Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have to believe there are facts, beliefs, and opinions. Facts are provable and remain facts even if taken out of context. Opinions and beliefs not so much.
The phrase doesn't say "alternative opinions or beliefs".

But many wish to push their opinions or beliefs as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not sure why people have a problem with this this term, as if it's not a valid concept.

All "alternative facts" means is when someone, either purposely or inadvertently cherry picks bits and pieces of information to tell a story, that, when viewed in a different way with all the facts, (or differently picked ones) may tell a very different story.

A simple example of how alternative facts manifest themselves in daily life might be when an accident, robbery or other event is witnessed by several different people from different angles, distances and levels of distraction, or attitudes about the event.

Each separate person may tell a different version of the event that they witnessed, without knowing or seeing the things from a different perspective.

But what's worse is when that perspective is purposely biased and the event is decribed with cherry picked information in a way that supports that bias and only that bias.

"Alternative facts" are simply the manifestation of our biased perspective.
Trump uses the term when he flat-out lies.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:34 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Facts are facts ,alternate viewpoints might be a better description of alt facts.
I think much of America is suffering a form of psychosis=
More like cognitive dissonance.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The entire concept of alternative facts is based on the premise that what is being said is neither a lie nor a falsehood, but the truth that contradicts another version of the truth because it is seen from a different perspective or analyzed a different way. I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept.
Nothing wrong with the term "alternative facts".

But in the case of KAC, she was using it to defend a blatant lie. So, as the OP suggested, in certain context, it may be OK. Those conditions were not met by KAC when she used the term with Chuck Todd, hence the justified backlash and ridicule.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 AM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
I get what you are saying however then you should say 'i didn't have all the facts and my assumption/interpretation was wrong'. What you don't say it that we were both correct and we had alternative facts. That just makes you look like an idiot

Old 03-18-2017, 09:58 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Can you give an example of a Trump team "alternate fact" that isn't a lie?
I double dog dare you.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The entire concept of alternative facts is based on the premise that what is being said is neither a lie nor a falsehood, but the truth that contradicts another version of the truth because it is seen from a different perspective or analyzed a different way. I am not sure why this is such a difficult concept.
The source of the term "alternative facts" was Kellyanne Conway in refuting the widely reported crowd size at Trump's inauguration. It was clear to anyone who looked at the photos supplied by news agencies as well as the US Park Service, that Trump's inauguration was less attended than Obama's.

There are no versions of the truth in this; it is clear that Kellyanne was trying to promote a lie, which she was calling an "alternative fact".

Old 03-18-2017, 01:19 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
A fact is truthful. I am 53 years old. This is a fact. If I say I'm 45 years old, that's a lie - or an "alternative fact". I can't even believe this is an actual discussion. If I say, "I wish I was 35 again", that's neither a fact or a lie, because it's not an absolute. Saying, "35 is the best age" is an opinion. It's not complicated.
And yet for some it is the New York Times crossword puzzle.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not sure why people have a problem with this this term, as if it's not a valid concept.

All "alternative facts" means is when someone, either purposely or inadvertently cherry picks bits and pieces of information to tell a story, that, when viewed in a different way with all the facts, (or differently picked ones) may tell a very different story.

A simple example of how alternative facts manifest themselves in daily life might be when an accident, robbery or other event is witnessed by several different people from different angles, distances and levels of distraction, or attitudes about the event.

Each separate person may tell a different version of the event that they witnessed, without knowing or seeing the things from a different perspective.

But what's worse is when that perspective is purposely biased and the event is decribed with cherry picked information in a way that supports that bias and only that bias.

"Alternative facts" are simply the manifestation of our biased perspective.
So it is neither a complete lie or a complete truth. I would like better from our elected leaders.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
They already have a term... lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies