Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times

Advertisements

Speaking of art, we have a nice new piece that just went up in Phoenix.
Billboard of Donald Trump Backed by Mushroom Clouds, 'Swastika Dollar' Signs Pops Up in Arizona | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 04:23 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't believe they're thinking at all when spending MORE! MORE! MORE! on a military that's already the most expensive in the world by far apparently isn't even questioned. It's supposed to be the Department of Defnse, I find it difficult to believe a country bordered by two oceans and two friendly countries should be so expensive to defend, time to strip the DoD of its nation-building fluff.
I get what you're saying, but with strength comes responsibility. We have a vested interest in every other country. We are not isolationists. I wish we were, but if we do not help weaker nations, we could, in the end, become overpowered.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:24 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
The National Endowment for the Arts is a leftist organization that attacks Trump and Conservatives....let them ge money from Soros.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The National Endowment for the Arts is a leftist organization that attacks Trump and Conservatives....let them ge money from Soros.
Where do you get this stuff? Now it's a leftist organization, etc, etc, etc. You just want to take away everything that provides enjoyment?

I fail to see why people get so much pleasure from taking away funding for things like painting, singing, dancing. Things that enrich our lives and are an important part of our heritage as Americans.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:53 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
How about we quit spending so much money on sending him to FL to play golf every weekend. Or separate housing for him and his 'wife'.

Oh, no, he is worth every penny of that, and besides, he is "working " while he is there ! (working on his golf score)

For someone who fought so hard to get in the WH, he sure looks for any excuse to not be there. He even has fans climbing over the fence to try to shake his hand and get a picture with him.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Interesting that the owner of that billboard plans to keep the billboard up as is as long as Trump is POTUS, and that the artist (different person from the owner) did a billboard about Bush 43 ten years ago (that they showed video of) as part of her PhD thesis.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:05 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Where do you get this stuff? Now it's a leftist organization, etc, etc, etc. You just want to take away everything that provides enjoyment?

I fail to see why people get so much pleasure from taking away funding for things like painting, singing, dancing. Things that enrich our lives and are an important part of our heritage as Americans.
It's been a leftist organization for decades. If you want to give money to artists and art endowments, feel free in fact I encourage you to support the arts. My life is not enriched by seeing Jesus submerged in urine, if you like that, contribute however you feel like.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I think it would be far more sensible to order a few less F-35 fighters at 100 million each than to cancel all of the public Arts, TV and Radio programs. They actually provide me with entertainment uncontaminated with corporate greed. I enjoy that.

To answer Burdell as to why we need a military 10 times as expensive as the rest of the world's combined it is simple. Our Military spending is the largest corporate welfare system that provides more wealth for its owners than any other government programs and our need to protect American Investors in other countries. Iraq was invaded to restore oil ownership to corporate America from the Iraqi's that nationalized it. We kiss the Saudi's ring so our investors still make profits.

I believe we could both save money and increase investment in America if we only protected investment in America. Investments in Somalia or Russia would not be protected. Investments in West Virginia would. That is why being protected by two friendly (so far) countries and two oceans is so important. The Somalis or Russians or anyone else can invest their own money in themselves. We do not need to reward anarchy or despotism just to make a dollar.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Nice. Can I send a contribution to the artist? Now that the National Endowment for the Arts won't have any money, this one deserves all the support she can get

Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 663,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Trump's level of art appreciation are crayon stick figures on a napkin. He is not exactly what we might call "intellectual ". He probably looks at the statue of Venus and brags he would have done a better job by putting arms on it .

Yeah, he is going to kill all these programs that he has zero understanding of.

Good one

I can understand how arts can seem superfluous at first glance when economics are down and people are hurting. Perfectly understandable.

But even if that might be too philosophical an issue for this specific board, a question is still very important. What distinguishes human beings from animals?

Some would say religion for instance, and I'd agree with them whatever my personal feelings about it are.

Art is also one of these specifics, among many others.

See Maslow's pyramid of needs.

Last edited by personne; 03-19-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies