Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 AM

10,097 posts, read 9,968,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
It is absolute lunacy that any buisness would adopt a liberal philosophy of division. Why alienate part of your customer base to make some kind of stand? Any business that openly supports BLM, a group that openly calls for killing police and "kill all white people" thinks that white people will feel like they are appriciated by that business? Its absolute insanity
It's not lunacy if they include new things in the bottom line such as corporate branding. They don't want to be associated with BLM but they also want to be associated with the movement against "white supremacy" and for "diversity."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,413,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
...certain liberal traits such as sustainability, social responsibility and such.
Sustainability and social responsibility should not be liberal or conservative ideas. It is just common sense.

I work in printing, and some customers want FSC paper (Forest Stewardship Council) and/or SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative ) because they want to be seen as responsible. Some want soy based inks for the same reason.

The company I work for is involved in a lot of community projects and employees donate their time. That may be good PR but it is also just good.

The rest of it is marketing. If the target market cares about something companies are likely to know this and act on it.

I lived in China during the 60th anniversary of the founding of the government. It was a very patriotic time for the Chinese people, like a fourth of July on steroids. It amazed me how many American and European blue chip companies were advertising their congratulations. GM & Ford, McDonald's & KFC, and a whole bunch more. It makes good business sense for them, I am sure they do this all over the world regardless of the form of government.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:40 AM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
To claim that GOP puppets in Congress do not serve Wall Street, big pharma, big insurance and big oil is absurd. Big business does not support higher taxes and strong pro-labor regulation of the economy. Thats absurd. They hate New Deal social democracy type politicians. That's why they are marginalized and why the Democrats moved to the right in the 1990s with the decline of the unions, begging big corporations for funds/bribes.

Obamacare is Romneycare. Its a far cry from a single payer Medicare-for-all system which is demonized by the extended arms of the corporate elites; the mainstream media, think tanks and other means of propaganda.

Corporate Democrats would rather see Trump win than a Keynesian New Dealer like Sanders. A Trump win keeps the corporate Democrats in power and they can continue to serve big money like the GOP and not the people.
Geez...I was thinking that I'd have to go through every page in this thread before I found a sane posting. Lol

Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,895,826 times
Depends on the business.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times
Big business does what is best for big business.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Sustainability and social responsibility should not be liberal or conservative ideas. It is just common sense.

I work in printing, and some customers want FSC paper (Forest Stewardship Council) and/or SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative ) because they want to be seen as responsible. Some want soy based inks for the same reason.

The company I work for is involved in a lot of community projects and employees donate their time. That may be good PR but it is also just good.

The rest of it is marketing. If the target market cares about something companies are likely to know this and act on it.

I lived in China during the 60th anniversary of the founding of the government. It was a very patriotic time for the Chinese people, like a fourth of July on steroids. It amazed me how many American and European blue chip companies were advertising their congratulations. GM & Ford, McDonald's & KFC, and a whole bunch more. It makes good business sense for them, I am sure they do this all over the world regardless of the form of government.
Of course, and that is why I am saying that it makes good business sense for them. It's a part of their bottom line. To them it's not a left or right issue but just good marketing.

You're actually proving my point because I wasn't trying to say that it was some underhanded agenda. I am just saying that this is part of most business strategies and company philosophies. It's conflicting with more traditional values and nativist conservative beliefs.

What do conservatives do about this?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM

I think I should stress that I AM NOT saying that this big business and major corporations are engaging in some underhanded agenda to promote liberal values but are just engaging in protecting their business interests by tying them with liberal issues they think will market their companies better. It's just business. This is what businesses in this day and age believe. They're mostly liberal on social issues, very liberal and more so than the typical conservative.

If it's their bottom line, and companies are just exercising their rational interests, what are conservatives to do?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,666,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Exactly, so what are conservatives to do if the Disney Co. actually adds the liberalism into their bottom line? Are they not acting in their rational self interest there? Maybe that is why they feel the need to push the issue? There is money to be made in it and they're protecting their brand from being "on the wrong side of history."

These notions about morality, borders, American culture, anti-globalization mean nothing to companies that are international and finding new markets and trying to stay relevant in a changing world. Traditionalism means nothing to them and the border talk is tribalism to them.
Where does this notion come from that conservatives broadly support Big Business? That's the fundamental question here, because they don't - and haven't for many years.

The establishment GOP supports and is the tool of Big Business. And that's why a puppet of theirs like Romney goes down in flames against the second worst Democrat Presidential contender in our lifetimes.

Stop confusing today's soulless GOP with conservatives/conservatism and your answer will be clear.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,318,357 times
I saw that with all the commercials from corporations like coke at the super bowl promoting illegal immigration. People need to understand whats happening in the west is nationalism and populism is starting to to rise, not conservatism.

Donald trump appeal was to nationalism and america first, not to conservative values and theories. Trump could have easily been on a third party ticket like perot or buchanan, most mainstream republicans were responsible for illegal immigration and outsourcing of jobs as much as democrats

Old 03-21-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Where does this notion come from that conservatives broadly support Big Business? That's the fundamental question here, because they don't - and haven't for many years.

The establishment GOP supports and is the tool of Big Business. And that's why a puppet of theirs like Romney goes down in flames against the second worst Democrat Presidential contender in our lifetimes.

Stop confusing today's soulless GOP with conservatives/conservatism and your answer will be clear.
Yes, but for many years establishment GOP politics dominated conservative philosophy while it was the left that cared about issues regarding globalization.

It's not that conservatives broadly support big business it's that their economic philosophy usually says that business exercises it's rational self interest and that non-market concerns are spurious; such as national sovereignty, traditional families, etc.

That's venturing into something entirely outside the market; the collective good, the national interest, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies