Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support war with North Korea?
Hell yeah 17 11.04%
No way 107 69.48%
Undecided 30 19.48%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Their submarine fleet is joke, outside of their own waters.

Their main sea going boats are diesel electrics, with soviet design, pirated from the Germans at the end of WWII. They were formidable submarines....... in 1950.......

They have one nuclear powered, but, technologically backward sub that many look upon as more of an ecological threat than a military one. A nuclear fueled accident looking for a place to happen.

The NK navy might be a problem, regionally, and for a short time. The US fleet could put 'em away in a fortnight.

But overall, primarily, they are China's, and to a lesser extent South Korea's monster. Let them put NK back into their box.

CN
well, that is really the bottom line.

Nobody is arguing that America will win, but why bother?

losing one life is a waste.

Imagine all these refugees. Oh, My God. Who wants to deal with it?

It pisses me off when people are arguing "oh, we are going to win." You are going to win alright? at what cost? For what? What is the purpose of fighting the North Korea? What do you have to gain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 09:54 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
"Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson ruled out on Friday opening any negotiation with North Korea to freeze its nuclear and missile programs and said for the first time that the Trump administration might be forced to take pre-emptive action “if they elevate the threat of their weapons program” to an unacceptable level.

Tillerson on North Korea: Military action is 'an option' - CNNPolitics.com

Given Tillerson's recent comments, would you support war with N. Korea and if so why or why not? I'm torn on this because I know that while N. Korea needs to be stopped, China will get in on the action...
A preemptive war? No.

A responsive one where North Korea over plays it's hand and does something that constitutes an act of war?

All day long.

BUT......make it swift and decisive, no ***** footing (that got edited? REALLY? ) around with ridiculous rules of engagement like we did in the ME under Bush/ Obama.

If you're going to fight a war.....fight to win quickly and decisively.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No, sir!
Nobody who is sane wants to uncork that bottle.
Exactly. If North Korea attacked us, we would have little choice but to retaliate, but I would sure hate for the United States to be remembered (if indeed, there was anyone left to remember at all), as the country whose first strike ushered in global nuclear annihilation.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I voted for undecided because it depends on the circumstances. If North Korea were to attack South Korea? Then I would support military action to eliminate the threat. Are we unilaterally starting a war to boost Trump's poll numbers (ala "Wag the Dog")? Then heck no. We've been involved in enough pointless wars, American boys and girls should not have to come home in boxes to feed the Orange Buffoon's ego.
The context is that North Korea simply continues to work its nuclear program as it is now, possibly attaining the capability of Pakistan, dangerous to Japan and South Korea.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The context is that North Korea simply continues to work its nuclear program as it is now, possibly attaining the capability of Pakistan, dangerous to Japan and South Korea.
well, Japanese are not worried.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I can't claim to know all the ins and outs of what agreements were in place RE:Korea and just what our responsibilities actually were but I'd guess we still could have lived up to our responsibilities and gotten considerably less involved and I couldn't agree more about Vietnam. I've been looking for some reason Vietnam made sense for 35+ years now and have yet to find any. Now waiting for my turn to borrow H R McMaster's Dereliction of Duty from my local library to see his perspective on that horrid war.

It's actions like Korea and Vietnam that make me believe we need a Constitutional Amendment limiting the length of time a POTUS can deploy combat troops anywhere without a formal declaration of war being issued by Congress. I think we go off to war far too easily and the procedure needs to be changed.
That's called the War Powers Act, which was passed in 1973. Congress already has the power to prevent the president from going to war. It's called "no mo' money."

Attempts to create a Constitutional Amendment are going to fail on the question of "What is a war?"

Old 03-18-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post

The reason Vietnam was a failure is because the military actions were controlled by the politicians who bowed down to the protester pressure leave the military handcuffed fighting a war they could not win.
More because there was not a valid nation of South Vietnam with a valid government that even their own citizens strongly supported...rather like Afghanistan.

South Korea--particularly today--is a very much different proposition.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Probably location and own personal interest. NK offers a buffer from the US.
That's the only reason. Kim Jong Un has actually been busy gnawing apart any other ties between the DPRK and China, such as executing the DPRK's primary contact with the Chinese under the accusation of "favoring them over us." I believe Kim has yet even to meet with any high Chinese officials.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
The Chinese gov't is a self-serving, sneaky bunch. That country is a greater threat to America than we give them credit for. Look what they are doing in the South China sea, to Taiwan and don't forget how much of our debt they have.

They are building up their power and preparing to supersede America as the global powerhouse.

To answer your question, they are protecting the N. Koreans because they don't refugees pouring into into their country nor do they want the joint force of South Koreans/Americans next door when we remove Little Kim from power... true evil is silent but deadly.
This is a correct assessment.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:15 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Didn't it only end in an armistice?
Still hasn't officially ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies