Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I do not watch Fox.
I can't stand it.
yeah, watters is a guy who goes around asking questions until he gets enough footage of people answering wrong, then edits it for only the wrong answers, and shows it on fox as though 99% of the people are really stoopid. He did it sooooo well that he now has his own show on fox. Proof positive that noxious people get ahead in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why do you think Democrats are trying to hide racism?

If anything, it is today's Republicans trying to hide their current, present day, racism....

Everyone who knows anything about American history knows that Lincoln was a Republican. Even Democrats. Also anyone who isn't afraid to admit reality know that America's government was founded during an era that asserted white men were superior to all others, so our entire country was founded on an ideology of racism. It doesn't matter what party. FYI - neither Republicans nor Democrats as we know them today were around in the infancy of this country.

Where have any Democrats in this thread or any others tried to "claim" Lincoln.

Man you Republicans are really odd, just making up stuff it seems to have something to be upset about Democrats over. Democrats don't claim Lincoln. Republicans do today in order to act like since Lincoln was a Republican, it means they can't be a racist lol. You all fail to acknowledge that like our Founding Fathers, Lincoln held to the idea that white men were superior to all others. He was a racist too.
Plenty of people were against slavery and believed in equality when our country was founded. The problem is that government was given the power to say who was a person and who was property.

Liberalism loves giving such immense power to government and can't seem to grasp the implications.

It was government preventing two gay men from getting married.

It was government preventing a black man from marrying a white woman.

It was government interning Japanese Americans.

It was government setting up seperate but equal.

It was government saying a man was property of another man.

Liberalism is a big fan of allowing government to have such power.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Obviously Trump didn't know.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Well, I can't blame Trump for being a little confused. I mean, every morning when I wake up I find it difficult to believe who our president is today! Sometimes I slap cold water on my face.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Where have any Democrats in this thread or any others tried to "claim" Lincoln.

Man you Republicans are really odd, just making up stuff it seems to have something to be upset about Democrats over. Democrats don't claim Lincoln. Republicans do today in order to act like since Lincoln was a Republican, it means they can't be a racist lol. You all fail to acknowledge that like our Founding Fathers, Lincoln held to the idea that white men were superior to all others. He was a racist too.
Democrats are always trying to say that if Lincoln were alive today he'd be a Democrat. It's pretty common stuff that's said amongst them. I find it odd that you don't know that. If you know that we supposedly use Lincoln to offset our "racism", then you should know the counter argument by Democrats is usually that if Lincoln were around today that he'd be a liberal Democrat.

Sorry but your ignorance doesn't constitute a fail on my part.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Plenty of people were against slavery and believed in equality when our country was founded. The problem is that government was given the power to say who was a person and who was property.

Liberalism loves giving such immense power to government and can't seem to grasp the implications.

It was government preventing two gay men from getting married.

It was government preventing a black man from marrying a white woman.

It was government interning Japanese Americans.

It was government setting up seperate but equal.

It was government saying a man was property of another man.

Liberalism is a big fan of allowing government to have such power.
LOL at this.

Question for you - who decided to set up the government of the USA....?

I'll even answer it for you - people did.

Governments don't just appear out of thin air. People create them.

And none of the above has anything to do with what I stated - fact is that Democrats do not try to "claim" Lincoln. Republicans "claim" Lincoln to try to prove they aren't a racist party and they fail to acknowledge that Republicans of the 19th century were liberals and that Lincoln was a racist liberal.

I guess according to you though that racism also appears out of thin air and is not something created by people.

Also, I'm not a liberal. I'm an independent moderate. But I'm not stupid about history like most people are today regardless of political affiliation.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Democrats are always trying to say that if Lincoln were alive today he'd be a Democrat. It's pretty common stuff that's said amongst them. I find it odd that you don't know that. If you know that we supposedly use Lincoln to offset our "racism", then you should know the counter argument by Democrats is usually that if Lincoln were around today that he'd be a liberal Democrat.

Sorry but your ignorance doesn't constitute a fail on my part.
Lincoln was a liberal. That's why they say that.

Do you believe that he was not a liberal? Do you believe that Republicans of the 19th century, who advocated for either outright, immediate abolition (the most liberal of the liberals back then of which Lincoln was not), or those who advocated for the halt of the spread of slavery to new territories and states (the moderate liberals of which Lincoln was) - do you believe that these were conservative views and would pass muster with today's Republican conservatives? Due to me knowing about the history of our nation and the politics at play during Lincoln's era, it is very true today to say that Lincoln was a moderate liberal. He was not a conservative in his era. Unless you believe that Republicans today are liberals, then it would be true that today, Lincoln would be a Democrat since they are the so-called "liberal" party.

I am aware of Democrats saying that (not ignorant about it). But they don't say he WAS a Democrat, which is what the thread is about.

And again, Lincoln was a racist liberal. Practically all whites in America in the 19th century were racist as they believed whites were superior to other ethnic groups. I honestly don't even see why people bring up Lincoln to make themselves feel better about race or their chosen political party.

Lincoln is dead. We've grown a great deal as a nation and IMO both Republicans and Democrats really aren't all that different anyway when it comes to governing.

I don't align myself with any political party because it is useless in today's political machine.

Not sure why you Republicans won't admit, from an historical perspective though that Lincoln was a liberal. He was. If you don't know that, you don't know the history of your party or the anti-slavery movement.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Slavery was not the cause of the civil war. Economics was. The northern controlled congress passed tariffs on southern goods. That was the start of it. Lincoln's proclamation only applied to the 7 states that had seceded at that time. Slavery was still legal in the other slave states. Read your history. Lincoln even stated that he had no intention of outlawing slavery.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The basic conflict that created our Civil War was the cultural difference between Aristocratic Planters with their slave operated plantations and the Northern merchants with their evangelical protestant religions that stressed individualist efforts and a strong central banking system.

I have often wondered how the Planters ever managed to get poor white farmers to fight for those that kept them poor.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
I knew Lincoln was a Republican, the first one even. I thought that was common knowledge.

That's a good point. Lincoln certainly did his share of good things during his time in office, but he certainly had his flaws; he was only human and made mistakes, and he shouldn't go down as someone who was completely perfect.
Sadly, I bet at least 80% of the population of the US do not know that Lincoln was a Republican. Look at some of the "man on the street" interviews to comprehend just how ignorant much of the population actually is. Which goes a long way to explain why Bernie was as popular as he was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies