Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The owner needs to drop to his knees and PRAY to J E E Z Z Z U S.
Honestly, wouldn't hurt for all of us to do a little praying for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Isn't the owner just a Christian and doesn't agree with gay marriage? And that was it? It was in 2012 but I remember people boycotting and me laughing and still eating there (now I don't, yuck, fast food).
Mike Huckabee had told his viewers and listeners to his radio show to go there for lunch on a certain day and I remember driving by a Chick-fil-a and the parking lot was filled and there was a line at the door.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
what a silly statement. GLBTQ people exist, they aren't a viewpoint. The only "freedom" that is being questioned is the freedom to be a bigot.
Let's get this straight....

You all want me to play pretend, so your feelings are not hurt...

GOT IT! LOL! Not gonna happen.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Public schools are "public", ie government ran and funded. a private business is PRIVATE, PRIVATELY OWNED AND RAN.

Seriously, you people need to learn the difference. A private business is not a publicly owned facility and the public has no rights over it.

The civil rights act only offers specific discrimination protections, but it does not cover a slew of other reasons a person can discriminate.

If I own a business, I can discriminate against ugly people, stupid people, certain hair colors or styles, your political position, your clothing, if you put crap in your face, have tattoos, watch cartoons, smell bad, and the list goes on and on concerning the millions of things I can tell you that you can not enter my business for.

I can also choose not to give a reason as to why I will not allow you to enter my PRIVATE business and there isn't crap you can do about. Sure, you could sue me and claim I am doing it because of a specific protection under the civil rights act, but that would be on you to establish, which would require a lot of evidence on your part.

Now in a PUBLIC business, property, building, etc... those are protected entirely as everyone who is a legal US citizen (sorry illegals, you have no rights here) has a right to be there and can not be denied or discriminated against.

The problem is, people have no clue what their rights are, they have no understanding of public vs private because they are entitled little babies who ignorantly think everything exists to serve them, for them, because they are who they are.

Fact is, you have NO rights to demand entry to private property or demand to be served. Like I said, a private business owner can turn you down for ANY reason as long as it isn't the "special snow flake" protection classes which are government mandated servitude under those cases.

Maybe educate yourself on the difference sometime?
No. You are *wrong*. It is illegal for a private business providing public services to discriminate against protected classes. Those businesses include places like Hotels, Reataurants, Gas Stations, etc... Civil Rights Act *1964*.

Now back to your original claim before your diatribe against a straw man... would you support a restaurant owner in denying the service of providing food to a paying customer because they were Black or Catholic or Gay?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
I think the op post is a spin. Chick-fil-a was not threatened. If you look up the entire article the mayor and city council said they would not oppose though they think it would be wise for th establishment to embrace the community,s attitudes.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I think the op post is a spin. Chick-fil-a was not threatened. If you look up the entire article the mayor and city council said they would not oppose though they think it would be wise for th establishment to embrace the community,s attitudes.

Well, they will not be open on Sundays

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Anti-discrimination laws are unconstitutional. They violate the very definition of liberty and freedom as they FORCE people to serve another on the grounds of a specific discrimination, ignoring property rights, ignoring the right of an individual to choose their own business.

This is why we continue to get into problems with more and more "types" of conditions that are applied to protections. The list will get bigger and bigger, more and more people will demand more protected classes as by the same argument that you apply race, religion, etc... you can also claim it is discriminatory and unjust to deny anyone for ANY reason.

So, we end with no liberty or freedom. The demand to be a protected class in a free society is nothing more than discriminatory abuse of liberty.

If you want to respect individual liberty, you let the business choose as it sees fit and the customers can choose as they see fit. Any other attempt to "regulate" is just infringement hiding behind a claim of good intentions and faux concern of misunderstood rights.
See everything is fun and games, religious freedoms blah blah, then this freaking guy shows up.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do not see how that is relevant.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Anti-discrimination laws are unconstitutional. They violate the very definition of liberty and freedom as they FORCE people to serve another on the grounds of a specific discrimination, ignoring property rights, ignoring the right of an individual to choose their own business.

This is why we continue to get into problems with more and more "types" of conditions that are applied to protections. The list will get bigger and bigger, more and more people will demand more protected classes as by the same argument that you apply race, religion, etc... you can also claim it is discriminatory and unjust to deny anyone for ANY reason.

So, we end with no liberty or freedom. The demand to be a protected class in a free society is nothing more than discriminatory abuse of liberty.

If you want to respect individual liberty, you let the business choose as it sees fit and the customers can choose as they see fit. Any other attempt to "regulate" is just infringement hiding behind a claim of good intentions and faux concern of misunderstood rights.

IIRC the controversy was over the CEO's stated personal belief, based on his religious faith, that marriage should be a commitment between one man and one, not on any business practices that could be misconstrued in any way to be anti-gay.

So apparently these LGBTWhatever warriers out there looking for a cause don't believe that anyone should be entitled to even personal beliefs, or opinions that don't meet with their approval.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It would be nice if they offered the free senior drinks, tho. The ones in the deep south region are ignoring a large segment of their customers and a lot of seniors are going to the competition instead because of it. that is a good example of what it means to a business to fail to embrace the community and the community will fail to embrace the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies