Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

You really can't eliminate Medicare or Medicaid. Individuals will be homeless or unemployed be unable to afford care. High cost of living will cause individuals to not be able to afford care. Retirees may not have enough savings or social security income to pay for healthcare.

You need a system that won't drain the Nation. A system that is balanced to ensure all individuals receive carr and affordable care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You mean people would have to pay for doctor visits, check ups etc. and pay attention to the actual cost of things? Oh the horror.
Apparently you've never been sent a $100,000 hospital bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Over consumption, which is a huge driver of our cost problem, would be eliminated.
If you are talking about the doctors who overcharge, order unnecessary tests and perform surgery when there are alternatives, I would agree. However, when people don't have insurance, they're usually the people who show up in the ER, not people who are covered. Most people don't go to a doctor just because they have health insurance.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:26 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Say quasi done away. Individuals can apply for vouchers into let's say a State run program that helps them pay healthcare cost. Helps individuals who are homeless or living below the average living wage in their State can apply for Medicaid for 5 years. Those in the military active duty and over 65 receive universal healthcare. Mental Health and Substance care would be covered by excess tax on marijuana, cigarettes, and alcohol. Those who are veterans or in the Guard or Reserve can receive rebates on their health care cost. Say that there was less regulation in the healthcare market and patents were done away with. Individuals were taxed for catastrophic health cost.

With all that said individuals would go to a provider the provider would be transparent with their cost. Can shop around for places for care. There be no taxes on any health care services.

Would that work in the US?
Prescriptions can cost hundreds of dollars. How can people afford to pay for that.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Say quasi done away. Individuals can apply for vouchers into let's say a State run program that helps them pay healthcare cost. Helps individuals who are homeless or living below the average living wage in their State can apply for Medicaid for 5 years. Those in the military active duty and over 65 receive universal healthcare. Mental Health and Substance care would be covered by excess tax on marijuana, cigarettes, and alcohol. Those who are veterans or in the Guard or Reserve can receive rebates on their health care cost. Say that there was less regulation in the healthcare market and patents were done away with. Individuals were taxed for catastrophic health cost.

With all that said individuals would go to a provider the provider would be transparent with their cost. Can shop around for places for care. There be no taxes on any health care services.

You're not addressing the rising costs of healthcare.

We need more physicians. I'm talking hundreds of thousands more providers. We need primary care doctors and family practice doctors. We need residency positions in teaching hospitals.

We need healthcare not health insurance. I prefer universal health care. Eliminate myriad of paperwork, phone calls and wasted time seeking "authorization". If a physician wants you to have a test done, get it. Eliminate the bean counters. They don't do anything for your health.

Veterans and retired military deserve to have their healthcare taken care of. Why should bums get full coverage and vets get "rebates"?

Do away with so called "war on drugs". Decriminalize, legalize and tax all drugs. If some people insist on killing themselves why should society intervene?

Buy medications in bulk-just like Walmart. If big Pharma balks, buy meds overseas.

Put Phil Gramm (Medicare part D) in prison for fleecing America.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:

I don't know what you're asking. What if your doctor tells you tests are required to determine the problem? Do you know what it costs to get an MRI? I had a broken pelvic bone in 2010 and my medical expenses totaled $22,000. Actually, that's not a high hospital bill at all. I know people who were charged more than $150,000 for one hospital stay. If you get cancer, chemo can cost more than $40,000 for an 8 week treatment. When I was in FL last year, a neighbor broke his arm and it cost him over $2,000 for one visit.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:

If an individual is on Medicare say a ER visit is $1,000 they would only have to pay $250. Maxed prices for generic services would be determined by various health representatives and lawmakers in their own State's.
Medicare isn't a state run program. I edited my post, since it's too complicated to explain in detail. However, Medicare is not free after someone turns 65.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-23-2017 at 01:17 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 02:06 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Medicare isn't a state run program. I edited my post, since it's too complicated to explain in detail. However, Medicare is not free after someone turns 65.
Damn straight it isn't! As the primary care giver for my Grandma, who just past at 100, we paid more than 10k yr for her medicare for more than 35 years. In the last 3 years she probably racked up 100k in med charges... that we spent more than 350k in insurance for.

Not everything is as it seems to people that have no clue about such things.

Quote:
When I was in FL last year, a neighbor broke his arm and it cost him over $2,000 for one visit.
$2K? Here in Cali it's a bit different. My wife broke her ankle and it cost $11K... 25 years ago. That same broken ankle would cost more than $100k here and now. Dealing with the hospital was like dealing with the mob.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 AM

I am saying make Medicare free after 65. Do away with Medicare block funding to States doesn't help. Medicare coverage would be based off of household size and average COL in the State. Be ekihiblr to apply if below the average COL. If you do apply say you are not unemployed or homeless would be on it for 4 years. The State would cover 60% of your health care bills.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I don't know what you're asking. What if your doctor tells you tests are required to determine the problem? Do you know what it costs to get an MRI? I had a broken pelvic bone in 2010 and my medical expenses totaled $22,000. Actually, that's not a high hospital bill at all. I know people who were charged more than $150,000 for one hospital stay. If you get cancer, chemo can cost more than $40,000 for an 8 week treatment. When I was in FL last year, a neighbor broke his arm and it cost him over $2,000 for one visit.
After the transition period generic services like MRIs and so forth the mad cost would be determined by the State. The cost would reflect on average COL Without insurance the goal would be to lower cost of care. So State X has a higher COL MRI be $10,00. However, neighboring Stats has a lower COL their mac cost for an MRI is $5,000. Can shop around for cheaper care with no restrictions.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:47 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Keep government and insurance out of health care, and prices will drop to what people can afford to pay.

Health care providers will have no choice but to charge what people can afford to pay -- just like car sellers, restaurant owners, etc.

Of course, the simple and obvious solution will never be the one that stupid people pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies