Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Back in the 1600's that was a huge deal. If he hadn't specified that they were to be freed, the State would have taken them and resold them into Slavery or divided them up to his surviving family members. Back then, probably everyone he knew owned Slaves and could have cared less what happened to them after they died. He may have been ridiculed or chided by his friends/neighbors on his final wishes.
Really? The 1600's? That's when George Washington got involved with slaves?
And no they wouldnt have been sold back into slavery, the would have been set free.

"In 1780, Pennsylvania passed the Gradual Abolition Act, a law that freed people after they turned 28 and that automatically freed any slave who moved to the state and lived there for more than six months." Slaves already in state before 1780, were slaves for life.

"if the non-resident slaveholder took his slaves out of Pennsylvania before the 6-month deadline, it would void his slaves' residency. The 1788 Amendment prohibited this rotation of slaves in and out-of-state to subvert Pennsylvania law."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Just wanted to note that Washington did not live in Pennsylvania, he lived in Virginia. But I'm thinking the mentioning of Pennsylvania, which FWIW caused a majority of my mother's maternal ancestors to be counted as "free blacks" post Revolution, means that he could have taken them to Pennsylvania to free them.

Virginia did allow masters to free their slaves. There were rules surrounding how to do it, but Washington could have freed them in in Virginia during his lifetime if he really wanted to do so.

He didn't because he viewed blacks as inferior and because he knew that they were the primary source of his family's wealth and so he didn't want to give away his "property."

Wanted to also note that many times when owners of slaves specified in their wills to free their slaves, those slaves usually were not freed because of the protestations and legal maneuvers of the rest of the family to prevent it from occurring based upon the above - that they were a source of wealth. So the best way to free slaves would have been to do it while he was alive. He didn't so he should not be looked at as some sort of benevolent person when it comes to slavery IMO.

He was a "great leader" of white men and of the ruling class of this country at the onset of the war. But he was not a great leader for all Americans -including women, non-property owning white men, people of African descent, and native Americans. Many of his activities worked in all of the latter persons worst interests.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I'm all for moonbat mommy telling her poor child "the truth" about George Washington. I doubt she gave the child proper context or enough information to truly understand the geopolitical and historical factors at play during his lifetime. Hopefully said child will figure that out on their own someday.

I do hope, however, that some day we will move from a Eurocentric version of history and tell "the truth" about ALL cultures and the millenia old habit of exploitation of people in this world. We do NOT, for example, teach the real way the slave trade was conducted. Many people believe European slavers went out with nets into Africa and captured black slaves.

Gone from the discussion is how Europeans actually got into the slave game HUNDREDS of years after it started. It had been ongoing from western and eastern Africa and through into Arabia for centuries before the first European slaver purchased a black slave. It was VERY robust, and magnitudes more Africans were shipped east as compared to west. (European slaves were also taken from southern and eastern Europe and sent to Northern Africa and the Middle East, but that's a different story).

The richest man to ever live was a black Muslim whose fortune was built partly on slave trading. Afrocentrists to this day extoll his glory.

TEACH a TRUE "peoples" history of this world --- not just a "how white people were bad" version. I think once and if we do that ALL people will have some reckoning about their ancestor's actions and then truly decide the best path is to move forward for everyone without the guilt politics.

Until then, white liberals are the absolute worse, and educated POC who should KNOW BETTER about their own histories gladly ignore or downplay their own sordid past in empire building, colonialism, slavery and exploitation.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
poor kid would be better off in an orphanage than with this SJW loon

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/14...y.com/?p=82179

Communism straight up
Breeding hatred for your nation.....

This is the enemy of freedom & liberty for all.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
A federal republic, our current form of governance, is not in the best interest of those with the most to lose.

Do you think that the elite want to be governed by us peasants?

This form of government is an outlier. It will not last because they are going to use finance to take it away from us.

This is just part of the campaign.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm all for moonbat mommy telling her poor child "the truth" about George Washington. I doubt she gave the child proper context or enough information to truly understand the geopolitical and historical factors at play during his lifetime. Hopefully said child will figure that out on their own someday.

I do hope, however, that some day we will move from a Eurocentric version of history and tell "the truth" about ALL cultures and the millenia old habit of exploitation of people in this world. We do NOT, for example, teach the real way the slave trade was conducted. Many people believe European slavers went out with nets into Africa and captured black slaves.

Gone from the discussion is how Europeans actually got into the slave game HUNDREDS of years after it started. It had been ongoing from western and eastern Africa and through into Arabia for centuries before the first European slaver purchased a black slave. It was VERY robust, and magnitudes more Africans were shipped east as compared to west. (European slaves were also taken from southern and eastern Europe and sent to Northern Africa and the Middle East, but that's a different story).

The richest man to ever live was a black Muslim whose fortune was built partly on slave trading. Afrocentrists to this day extoll his glory.

TEACH a TRUE "peoples" history of this world --- not just a "how white people were bad" version. I think once and if we do that ALL people will have some reckoning about their ancestor's actions and then truly decide the best path is to move forward for everyone without the guilt politics.

Until then, white liberals are the absolute worse, and educated POC who should KNOW BETTER about their own histories gladly ignore or downplay their own sordid past in empire building, colonialism, slavery and exploitation.
Can't rep you again for now but right on, again.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:

Interesting.
The mother is concerned about the simplistic view that the public school is presenting and this is a bad thing?
Isn't it a parent's job to question what one's child is being taught?

These topics continue to confuse me.
Aren't public schools "liberal indoctrination centers?"
Doesn't that make them "bad" by default?

Or is their being defined as "good" or "bad" depend on which part of the curriculum one agrees with?
If a "liberal" questions the curriculum, the school must be doing something right, is the argument?

In any event, if not for these opportunities to bash others' opinions, how ever would people raise their own self-esteem?
Don't trip over that superiority complex.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:04 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
A federal republic, our current form of governance, is not in the best interest of those with the most to lose.

Do you think that the elite want to be governed by us peasants?

This form of government is an outlier. It will not last because they are going to use finance to take it away from us.

This is just part of the campaign.
It is the best form of government, a republican form, there is no other that compares. The problem is that such a government was designed for free people who are diligent in protecting their liberties. The people today are lazy peasants more interested in hand outs than they are being vigilant to the protections of their liberties. This nation is having issues because many are content to be subjects, not free individuals. The lazy will always end up under the boot of the oppressor and I can't say that such isn't well earned.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:

I have to laugh at the headline... "Are We Raising Racist" but not a word about Jay-Z who campaigned for their candidate of choice who's hit song includes lyrics about PIMPING WOMEN.

Hey NY Times... "Are We Raising Misogynist"

Sang by Jay-Z who campaigned for Hillary.

You know I thug em, f*ck em, love em, leave em
Cause I don't f*ckin' need em
Take em out the hood, keep em lookin' good
But I don't f*ckin' feed em

First time they fuss I'm breezin'
Talkin' bout, "What's the reasons?"
I'm a pimp in every sense of the word, b*tch
Better trust than believe em

In the cut where I keep em
'Til I need a nut, 'til I need to beat the guts

Then it's, beep beep and I'm pickin' em up
Let em play with the d*ck in the truck

Many chicks want to put J*gga fist in cuffs
Divorce him and split his bucks
Just because you got good head,

READ THE WORDS in the lyrics! He campained for Hillary, they turn a blind eye to this garbage he's selling to the kids. Jay-z-big-pimpin-lyrics

YOUR Kids are growing up listening to this GARBAGE

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I thought this was very good...and accurate:

Quote:
We have better models. Parents of black and Latino children have long made thoughtful choices about when and how to engage in difficult and nuanced discussions about difference. Studies show that such parents are two to five times more likely than whites to teach their children explicitly about race from very young ages to counter negative social messages and build a strong sense of identity.

These parents have responded to the racial epithet overheard at recess in age-appropriate ways. They’ve figured out when to have “the talk,” explaining how their children must conduct themselves around police officers. They’ve had complex discussions about equality: “We should all be equal, we all have equal worth, but we don’t all experience equality yet.” Parents of children who are not white have long contemplated how to make their kids aware of painful racial realities in the United States, while simultaneously nurturing resilience and a healthy sense of self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies