Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
READ THE WORDS in the lyrics! He campained for Hillary, they turn a blind eye to this garbage he's selling to the kids. Jay-z-big-pimpin-lyrics

YOUR Kids are growing up listening to this GARBAGE
Incorrect. The album has the Parental Advisory: Explicit Content tag. If you try to buy the individual track, it also has a warning about explicit content. Ergo, not selling to kids.

That being said, songs about sex aren't anything new. Ticket to Ride is about a buy who's girl is leaving him to be a prostitute. Died In Your Arms is about having an orgasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting.
The mother is concerned about the simplistic view that the public school is presenting and this is a bad thing?
Isn't it a parent's job to question what one's child is being taught?

These topics continue to confuse me.
Aren't public schools "liberal indoctrination centers?"
Doesn't that make them "bad" by default?

Or is their being defined as "good" or "bad" depend on which part of the curriculum one agrees with?
If a "liberal" questions the curriculum, the school must be doing something right, is the argument?

In any event, if not for these opportunities to bash others' opinions, how ever would people raise their own self-esteem?
Don't trip over that superiority complex.
Pretty much. If conservatives like the curriculum, you're a "Moonbat" for presenting a different view. If conservatives hate the curriculum, you're a hero for presenting a different view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm all for moonbat mommy telling her poor child "the truth" about George Washington. I doubt she gave the child proper context or enough information to truly understand the geopolitical and historical factors at play during his lifetime. Hopefully said child will figure that out on their own someday.

I do hope, however, that some day we will move from a Eurocentric version of history and tell "the truth" about ALL cultures and the millenia old habit of exploitation of people in this world. We do NOT, for example, teach the real way the slave trade was conducted. Many people believe European slavers went out with nets into Africa and captured black slaves.

Gone from the discussion is how Europeans actually got into the slave game HUNDREDS of years after it started. It had been ongoing from western and eastern Africa and through into Arabia for centuries before the first European slaver purchased a black slave. It was VERY robust, and magnitudes more Africans were shipped east as compared to west. (European slaves were also taken from southern and eastern Europe and sent to Northern Africa and the Middle East, but that's a different story).

The richest man to ever live was a black Muslim whose fortune was built partly on slave trading. Afrocentrists to this day extoll his glory.

TEACH a TRUE "peoples" history of this world --- not just a "how white people were bad" version. I think once and if we do that ALL people will have some reckoning about their ancestor's actions and then truly decide the best path is to move forward for everyone without the guilt politics.

Until then, white liberals are the absolute worse, and educated POC who should KNOW BETTER about their own histories gladly ignore or downplay their own sordid past in empire building, colonialism, slavery and exploitation.
It depends on the context of the class. If it's an American History class, going off on a tangent about the history of the entire Slave Trade would be mismanagement of classroom time. However, I've never seen a in either classroom curriculum from my days in school or that of my daughter's school regarding "European slavers went out with nets into Africa and captured black slaves."

Heck, my daughter's history book had a box off to the side of the main slavery lesson that had a brief description of what the slave trade was alongside a web link for those who wanted to learn more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Incorrect. The album has the Parental Advisory: Explicit Content tag. If you try to buy the individual track, it also has a warning about explicit content. Ergo, not selling to kids.
Ergo, this is the content kids are interested in because it's off limits. Artists want their material to get the warning label.

Ergo, kids find a way to get their hands on it.

I know we did when I was a kid.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ergo, this is the content kids are interested in because it's off limits. Artists want their material to get the warning label.

Ergo, kids find a way to get their hands on it.

I know we did when I was a kid.
Funny. 'Cause I don't recall mentioning that it, and other songs like it, were "off limits". Just that their target market is not kids. There's a difference.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I thought this was very good...and accurate:

Quote:
We have better models. Parents of black and Latino children have long made thoughtful choices about when and how to engage in difficult and nuanced discussions about difference. Studies show that such parents are two to five times more likely than whites to teach their children explicitly about race from very young ages to counter negative social messages and build a strong sense of identity.

These parents have responded to the racial epithet overheard at recess in age-appropriate ways. They’ve figured out when to have “the talk,†explaining how their children must conduct themselves around police officers. They’ve had complex discussions about equality: “We should all be equal, we all have equal worth, but we don’t all experience equality yet.†Parents of children who are not white have long contemplated how to make their kids aware of painful racial realities in the United States, while simultaneously nurturing resilience and a healthy sense of self.
So they fostered racism in their children and then we wonder why there is a racial divide with many blacks and Latino playing the victim?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Interesting.
The mother is concerned about the simplistic view that the public school is presenting and this is a bad thing?
wrong. the mother is horrified that her daughter would be so gauche and politically incorrect as to admire George Washington, and thus presents simplistic, context-free information to her in order to shock her out of it. and that's a bad thing.

Quote:
Isn't it a parent's job to question what one's child is being taught?
it depends. if the kid is being taught that two plus three equals five, questioning that would be pretty stupid, don't you think?

Quote:
These topics continue to confuse me.
Aren't public schools "liberal indoctrination centers?"
often, but not invariably. did you see someone say that on this thread, or are you simply diverting?

Quote:
Doesn't that make them "bad" by default?
see above.

Quote:
Or is their being defined as "good" or "bad" depend on which part of the curriculum one agrees with?
If a "liberal" questions the curriculum, the school must be doing something right, is the argument?
that's entirely dependent on what the question is, and the curriculum concerned.

Quote:
In any event, if not for these opportunities to bash others' opinions, how ever would people raise their own self-esteem?
Don't trip over that superiority complex.
is that how you do it? doesn't sound like it would work very well.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yet that's not what she said. She said she was horrified that her kid was so into George Washington. Then she told her about him owning slaves. She didn't balance it with her daughter's admiration, she wanted her daughter to not admire him at all. She could have said that she was happy her daughter thinks he did good things for the country, but lets learn a little more about him. She could have put the Slave ownership issue into historical context as well. Nearly everyone who had any sort of wealth, including the middle classes, either owned Slaves, had indentured servants, or a maid/butler/housekeeper. She could teach her about what an awful part of our history that was and it is wonderful that we had some awesome presidents that wanted to end slavery. Abraham Lincoln, anyone? Then she could have taught her about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X. She could talk about people who are making a difference in the African American community, and how it's so cool that there are opportunities now for ALL races to succeed and get ahead. There are numerous examples of African Americans who made important contributions to the U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
There's nothing wrong with that, but the person that wrote the article didn't teach her daughter anything other than how awful he was. She didn't put anything into historical perspective.
The child had already been taught about the positives of Washington via school. Her sharing negatives of Washington at home leveled out what the child had already learned.

Also for you and the other posters, she never said she was upset that her daughter admired Washington. She was upset at the school system for teaching a one sided history of the man and stated she felt she had a responsibility to provide a more accurate portrayal of Washington and other eras and figures in history to her child.

Not sure why you all don't get that.

And FWIW I am black and I get sick of people only talking about MLK and Malcolm X (and Harriett Tubman and Rosa Parks). There are way more black people to learn about.

But even with those two men above, they don't really balance out MLK either IMO and they ALWAYS focus on the I Have a Dream Speech, something that was a recycled speech he gave more than once at multiple venues. IMO the focus should be more on his work and not that one speech and especially be centered on the Letter From a Birmingham Jail.

Hopefully, like this mother did with Washington, when the school does bring out what I call the "token black history figures" she'll be able to counter that lack in education as well with other people and movements that took place prior to and after the mid 20th century.

And don't get me started on Abraham Lincoln lol. He did not free slaves and was okay with keeping them enslaved as well. I've spoken many times with both of my kids about the myths of Lincoln.

Again, I feel it is important to frame persons in history from a human perspective. They didn't all do good things. Those who are "bad" didn't all do bad things. It is important to realize that people are capable of both good and bad and that we should never just judge them as either/or.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
So they fostered racism in their children and then we wonder why there is a racial divide with many blacks and Latino playing the victim?

Stupid is as stupid does.
Actually, we teach our kids about race so that they won't grow up and out into the world and be surprised. Most of them/us still are surprised when we face prejudice or outright racist remarks for the first time in our lives.

I know I was suprised even though I got a lot of talks and lessons from my elders as a child.

However, after being the target of prejudice and racist remarks, I had the advice and lessons to fall back on and due to that, we don't get "bitter" like many whites seem to think we do. Ignoring the fact that black people are black causes a "racial divide" because those who ignore cannot admit that the way someone is treated may be predicated on their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies