.
Wrong.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM

417 posts, read 343,954 times
I love NPR it keeps me sane while driving. If funding gets cut I am definitely going to start contributing. It has great programs and I think they are one of the most unbiased news source.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,524,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I love NPR it keeps me sane while driving. If funding gets cut I am definitely going to start contributing. It has great programs and I think they are one of the most unbiased news source.
I've been a sustaining member for years. Anyone who claims NPR news is left is literally talking out of their ass.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM

30,021 posts, read 11,616,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I've been a sustaining member for years. Anyone who claims NPR news is left is literally talking out of their ass.
All Americans that pay federal income taxes are "members" whether they want to or not.

Let it support itself through advertising or through subscription. There is not need for a taxpayer funded radio network in 2017. If it was a right wing network I would not want it to be taxpayer funded.

I don't listen to NPR often. I would say there are more stories of interest to the left than the right. But looking at their news homepage the stories even about Trump seem straightforward.

A similar check of CNN. The top 10 news stories on the homepage are all politics and mostly trump hit pieces. If fact the front and center story is their white house reporter arguing with Spicer. Not good when news organizations are creating the news.

Clearly NPR is more to the middle than CNN.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-17-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies