Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM

882 posts, read 688,283 times

Advertisements

They sure pissed the country off in a hurry.

I also find it amusing that so many of them waste so much energy complaining about things when they should know it's unlikely any change of power can take place for at least four years (last I checked there were only 8 Republican seats open vs 23 Democratic seats ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
They won't be getting it again. They have nothing

Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
They sure pissed the country off in a hurry.
Which is what the Republicans seem to be doing now.

Just remember, the pendulum swings both ways.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Mem'ries light the corners of my mind. Misty water-colored mem'ries of the way we were. Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind. Smiles we gave to one another for the way we were. Can it be that it was all so simple then or has time rewritten every line. If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me would we, could we

Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
..........Just remember, the pendulum swings both ways.
That's what Millard Filmore said.

He was the last Whig president.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's what Millard Filmore said.

He was the last Whig president.
The Democrats GAINED SEATS IN THE US HOUSE AND US SENATE THIS ELECTION, which means.... wait for it.....THE REPUBLICANS LOST SEATS IN THE US HOUSE AND US SENATE!

Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The Democrats GAINED SEATS IN THE US HOUSE AND US SENATE THIS ELECTION, which means.... wait for it.....THE REPUBLICANS LOST SEATS IN THE US HOUSE AND US SENATE!
Even if true, we have seen the Dems lose power each of the last 4 election cycles and had a complete changeover from entirely Democrat run nations to entirely Republican run nation in 8 years time. If the Republicans continue their 4 consecutive election power increase in the 2018 election (Highly likely given the number of Dem Senators running in states Trump won), the Dem power will be at an all time low.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Even if true, we have seen the Dems lose power each of the last 4 election cycles and had a complete changeover from entirely Democrat run nations to entirely Republican run nation in 8 years time. If the Republicans continue their 4 consecutive election power increase in the 2018 election (Highly likely given the number of Dem Senators running in states Trump won), the Dem power will be at an all time low.
It is true, just look at the results of all the house and Senate races if you don't believe me.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
You do know this is a fairly common historical event, the control swings back and forth. Eventually it will go the other way again. My biggest concern is how extreme the swings seem to be. Extremes on either side would probably not be good.

Given the loss of seats by the GOP, its a good indication that the swing is now reversed. Hard to say for sure. I expect the 2018 mid terms to be educational on this matter, Especially given the challenges faced by democrats in mid terms historically. If the dems gain seats in the mid terms, it will be a good indication that the swing back has started.

Additionally given the timing of it all, I expect the swing to occur fairly fast. If we hit a recession (which occur regularly no matter who is in charge), then things will go quickly. Its why I find the constant "we won" stuff so fascinating. I knew eventually we would be back to being Republican for a bit, and knew it was coming. Posters who ignore the historical data and start going on about how the Dems are finished are kind of tiring, just as those posting the same about the Republicans were.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 AM

Liberal logic at its finest. Yes, they were expected to pick up seats because there were 24 Republican seats vs only 10 Democratic, but they fell short of the net gain of 5 seats that they needed (despite their gloating that they would...similar to how they thought Clinton would win). Now the tables are reversed with 23 Democratic seats to 8 Republican. But it's good that the Democratic Party is still delusional enough to think that somehow they'll get control. Even one of the Liberals favorite sources, WAPO, has an article essentially laughing at Democrats who seriously think they have any chance of gaining control of the Senate (I'd post the article but it's a violation of the policies here).

Mem'ries light the corners of my mind....LOL

Last edited by Independentthinking; 03-21-2017 at 12:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies