Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:00 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times

Advertisements

Wasteful spending abounds at the Pentagon. A Politico report on the Pentagon's $44 billion Defense Logistics Agency notes that it spent over $7 billion on unneeded equipment. But Congress is also doing it's part.

Quote:
Congress is inserting its own pet projects into the budget, whether or not they are top priorities in terms of defense needs. The most notable example is the F-35 combat aircraft, which at $1.4 trillion over its lifetime is the most expensive weapons project ever undertaken by the Pentagon. Despite the fact that the plane is far from ready for prime time, Congress stuffed 11 additional F-35s into the defense bill that was signed by the president last month.
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...teful-spending

Mr. Trump's budget would increase the Department of Defense's budget by a whopping $54 billion, but even that, the Pentagon says, is not enough. When will the so-called fiscal Conservatives, who talk incessantly about cutting spending, address the bloat and waste in the Pentagon instead of throwing more money at them?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
When the Right talks about cutting spending they mean spending on anyone earner lower than average incomes.

They are fine with unlimited mortgage interest relief. they love the "mega backdoor rollover", they want more HSA, 401k,roth, IRA, 529s, long term capital gains of 20%, 500k primary res profit tax free. RE exchanges, depreciation methods.
I know very little about tax breaks, those are just off the top of my head and i am sure i missed more than i typed.

The entire system is designed to feed money up, taking money from Healthcare to pay for a massive Military build up is pretty much exactly what this country does. We start wars, and sell weapons.
Trump's budget is as mean as nasty as they could come up with and still maintain a pretence of caring about the US and it's people. It is a budget purposely designed to strip away as much as they can from the working poor.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:25 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Wasteful spending abounds at the Pentagon. A Politico report on the Pentagon's $44 billion Defense Logistics Agency notes that it spent over $7 billion on unneeded equipment. But Congress is also doing it's part.

Mr. Trump's budget would increase the Department of Defense's budget by a whopping $54 billion, but even that, the Pentagon says, is not enough. When will the so-called fiscal Conservatives, who talk incessantly about cutting spending, address the bloat and waste in the Pentagon instead of throwing more money at them?
So Congress decides what the Pentagon spends money on, not the Pentagon. If the equipment is unneeded, then look at Congress.

I seem to remember last year, DoD stating that they didn't want to buy certain things, but Congress pushed for it.

It's not "Congress is also doing its part." It *is* Congress and the president. Pentagon just takes orders.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
In the past I have had many conversations with conservatives who think the military budget is insane. They are still around I am sure. Probably voted for Trump, but recognizing that they may not agree 100% with him on everything.

At some point they will realize that they dont agree with him on a lot of things, and will react accordingly.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:52 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times
I love a robust defense budget because usually military towns vote Republican.

Hopefully, the Republicans cut welfare dollar for dollar and invest it in our armed forces and military.

I am hoping for Reagan level build-up of defense spending because it is good for America to have the best defense but also the money goes to Republican voters and district that the majority of voters support the commander and chief .

I laugh at these liberal special-interest groups that don't want a very robust defense that keeps the country safe but they want to continue these welfare programs that make so American cities look more like the third-world then a first-rate country.

If the Democratic party thinks they are going to win by wanting less defense spending and more welfare then they should run on it and see which party wins. Hopefully, 2016 is just the beginning of a wonderful, Republican American awakening.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:03 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I love a robust defense budget because usually military towns vote Republican.

Hopefully, the Republicans cut welfare dollar for dollar and invest it in our armed forces and military.

I am hoping for Reagan level build-up of defense spending because it is good for America to have the best defense but also the money goes to Republican voters and district that the majority of voters support the commander and chief .

I laugh at these liberal special-interest groups that don't want a very robust defense that keeps the country safe but they want to continue these welfare programs that make so American cities look more like the third-world then a first-rate country.

If the Democratic party thinks they are going to win by wanting less defense spending and more welfare then they should run on it and see which party wins. Hopefully, 2016 is just the beginning of a wonderful, Republican American awakening.
I have to agree. I'm in the defense industry, and more money towards defense equals to more contracts for my company, which means more bonuses and raises for me for a job well done! And with those bonuses and raises, I can use it to buy stuff and stimulate the economy! Plus, my company is already expecting an increase, so they are already hiring new people, many of them are going to be hired straight out of college as soon as summer starts.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:

I agree.

Not only that, but our budget is set to explode soon. (1) We are still near record low interest rates. If interest rates rise to the average under the Clinton years that will mean an extra $800,000,000,000.00 dollars a year in interest payments on our $20 Trillion and growing national debt. (2) Due to demographic changes and other reasons, many programs like SS are set to increase their spending in upcoming years.

Additionally, Obama's last full Fiscal Year (2016) saw the national debt grow by $1,422,000,000,000.00.

Interest Rate Hikes Could Explode Budget Deficits and National Debt | National Review

US Ends Fiscal 2016 With $1.4 Trillion Debt Increase: Third Largest In History | Zero Hedge

The honest truth is that Obama and the GOP congress left the budget set to explode in up coming years - and Trump very well might make it worse.

We can cut waste out of the military - will Trump have the guts to make the adult decisions?

Democrats screamed bloody murder of the sequester that saw overall federal spending increase - can they be adults too?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
Not that waste shouldn't be addressed, but you'll find waste in any government agency - federal, state and local. And while it may be billions at defense, it's probably no greater as a percentage than most government agencies - IOW no more wasteful. But you point out defense as it serves your agenda no doubt.

Here's plenty you can chew on if you're serious about waste...

http://www.heritage.org/budget-and-s...vernment-waste

Old 03-19-2017, 06:37 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Not that waste shouldn't be addressed, but you'll find waste in any government agency - federal, state and local. And while it may be billions at defense, it's probably no greater as a percentage than most government agencies - IOW no more wasteful. But you point out defense as it serves your agenda no doubt.
I point it out because while many, many things are on the chopping block or about to be cut, defense is set to get a massive increase. One that is not needed, and that would be better spent elsewhere, where there actually is a need.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:

If the F-35 push back will be the norm, I am sure DOD will have to justify their budget and if there is any surplus it will b transfer to other important projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies